Name Art?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by New Teacher!, Sep 2, 2006.

1. New Teacher!

New Teacher! Rookie

Sep 2, 2006

Does anyone have any good name art ideas that I could use with my grade 3's during the first week?

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 2, 2006

I seem to remember having to write our name in LARGE letters, then trying to disguise the letters by making them part of the design as we illustrated something about us (for instance, the "i" in my name became a softball and bat, becuase I played softball at the time).

Write them in large "bubble letters" and decorate each letter differently

Write name in center, outline in a different color and color around, then outline THAT in a different color, and color between, and keep going until the whote paper is filled (it looks like colored "bubbles"... I don't think I explained it very well)

Someone on here had mentioned write first name over and over and over on a piece of graph paper, filling every square, then color each letter a consistent color (So "Susan" would color all the S's one color, the u's another color, the a's another, and the n's another.)

Hope those spark some ideas...

4. Miss_K

Miss_K Rookie

Sep 2, 2006

Buy round and traditional pretzel sticks, and invite students to nibble them and put them together into their name. Then have them glue it on a sentence strip. There is a pretzel alphabet poem that I use, but I can't seem to find it on the internet.

or

Have students fold a piece of paper long ways. Then write their name on the top half with a black crayon and press down very hard. Next, fold the paper in half and rub the back so that the crayon transfers to the other side. They end up with their name reflected over the fold and they can retrace the lines and decorate to create a personal design or name "alien."

5. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 2, 2006

I used to give my 3rd graders a puzzle piece cut out from a giant C-21 (our room number when I taught in Lexington, KY). They didn't know it was our room number, but they decorated it w/ their names and then we worked together to put it together. It lead to a great discussion of how we will work together all year...when I taught Kindergarten, we did a modified version of this using a giant turtle (classroom theme that year) cut into puzzle pieces w/ their names already printed on them. Again, working together was the key concept...Good luck!

6. herins

herins Companion

Sep 3, 2006

Have the students trace the letters of their names overlapping (or draw bubble letters). They then colour each piece with a different colour (not colouring over where they interlap). For example: HE would cross over each other once, so there would be a colour for each shape created.

Does that make sense??

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 3, 2006

Have them write there in names in bubble letters, and make sure all of the neighboring letters touch. Then have them trace around the outside of the letters in layers with about 1/4 inch between each layer. Go all the way to the edges of the paper. Then color the layers in alternating colors. I call them name explosions.

8. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Sep 3, 2006

Mine write each letter of their name on a different color of paper, and cut it out as a large, bubble letter. Then, they take each letter and cut it into 3 pieces. Then, they take all the colorful pieces and lay them downin random ways on black paper in a collage. They turn out really neat, and it's neat to remind kids that the pieces came from letters of their name.

9. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Sep 3, 2006

I have my students:

Rainbow write it
    Glue beans on the name
    Glitter their name
    Put paint with a glue bottle and have them glue out their name (they really like this)

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 3, 2006

My friend had her class do the bubble letters going horizonatally down the paper and decorate it with different colors. They then did an adjective activity where they had to write a word that begins with each letter of their name. For example:
    E - excellent
    D - driven
    W - wise
    A - awesome
    R - really cool
    D - dear

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 3, 2006

hey runs... that's exactly one of the activities I was trying to describe, thanks for saying it in a way that actually made sense. :)

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 4, 2006

You're welcome!

13. 1stgradekids

1stgradekids Rookie

Sep 4, 2006

If you do the name art activity, you should read the book Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes to them. It is a great book about how everyone's name is different and special. I read it to my class during the first week this year. I have 1st graders, so I wrote their name with a sharpie on a piece of construction paper and then they decorated anyway they wanted to show what was special about them.

All these other ideas sound great, and the book would go along perfect with the activity.

14. New Teacher!

New Teacher! Rookie

Sep 4, 2006

Thanks so much for all of the ideas! They are all great! And I love the idea of reading the book Chrysanthemum to them beforehand.

15. Holpea

Holpea Rookie

Sep 4, 2006

Name Weave

I give the kids each a strip of paper, maybe 15 inches long, 4 inches wide or so. I let them use craypas, but crayons work too. The only rule is that their name must be on the strip somewhere, and they can't leave any white space. Then, I "weave" the strips together into a square, and we talk about how we are all holding each other together, and if one person slips out of the weave, there's a hole!

The kids love it, especially because I hang it on the wall for the entire year, and then we take it apart on the last day.

Good luck!