Name one thing that would make your job less stressful

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Oct 17, 2011.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 17, 2011

The answer for me is more prep time!

I need more time to develop common assessments, evaluate assessments and data, learn from my peers, attend professional development workshops/conferences, explore ways to integrate technology, develop ways for students to set goals, contact parents, prepare for grades and report cards, and, heck-PLAN! It's just sad how little time we get. I have a meeting almost every day before and after school, and sometimes during my prep time. Our elementary schools have an early release day once/month because secondary teachers get more prep time, and they fill those 2 hours with meetings. :dizzy:

No wonder I'm at school every Sunday for 6+ hours.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2011

This is a tough question.

More planning time would definitely make things better for me.

I think, though, that I'm going to have to say smaller class sizes. If I had classes of 20-25 instead of 40-45, I wouldn't need more planning time (or at least not as much).

4. teacher mom

teacher mom Rookie

Oct 17, 2011

Having a personal assistant to help me at home or school where ever I would need the help. I agree with both ideas above more time is great but a class of 32 again scares me. It has been 15 years since I have had a class of 32 and with all the additional standards and lack of parent support I don't know how I would survive. And to think I teach in a good district with average income.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 18, 2011

Fewer directives from administration about what to focus on. We buy into so many programs, and we're expected to use each one regularly. They are really good, but there's just not enough time to use each one the way it was meant to be used and the students are very frustrated.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2011

I'm not stressed.

I don't know whether it's my school, my personality, or the fact that I've been at this so long. But on a typical day, I'm really not stressed about work.

(OK, getting NHS under control was kind of a nightmare at the start of the year; a compute glitch messed me up big time. But that was sorted out with the help of my AP.)

ETA-- OK, I thought of something small.

I don't have a homeroom this year (a favor to me, so I have time for NHS stuff.) But it would make things easier if I had a place for my stuff... an office, even a shared one, of some type or a file cabinet in someone else's office.

But space is at a real premium in my building-- we're absolutely full. so it simply is not going to happen.

I've appropriated a shelf in a cabinet of the faculty room as mine. It will do.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 18, 2011

Being allowed to just teach.

We have a new evaluation system this year that is just soooo much extra work-we have to be able to "prove" we've done everything. All the test prep pressure. This year has been really hard for me.

I just wish I could go in every day teach the way I know is effective and not worry about the other stuff.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 18, 2011

Not having screaming preschoolers.

Less paperwork!!!

More room or less kids.

For someone else to test the kids to come into my class and hold all my meetings (refer back to paperwork)

All that equals... just to be able to TEACH!

9. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2011

Exactly.

10. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2011

For me it would be ONE grade. Having the combination of a very low fourth and a restless fifth grade with one advanced is proving very difficult to manage; such a wide range...

The answer is? Clone me so that one of me can teach the fourth and the other can teach the fifth.

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 18, 2011

Having prep time each day so I don't have to spend the hours after school and on the weekends!!

Also, I echo the above: less nit-picky directives, less "programs" that cost a lot of money and we don't get the training or the time to use them properly - let me have the money for science experiments and art supplies and I'll be happy!!

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2011

A larger classroom.

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 18, 2011

To be respected as a professional who knows how to teach
    to make learning fun again for the kids-NO test prep, no formative assessments, no DRA's, no CBM's to stress them out!
    To actually teach more than just reading and math
    to do science experiments and social studies reader's theatre without having someone pointing at the clock
    BTW-ya'll caught me on a bad day!

14. brit2187

brit2187 Rookie

Oct 18, 2011

my very own secretary :)

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 18, 2011

I'm super busy, though not stressed. The main thing that will help me is when this year is over and I'll have gone through a full year of teaching 5th grade. Then next year, assuming I'm still a 5th grade teacher, it should be MUCH easier. Then maybe I can work a 50 hour week instead of a 60 hour week.

16. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Oct 18, 2011

Some duct tape for the complaining teacher down the hall. She's never happy and always loudly complaining! UGH! I try to stear clear of her but she's hard to run from all the time.

17. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2011

A para/TA- not even just for me personally, I'd even take one for the whole building. We don't have a single one. All of the schools I ever did practicums/student teaching at had them and the little things they did made life SO much easier. For example, I have to provide testing accommodations for my students, which for many includes test read aloud. This applies to any classroom test that's not reading, in 6 grade levels! If I dropped everything and went to read the test every time each teacher was having one, I'd never get to teach. I'd love to have a para in the building to help me with even just that. The school I student taught also had a para that helped progress monitor kids in tier 2 RtI for the classroom teachers- I understand that it's really hard for them to fit it in, but we just don't have anyone else. Every time I'm talking to my dad (he's a special ed teacher too) about something I just can't seem to fit into the day, his response is "Oh, our para does that."

18. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2011

I think the thing that would make my day less stressful is an actual break each day. I'm supposed to get a 15 minute break at some point during the day since I eat lunch with kids, but I am lucky if I get it.

The other thing that would make my day less stressful is more storage space and a little more time to prep.

19. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2011

I'd like to get rid of email. Seems like every email is asking me to do something else that I don't have time for...

20. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Oct 18, 2011

:yeahthat: If they won't pay for clerical assistants for us, at least give us the time to do those things: laminate, make copies, put together center activities, put up nice interactive, meaningful bulletin boards more than once a quarter!!!

21. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Oct 18, 2011

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 18, 2011

More autonomy

23. SweetHomeAlabam

SweetHomeAlabam Companion

Oct 18, 2011

How long of a list can we make??? hmmmm let me get the main ones.

1. I want to be able to TEACH!!! just leave me alone and let me do my job!

2. Stronger backbone of administration with better structure (not did not say more structure, just be consistent and stand up for the teachers that are worthy)

3. The ya-ya among the teachers/faculty...grow up people!!

4. Alabama....quit sticking your grubby hands in my pocket..leave my retirement and insurance alone.

5. Fewer students per class, 22 or less is best for me =)

6. Someone to make my copies and fight with the copier everyday that jams after its made 67 copies...for real!!!

7. Funding for supplies...I'm already buying a pack of copy paper per week for the second half of the year.

8. For everyone to do their part so that the same ones are not the only ones giving 150% ...

9. A JANITOR...We have no janitor, I hate cleaning the boys bathroom...its disgusting.

10. A pay raise so that I can buy a pair of yellow boxes every now and then without sacrificing lunch that week to get them.

Thats my top 10, if you need more, just let me know. lol

24. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 19, 2011

4. AMEN!!!!! I tell you, we won't be able to afford retirement until we are 90!!!!

9. What??? No janitor??? Really??? I know some of our schools don't have their own but they at least share one from another school.

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 19, 2011

I just want to be able to teach and get all the SPED paperwork done that needs to be done.

26. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Oct 19, 2011

Someone to make copies would be my ideal~!

27. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2011

Like a broken record:

#1. An assistant to help with all those time-consuming things that need to be done: tearing apart book orders, displaying student work, etc.

#2. More prep time that can be spent on planning and grading because I won't be doing all those things mentioned in #1!

28. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 19, 2011

We actually have a resource office that provides teaching resources, and they make our copies, laminate, and will cut if they have time (and if we ask nicely ;) ).

29. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 19, 2011

I'm feeling extremely overwhelmed these days but my list would include:

- less or no "duty": If I could have the 45 minutes I spend every day doing bus duty, my life would be MUCH easier.

- an assistant to make copies and file the random stacks of papers that are growing around my classroom

And if I'm really allowed to fantasize:

- a personal assistant at home who keeps the house clean, does the food shopping, and runs errands.

It's fun to dream! Can you see that cleaning and organizing are my problem areas?

30. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Oct 19, 2011

Support from administration would be absolutely wonderful.