Name plate question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by FirstyearGr1, Aug 4, 2005.

1. FirstyearGr1

FirstyearGr1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

ok I have a very basic question

I'm looking at name plates to buy for my kids' desks. Really Good Stuff has the basic ones just for their names and the ones that have all the letters numbers etc

I was wondering if anyone was a strong advocate for one over the other.

I know I am sounding nit-picky but the ones with the extra stuff seem better but they are more than double the price!

Thanx :)

3. Teener

Teener Companion

Aug 4, 2005

I buy the thick plastic ones ($19.50 for 30) from Really Good Stuff. I couldn't live without them! They have the alphabet, shapes, colors, right and left, and a number line 1-20, a place for their name and a 100 board.

They are called "Virtually Indestructible durable self-adhesive plastic desktop helpers" The ones that are great for 1st grade are the "100 Grid Desktop Helpers" and they ones for Zaner-bloser print as well as D'Nealion print.

I know the price is a little high, but they really are "virtually indestructible. They will last all year. I never had to replace any for the entire year. By the end of the year a few were peeling up around the corners where kids had picked at them but they were still stuck to the desks!

I think this is one of the best investments I made for my 1st grade classroom. I have already ordered them for this year.

Also, I have been told that dry erase board cleaner, rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, and something else I can't remember now will clean off the names if you need to reuse one or if you mess up. I haven't tried this myself, but I plan to this year for any students that move early on.

Hope this helps.

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 4, 2005

could you save money by making your own? Use a few sheets of card stock, and use your computer to set the names up in a fun font, spaced just right you could make them flat or where they will can be made into trifold, then use clip art or stickers to decorate, you could even laminate them if your school lets you laminate them. If you set your students up where they are in different groups use different colored card stock. You might want to turn the names sideways when printing if you can, so that you can fit 2 rows of names on the page, if you do a tri fold name tag put four names per page if you make it just a flat name tag taped to the desk, you can get more names per page.

5. NCP

NCP Comrade

Aug 4, 2005

I spend the money and buy the ones with the extra stuff. I like the fact that they have the alphabet, a number line, left and right hands, and the hundrededs chart. I did not like the Really Good Stuff plastic ones though because when it was time to take them off they left so much residue on the desks and it took me forever to get it off. Some of them had also molded underneath b/c the kids had spilled water on their desks. This last year I used some from my local school supply store that are just flat cardstock and contact paper. They stuck so much better and came right off, plus they were sealed all around and water couldn't seep underneath. A pack of 36 is about $8 and the contact paper was $2 at Walmart.
    Just my 2 cents!

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 4, 2005

For the first of the year I buy the DESK REFERENCE NAMEPLATES by Carson-Dellosa. It has a name line, manuscript alphabet & pictures, number line, shapes, colors, ruler, and right & left hand marks. It costs $6.99 for a pack of 36 at any educational supply store. For the rest of the year I buy name plates that correlate with my themes or behavior charts for the month. I spend anywhere from $2.99-$4.99 for packs of 36-48 (price depends on which brand you get). I've also got some really good ones from Dollar Tree for $1. If it's a folded tent (the kind Wal-Mart carries), I cut them in half and you get double the name plates (I tape them on the desks). If you save the extras, one time near the end of the year you could have the students pick their own and write their name on it. The kids enjoy that. There are also the "Cute Cards" by Frog Street Press. They're really plain but for $3.49 you get a pack of 84.

7. FirstyearGr1

FirstyearGr1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

Thank you all for your input :D There are so many great ideas out there!!

8. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Aug 4, 2005

One thing I do that may be more appropriate for older kids as I know the younger ones need to 'see' their names, but I put name tags on the front of the desk. That way they are visible from the front of the room. When we have guest speakers, parents on party days, other teachers, subs, aides, administration, etc., they can easily see each child's name. There is a lot of power in knowing a name!! ;) Maybe with younger students, just a cute cut-out of some sort would work on the front of the desk.....? :)

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2005

I buy the ones that hang off of the desk... so that when guests and subs come into the room- they can see most of the kids names. Just a tip that came in handy for me- if they stick to the desk, make sure that they do not violate state testing rules. A neighbor had the alphabet on hers & we spent the night before testing pealing them off because they couldn't have them.

Another teacher I know makes tents for name plates so you can always see the names & the kids can use the tents for pencil holders.

I like the printing off idea! Will save that for next year!

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 5, 2005

I'm not too fond of the self-stick ones. They're easy to get off, but they don't last as long. I like to laminate mine after I put the kids names on them. I also put my students assigned number (1-25) somewhere on the tag. It's a great reminder at the beginning of the year for them.
    *I probably should explain. I give my kids a number (1-25) to put on all work. It's also their number when we use our responders for e-instruction. I put their number up on the character bb, and library check-out. It really helps. The students are too concerned about their number to pay attention to others. I even have numbers on popsicle sticks so I can draw randomly. The students know they have to pay attention. The great thing is that I can use it from year to year. There are no names to worry about. My list is alphabetical and transfers over to my gradebook and filing system. Parents find it really easy to file papers when they have an assigned number.

11. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Aug 5, 2005

For the last four years I have spent money on the cute name plates. I never went with the ones with the numbers and alphabet because I never really felt like the kids would use them. This last year, about half way through, I changed my name plates. I didn't want to go buy new ones so I used colored sentence strips. I have always had my students seperated into "center" groups and I would assign them a color. I decided to give them a sentence strip name plate that matches that color. It will save me money and it added nice color to the room.

12. shrinkingviolet

shrinkingviolet Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

It depends....

I will be in a second grade classroom this year. In the beginning of the year, we are working on printing, while in the second half of the year we are teaching cursive. We change their name plates as they are learning cursive, so we have to be able to afford two complete sets. I say get the nicest ones you can afford, since you want them to last. :) But I also agree that you can design your own and cover them with contact paper - I have seen really neat ones done that way as well.

13. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 6, 2005

We're making nameplates on the first day of school. The students will get a strip of paper, and have to put their name on it (big enough for me to see from the front of the room) and then decorate it by drawing something they like to do. Then, they will each tell the class why they drew what they drew. I will laminate the finished products, and they will hang on the front of the desks all year. This really personalizes their desks and also serves as a getting to know you activity. This probably wouldn't work well with very young kids though.

14. teacherspet24

teacherspet24 Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

I just get simple ones with some sort of design and then use the extra wide nameplate tape that really good stuff sells to cover and stick it on to the desk. I don't use the ones with all the letters and numbers because, as someone already said, when it is testing time you either need to take time to cover it with something or rip it off. Plus I don't want them cheating using the mult. table square during a test.

15. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 6, 2005

Hair spray (cheap) also gets rid of permanent marker.

16. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 6, 2005

I print my own nametags on heavy paper. I have a CD-Rom that has virtually any printing/cursive font on it and I choose the one that matches what we use in the classroom. This way I can choose to have their names printed with arrows, lines, etc. I also group my students into four groups-animals, colors, sports and fruit. They have a sticker (those little incentive chart stickers) in each corner from each group. I tape them on with heavyduty tape-the wide clear tape from Really Good Stuff is cheap! I had to buy good stuff from an office supply store.

17. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 6, 2005

Last year, I used the one with the multiplication tables, planets, number line, and cursive lettering on it. At first I thought they were awesome... they were used in my internship class, too (however, the second grade version). One thing about this, though, is that students relied on them WAY TOO MUCH, especially in math class when they should have been memorizing their math facts instead of looking at the chart over and over again. Also at state testing time (FCAT), they had to come off because none of that can be available to the students during FCAT.

I felt that after FCAT, not having the charts right there helped the students to grow... a lot.

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 6, 2005

So this year, mine just have planets around the edge. It's a set from Teacher Created Materials... no facts or tidbits. :)

19. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Aug 6, 2005

One other way: :D
    Color (scribble) over the permanent marker with a dry erase marker; then, wipe with a dry cloth or paper towel. Do not know why it works, but it does! Has saved me alot of work when students have inadvertently used a permanent marker instead of the overhead wipe-off markers! :)

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 7, 2005

That's why I only use them for the month of August. I want to give them a little bit of relief from stress, but I don't want them to rely on them. All the others just have some type of decoration on it.

21. AncientCrossrds

AncientCrossrds New Member

Aug 7, 2005

Teachers at my school, in the upper grades that have standarized tests, have discovered that it works well to laminate the name tags and then velcro them to the desks so they are removable. This also allows them to take away the number chart and other helps that are there during tests but provide them when appropriate.

22. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Aug 8, 2005

AncientCrossrds, your velcro idea got me to thinking! :) :thanks: So...I used some big magnet sheets to make star shaped name plates to put on the front of the kids' desks. Turned out cute and no having to write out name plates and then tape them on the fronts of desks-will save alot of time! Not sure how they will hold up, but should be okay...? I think the kids are going to really like them, too. Hope so, anyway! :)

23. teacherspet24

teacherspet24 Rookie

Aug 8, 2005

Love to teach, that is a great idea for the front of the desks! I just might try it

24. AncientCrossrds

AncientCrossrds New Member

Aug 9, 2005

Yay! Glad I could help someone :)