Name a hobby that you enjoy

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Starivy, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Starivy

Starivy Companion

Dec 30, 2005

I have alot of interests but I don't have a #1 hobby that I enjoy frequently. I read a good book here and there, I like to shop, I like going online, and I enjoy taking care of my two chihuahuas. But other than that I don't have that something that I enjoy taht I can do by myself. During this break from school and work I have had so much free time but found myself twiddling my thumbs. I don't have alot of money but was wondering if there was anything that you guys just love to do in your spare time? One thing I am interested in is scrapbooking. I have never done it before but have seen all the pretty papers in that aisle at the craft store. It seems like such an expensive hobby though! Also, I have a sewing machine that is collecting dust. I may pull that out and try experimenting. Anything else? Thanks!

3. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2005

I like scrapbooking too but I never do it because it is too expensive! I hate paying for all that junk. I am also not a perfectionist so sometimes it doesn;t look as good as it could. I really like decorating, cleaning, running, my dogs. I guess I don't really have one favorite thing either :)

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 30, 2005

I have lots of hobbies but not enough time for most of them right now! If you are looking for something pretty cheap and quick to learn, I love cross-stitch and a lot of my friends like to knit.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 30, 2005

Well my hobby you can't do in Florida. I love to Alpine ski, and snowshoe in the winter (except there is no snow because it rained all week). In the summer I read, go for long walks on the beach. I used to volunteer at an animal shelter. But I just don't have the time to do that here.

6. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 30, 2005

I like to scrapbook, but it seams like I just have no where to lay all the stuff out, and just work at it a little at a time. I love shopping, but usually don't have the money. I love to bake but am diabetic. Hope this new year coming I can find something I can do more often.

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2005

I'm right there with ya! I feel like I have so many interests, but haven't really developed one! I was into photography when I was younger- but it costs. I was into cross-country skiing, but it costs, etc. etc. I'm interested in making jewelry, but again, you have to learn and then it costs. I decorate cakes for "fun" and only for family because it's very costly. It's so fustrating.

Drawing is always a nice, cheaper hobby. I teach myself HTML so I can web design, but I've gotten to the point where I need to learn at a more advanced level and can't because, yes- it costs!

I also have a 3 year old and spare time? Ha. So right now, I am focused on him. But still feel uninspired and dull at the moment.

Good luck to you.

8. blueskies

blueskies Rookie

Dec 30, 2005

I don't know if you'd call it a proper hobby, but I've recently become hooked on doing Sudoku puzzles. There are a lot of online-sites, this is my favourite one. http://www.janko.at/Raetsel/index.htm
    And I love knitting. All I knit are socks, they are easy to carry around, everybody loves them and you can finish them in a reasonable time.

9. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Dec 30, 2005

I love yoga, which can also be expensive if you join a class. I've been doing videos at home, and I got a book for Christmas that I love. It has a bunch of different poses and routines you can do. I just hope I can keep myself motivated alone.

10. redskinmom

redskinmom Rookie

Dec 30, 2005

I don't know if it's considered a hobby - more like an addiction. But I relax and unwind by getting online and reading chatboards. I recently discovered one on organizing your home (boy, I need that one). For me, it's comforting to realize that other educators deal with the same issues I do. It's also a relief to know that others have the same feelings and responses to the crazy things that we deal with on a daily basis.

11. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2005

I love to scrapbook. When I don't have the money, I go to WalMart and buy a binder, plain cardstock, and page protectors- its so much cheaper than buying an album, and I figure that I can always transfer the pages into a real album in a few years if I want.
    On the not having time to lay it all out (like ABall was saying)- I got a 12x12 nightstand. I put my scissors, pens, corner rounder, etc in the drawer. I got one of those showoff plastic bins at Walmart that can hold hanging files and put my paper in there. Its small enough to move into whatever corner is out of the way, and easy to pull out stuff to work on it.

12. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2005

My new hobby is those Knifty Knitter round knitting looms. They're so easy to learn!

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 30, 2005

need a hobby

I am really interested in learning how to knit but I don't know any knitters. Does anyone know any good "learn how to knit" books?

14. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Dec 30, 2005

I love to do jigsaw puzzles, especially in the winter! It gets my mind of everything and gives me a challenge. And when I'm feeling "crafty", I like to make cards by stamping (this is the big thing at my school). My New Year's resolution is to get back into step aerobics, which is the only exercise I really enjoy.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2005

My mom was going to teach me, but I was just really good at making the needles clang together.

Just got the Dance Revolution for PS2 that was a lot of fun.

I'm with lv2teach...chasing kids is my hobby!!!:)

16. alteacher84

alteacher84 Companion

Dec 30, 2005

I really love reading when I have time, which is usually only during school breaks. I also am addicted to scrapbooking. I spend so much on scrapbook supplies and developing film that I should probably become a member of Scrapbookers Anonymous or something...its really not funny cuz thats probably why I stay broke!!! I just went to the scrapbook store this morning as a matter of fact to get stuff to put last weekends Christmas pictures on pages!

Spending weekends hanging out at the beach is another hobby of mine but only in the summer time...I'd love a beach house, but not after seeing the destruction in Biloxi and Pascagoula, Mississippi after Hurricane Katrina!

17. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Dec 30, 2005

I like to read, shop, rent movies. Right now as a new teacher I am constantly looking online for good teacher web sites. I enjoy doing "crafty" types of things. I would like to get into scrapbooking but I don't really take a lot of pictures. (That will change when I have kids I'm sure). I like to bake and share what I make with friends and family.

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2005

My hobby is my 3 cats...and of course getting online to look things up, chat, etc. I love the computer, but it sure is time consuming! It is truly the only time I sit down and relax(don't like t.v. much) I tried crocheting and that is too "putzy" for me. I love to cook, but no time with working 40 plus hours a week. I think I'd like to make sleep my new hobby!!! Ha!

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2005

We started a lunch time knitting group at school- great!! We share patterns, ideas, teach each other.......

We also have a book club......

Fitness walking

20. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Dec 30, 2005

czacza, I like the idea of having clubs at school. Do you have a lot of participation? I would love it if we did things like that at my school.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2005

Book club is huge- we arranged to get one credit inservice for it- 3 hours once per mont for 5 months....we read an agreed upon book discuss and then work on district issues as well or study educational issues.....

Knitting - about 4 people per week, but still fun!

22. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Dec 30, 2005

I really like the book club idea. I might suggest it to our principal. What books have you read so far?

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2005

We start in January so I don't know the titles for this year. Some we have read in the past include:

Memoirs of a Geisha

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night

Drowning Ruth

The Three Junes

The DaVinci Code

The City of Ember

Girl with a Pearl Earring

The Red Tent

24. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Dec 30, 2005

Thanks for the book ideas! I hope that other people at my school are as interested as I am.

25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 30, 2005

What a great idea for a book discussion group at school!

For years I did counted cross-stitch. I don't have the patience (eyesight?) for it now, though. I think I did it when my kids were small and I was home more during the day.

My guilty pleasure is playing word games on Playsite. I love the Boggle game, Tangleword. It is an addiction.

26. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2005

My hobby is running with my local fire dept...actually, its the volunteer fire police unit, which does traffic and safety control. I do that whenever I am available for calls, which is not too often unfortunately!

I also like to watch tv and go online...I'm am a computer addict. Its sad...lol.

I don't have any kids of my own, but I chase my niece around (she turns 1 next week) to give my sister a break, since she's due with baby #2 at the end of Feb! :)

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2005

leighbball- cool running with FD! When do you have time for that? I can't imagine! Have you been doing that a long time? My mother in law volunteers with an ambulance corps but has had a police/fire scanner in her house for years- she loves keeping tuned in on all the 'happenings' around her! Good for you!

Book Club- I love mine- I love reading and will carve out time for it when I'm in book club because of the 'book talk'.(It's hard to find the time other wise so I love how it keeps me setting a priority for reading for myself) It's great because you get exposed to books you may not have chosen on your own. The book discussions are always interesting to see how others come away from a book differently than you may have. We're luckky that we get professional development credit in my district for participating, but I would recommend starting one- maybe for lunch hour once a month book talk, or first thing in morning or right after school. Ours incorporates 'dinner' as well- members sign up for bringing food for one meeting. All members contribute $2-3 for paper goods at first meeting and then $5 each meeting to go to the 'cooks' for reimbursement of feed expenses (there's about 25-30 of us!!)

28. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2005

Czacza- I've actually been running with Fire Police since 1998...since I was in high school:) A lot of my close friends are involved, so that makes it fun. I rarely make calls anymore, but I make sure I am available for our special events like 4th of July and Santa Day (I even ride up on the engine with reindeer antlers!). But with grad school, teaching, etc...Fire Police is not one of my everyday things anymore, but I still really enjoy giving back to the community where I've lied my whole life.

I can't imagine not being involved in it:) Good for your mother-in-law! i love listening to my radio scanner:)

29. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2006

Daisy, BC (before children), we played scrabble all the time. I love word games. I used to babysit for some girls & I would play boggle to help with their spelling.

I use to love doing puzzles...no time now. We also played a lot of card games...Skip-bo & phase 10....LOVE phase 10 anyone ever played it!?!

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 1, 2006

I want to get Phase 10. I've heard it is a lot of fun. My mom and I play Yahtzee. The online Boggle game is called Tangleword and is sooo much fun because you play the same board with lots of other people. I love it. I enjoy Scrabble but I'm not great at it. I do the Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle. It takes me all week and I usually don't complete it.

Does anyone do the Sudoku puzzles?

31. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2006

Daisy...you gotta get Phase 10....the more people the harder it gets. We used to play with my parents & grandparents!!!

Sudoku puzzles....what are they?

32. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2006

I like to play Rummikub...its a family tradition in my stepmom's family. That and parcheesi.

33. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2006

leighbball... we use to play rummikub all the time w/whole fam!!! Haven't played in yrs!!!!

34. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2006

what type of game is rummiktub?

35. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2006

or whatever!

36. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2006

Its a game where you have tiles with numbers or wild faces. The numbers go from 1-13 and there are 4 colors of tiles. Each color has a complete set of numbers (does that make sense?) and there are 2 wild faces (which can be substituted for any tile).

The object of the game is to make sets of 3 or more tiles and to get rid of all of the tiles in your possession. For ex, if I had 3 fives and they were all different colors, I could put that out. Then the other players can add onto it. Or I can make a sequence of 3 numbers all of the same color (like 5,6,7 all in red).

Its actually pretty fun once you get used to the game cuz then you try to mess up other players:)

http://www.pagat.com/rummy/rummikub.html

37. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2006

leighball , Yea that makes sense and sounds fun. Maybe I should get that for when we are all together. I hate cards, but like some board games. Is it better than Scrabble? I do like Scrabble.

38. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2006

I personally like it better than Scrabble...and I like Scrabble too:)

39. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 1, 2006

I used to love Rummikub.

40. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 1, 2006

I used to play with my daughter when she was young. It's an easy game. I saw Phase 10 for around $5 at Target. Why didn't I get it? My favorite game is called Set. I have posted about it on here.

Sudoku is a number game in the newspaper daily. It is fascinating but frustrating.

Nobody else likes Yahtzee? I love that.

41. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2006

I like Yahtzee too...haven't played it in a while though:) My dad is too good...he wins all the time! lol