Name calling

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by terptoteacher, Oct 5, 2007.

1. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2007

I had a first grade boy call some children the name b**t face. This was the first time he heard the term and thought it was hilarious. One child told me what he said so I pulled him into the hallway to talk to him about it being not nice and inappropriate. He said he was going to apologize, but we had to quickly get ready to go to an assembly and we were late, so he didn't get a chance to.

After school, the principal informed me that a mother of one of the children called the name called the Superintendent!!! The mom didn't call me, or the principal, but went straight to the Super!!!!!

Can you believe that????

3. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Oct 5, 2007

WOW. so it looked like you didn't even confront the little boy. that's awful. what did you say? i HOPE you defended yourself.

pardon my naivete, but what's b**t face? or is that supposed to say b**ch face?

4. terptoteacher

Oct 5, 2007

b**t face aka bottom face:p

You know first grade boys.... anything about bottoms or bodily functions is hilarious!!!!

5. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Oct 5, 2007

What did your Superintendent say to the parent? Hopefully he or she explained to the parent about the correct chain of command so they know they should have called you first. We had a case in my school a few years ago where a few parents had a problem with a teacher but never discussed the problem with the teacher or the principal, but instead they went to a Board of Ed meeting and publicly bashed this teacher. Unbelievable. I hope everything works out for you in your situation.

6. terptoteacher

Oct 5, 2007

I told the principal that I pulled the little boy in the hallway and he said he'd apologize but time ran out.

Then I emailled the mother and told her what happened at school and that I talked with the child. I told the mother that I will not tolerate name calling and he will be apologizing Monday.

WHICH she would have learned had she called me in the first place!!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2007

Did you have a chance to document the incident and that you confronted the boy about it? I would disucss with the mom what happened and the circumstances behind why her son did not get an apology right away.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2007

Sorry terp...guess we were posting at the same time...great minds think alike!!

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 5, 2007

I hate people that go over your head. I remember one day when I was working at a daycare, there were two groups of after school program kids, in two different rooms. The other teacher was out to the bathroom many times, apparently sick. So I was standing between the two rooms watching both groups. Because of this, snack was late, and one of the parents comes in (a Kindergarten teacher no less!)... I see her talk with one of her kids, and then I see her leave... next thing I know, my boss is coming to talk with me. Of course, I explained to her the situation, and she understood, but it really made me upset that someone would go right over my head without talking to me... I could only imagine what would happen if a parent went to her principal instead...

10. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Oct 5, 2007

That is absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe a parent called the super over a dumb thing like that. The super probably thought it was stupid as well!

11. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Oct 6, 2007

i can't believe that the parent thought "bottom face" in another term was THAT big of a deal. agreed, it shouldn't be happening...but seriously it's not that bad to call the superintendent! i have a three year old who has heard other kids say a lot worse than that. i just tell her to tell that person that it isn't nice and that's an ugly word. that parent must not know what she's in for if we are talking about first grade!

12. terptoteacher

Oct 6, 2007

I was up all night worrying about what she could possibly want to talk with the super about. I just cant see calling the super over a name calling incident like that!! I wonder if there is another reason she's calling! I can't think of anything! I'm wracking my brain trying to think if I said anything that could be misinterpreted or what--but I'm coming up blank. That doesn't stop me from worrying about it though!
    My principal laughed it off and chalked it up to "one of those parents" and told me not to worry.

argggg!!!

13. cmw

cmw Groupie

Oct 6, 2007

Kids call eachother names all the time at school, at home, etc... If the parent acted like that over an incident so small, I can't imagine what she'll do when something bigger happens. The parent could also use it as a lesson with her child on how we respond to people when we don't like what they say. Good luck ;)