name change question

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Julie, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Julie

Julie Rookie

Jul 22, 2005

I am getting married in September, 1 month after school starts. Should I go ahead and use my married last name or my current last name? I don't want to confuse the kids by changing my name 1 month later. Any suggestions? :love:

3. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 22, 2005

I did this a couple of years ago, myself. I used my maiden name for the whole year just to make it easier on the kids and everyone else for that matter. It takes awhile to go through the name change thing at the county office so I just figured it would be easier all around. The next year, I was able to start out at the beginning of the year with my married name. Of course, it still confused my kids when my former students would call me by my previous name in the hall. I had to explain that I used to be...... but now I am..... I am not sure my kinders quite got it.

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 22, 2005

I think you should use the new name. Especialy if you are a new teacher. Then they wont get confused.

5. ally101479

ally101479 Rookie

Jul 22, 2005

Changing Name

Hello!

I am getting married October 1 and when I return to school the kids will call me by my married name. I thought about it for quite awhile too, but I decided to start out with my maiden name and then switch over. The kids will be ok I think. Congrats on your upcoming wedding and have a wonderful school year.

Allison

6. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2005

I too am getting married in oct and i am going to use my new name. Of course the kids will get confused alittle but I don;t care. I want to use the new name

7. jnation

jnation Companion

Jul 22, 2005

Apparently October is a busy month for weddings...that's when I'm getting married as well!!!!

8. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 22, 2005

When I was teaching first grade at a Lutheran school in Panama City, FL, I started the year as Miss B___. I met a guy in the Air Force and, starting in January, I was Mrs. L___. The children thought calling me by a new name was fun!

P.S. That was 20+ years ago.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 22, 2005

It may be o.k. to switch over from the beginning! Students learn names quickly enough. My students knew how to pronounce my difficult to pronounce last name in my first week of teaching, so I'm sure the kids would be o.k. with your "new" last name after learning your "old" one as well. :)

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 23, 2005

I remember in 5th grade, my English teacher got married mid-year, and we had no problem calling her by her new name... that was actually a couple of days worth of journal prompts!!! :)

11. lexusann

lexusann Rookie

Jul 23, 2005

My principal got married November of last year. The kids had a little trouble at first calling her by her new name but adjusted better than I expected. I think it was harder on the other teachers and the principal herself than it was the kids. It was funny because if you called her by the wrong name the kids would whisper "no, it's mrs. __."

Good luck! :D

12. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jul 23, 2005

I'm so glad you wrote this. I am also getting married in September and was wondering the same thing. I think I might go ahead and start the year off with my married name. It'll only be a matter of 3 weeks for me anyway. Congrats!

13. SarahLorax

SarahLorax Rookie

Jul 24, 2005

i admire you folks getting married in the fall! i just got engaged and decided on a june 30 wedding, but in 2007--so that i'll have this first year of teaching to do nothing but plan teaching, next summer and school year to spend time planning both school and wedding, and then a good two weeks after regents exams for last-minute running around pre-wedding craziness. :) good luck!

14. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 24, 2005

Just wanted to congratulate all of you who are getting married this year..I know how hard it is to plan a wedding (i did it while i was in my last year of grad school)...I would suggest you start using your married names...especially is it makes it easier to make a theme for you class.

Good luck and Congrats!

15. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 6, 2005

THe year I got married I taught 3rd grade. I started out with my maiden name (this was my first year at the school), and after March 3rd, came back with a tan and a new name. The kids LOVED that I changed my name, and had so much fun reminding others when they forgot. They thought it was really cool that they were the only class that will ever get to do this! They also had a new sign for me with my new last name when I returned.

16. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2005

Ill be getting married next july, so it will be easy with a new class!
    I had a teacher get marriend mid year once, we loved the name change! We thought it was cool and of course the teacher did not mind when we sliped and called her by her old name!
    We also loved getting to see pictures after the wedding....I remember spending an afternoon loooking at them
    and we also threw her a "suprise" shower for her our music teacher helped us plan it.....we thought we were the coolest kids in the school!!

17. nascarkat

nascarkat Guest

Aug 7, 2005

Congrats on your marriage...I got married in March during Spring Break. I went by my new name when we came back from break. One of my students came up to me that first day back and called me by my new name. It was so cute because I could tell he had been practicing it during break! :D

18. Ali

Ali Companion

Aug 10, 2005

Children are aware of name changes when someone gets married, it happens all the time! I think it would be fine to change your name after the school year starts. I think that sometimes we worry about how the kids will take to things way too much. Personally, I think that changing your name is one of the exciting things to look forward to after you are actually married!

19. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2005

Wow, congrats to all who are getting married! I really admire doing it in the fall...I got married in June last year, and planning it during my student teaching was enough stress for me! In my experience, students won't mind a name change...most of them think it is fun. Good luck! :)