NAMC

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by amberteacher, Nov 28, 2007.

1. amberteacher

amberteacher New Member

Nov 28, 2007

Hi,

I am very interested in getting Montessori certification, but the options are rather limited. Has anyone take the NAMC (North American Montessori Center) courses? What do you think? Are they worth it?

Thanks.

3. amberteacher

amberteacher New Member

Dec 7, 2007

Just for future reference, I found some comments on another teacers board that were quite positive about NAMC, so I decided to take the primary course. I got the first component materials yesterday, and they look wonderful. Great manuals.

4. montessorimom

montessorimom New Member

Dec 8, 2007

I guess that makes us classmates! :D

I received my materials a few days ago, too. I haven't gotten very far into it yet, but so far I'm impressed.

5. Asma

Asma Rookie

Jan 5, 2008

please keep us informed about how NAMC is going, especially how well distance ed works for montessori training! And also whether it's opening doors to jobs....

I'm considering NAMC as well as UMA and MIA. I do have a few options for in-person training in the San Jose area, but the tuition is higher and I'd have to pay for childcare as well. I'm sure I would learn more in-person though, so I'm having a hard time deciding what to do.

6. BrassRing

BrassRing New Member

Jan 30, 2008

Hi - I received my books from NAMC a week ago. I am very impressed with the notebooks and the assignments are very long but pretty thorough.

I am doing 3-6 and have finished 1/3 so far. I am about 1/2 through #2 Assignmnt.

7. cupofsalvation

cupofsalvation Rookie

Jan 30, 2008

I did NAMC in 2006, I highly recommend it.

After look though some many websites and information in distance learning or training centers. I also read all Maria Montessori's books. I had no clues how to do it. I am surely glad to have the divine guidance to lead me to NAMC.

At least the materials are in books are in boxes. I was able to comprehend all the reading and answered questions and sent in assignments. The course is genius designed.

However, one needs to put the theories into practical. No problem as well, for the materials are the teachers guide.

It is so affordable and also you can finish the course in 9 months in your home. :wub:

8. Kai

Kai New Member

Mar 20, 2008

Hi,
    I'm finishing up the lower elementary NAMC. I've already have my AMS preschool training and I started my elementary training at Saint Mary's College. I needed to finish quicker than I could at Saint Mary's, so I started with NAMC. I'm moving to Hawaii in a couple of months and I'll be the head teacher for the lower elementary class at Kona Montessori.

I think NAMC is great. I do think you need to have experience in the Montessori classroom to really get what they are saying. I've worked in a Montessori elementary classroom for five years, so the NAMC program is perfect for me. If you haven't worked in a classroom and seen Montessori in action, I think it would be a good idea to volunteer or get an assistant's position. I have to tell you it is so nice to not have to make the binders for every subject. These binders are beautiful.

9. Helena

Helena New Member

Mar 22, 2008

Wow...i just registered on this message board to post a topic on NAMC but AMber beat me to it!:)
    I have been thinking of applying for the course myself. A co worker of mine who is taking the course recommended it to me and I agree that the binders are great and detailed.
    My only worry is whether this certificate would be recognized by the schools I would want to apply to.

10. Kai

Kai New Member

Mar 23, 2008

I've been hired as a head elementary teacher with NAMC credentials. I do have AMS preschool credentials and I've worked in an AMI Montessori Elementary classroom as an assistant for 5 years now. I don't know if they would have hired me with the NAMC credentials without my other experience. In fact, that was mentioned. If there is AMS or AMI training in your area, it probably would be more of a sure thing when it's time for a job. Otherwise, the NAMC is really a thorough program and people are getting jobs.

11. Ballerina

Ballerina New Member

Feb 20, 2015

Has anyone done the NAMC montessori course lately? I'm thinking about taking it and need some feedback from those who have taken the course

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2015

This is an OLD thread and NONE of the members who originally posted 7-8 years ago are still active. You might be better off starting a new thread.:2cents:

13. Ballerina

Ballerina New Member

Feb 20, 2015

Thanks! Will do