Nails

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Feb 26, 2011.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 26, 2011

Taking a break from this full day of cleaning...so this is just for some casual small talk.

What do you do with your nails? Fake nails? Manicures? Polish? I don't do anything with mine, but I always admired my fourth/fifth grade teacher's burgandy nail polish. I thought it was soooo sophisticated. I remember watching her cut out laminated pieces and watching her hands...I couldn't wait to look like her. Silly, but I was young. :) I discovered, though, that I feel like a complete idiot when I've put polish on my nails (although it's been at least ten years), but I think it can look nice on others. I don't, however, like designs and decals on fingernails.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 26, 2011

I think it's nice for ladies to keep fingernails (& toenails) looking nice. I hardly go to the nail salon, but I polish them in usually deep jewel colors. I like a square tipped shape nail as opposed to oval.

When I was a kid up to age 17, I'd have to keep my nails short since I took piano lessons, but my nails grow long & people have always asked me if they were real, so I don't need fake nails. After a while of them being long, I cut them really short & let them grow all over again.

Speaking of this, there's this new nail design I want to try. I thought it was Sally Hansen, but does anyone know which drugstore brand sells those adhesive nail designs where you press them on the nail & cut the excess off? They aren't fake nail, but like nail wallpaper.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2011

When I get the chance (translation:usually over the summer) I polish mine.

During the school year, I tend to get too busy to really keep up with them. So I would rather they be polish-free than all chipped.

This summer we're all heading upstate to the wedding of a close friend. I've promised Julia that she, Kira and I can all get our nails done before we go.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2011

Got a pedi this week with a gift card I had from a student...note to self: get pedis more often! It was so relaxing...foot whirlpool, massage, potions and lotions! I would wear flip-flops and show off my toes if there wasn't snow on the ground!

I'm going today for a 'fill' on my nails..I get tips put on as my natural nails are quite soft and really don't grow without cracking, chipping and peeling. With the tips, my nails look good and only need upkeep about every two weeks. Right now I'm wearing a French manicure..I love the clean classic look of that, but I sometimes go more dramatic!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2011

My niece was putting these on just the other day...very cute. She did all 10 fingers but it might be nice on one nail as an 'accent'. Don't know how long they last. You should be able to get in any chain drugstore or a beauty supply like Harmon.

7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2011

I get gel fills and polished every 3 weeks.
    I spend about 5 minuites on make-up each day and 5 minutes drying/spraying my hair. These 3 things make me feel my best.

8. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Feb 26, 2011

I have short fake nails with white tips. My own nails are thinner than paper thin and they break so easily. Since my fingers are short, I feel like I have man hands without nails. They are short enough to make a fist and punch something without hurting myself. No I don't go around punching things but for some reason that's the logic in my head on how long they can be. LOL Side note... When I bought my car a few years ago I looked in the trunk and immediately thought "Wow I can fit four or five people in there" :dizzy: I rarely stuff people in my trunk.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2011

So funny...you aren't trying to sound like a 'tough guy' are you?:lol: Seems like an episode from 'The Sopranos', but hey, I'm a Jersey girl, so that's how I'm thinking! fuggedaboudit!:D

10. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Feb 26, 2011

I have very healthy looking nails. Mine grow and stay strong for quite a while. My problem is that I have a hard time keeping them polished. I normally polish them on Sunday evenings, and it will last all week. This past week I didn't have the energy to keep up with them. I got my income tax and I really want to cut my nails and go have them done. All because I am too lazy to do it myself.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 26, 2011

It took me way too long to figure this out. I was like fugg-ed, fog-ged... :haha:

And the trunk thing was too funny!

12. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Feb 26, 2011

Funny you said that I always blame the Italian half for my strange thoughts. :lol:

13. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Feb 26, 2011

I keep my nails short. I can't stand long nails because they always get in my way. I usually keep my nails and cuticles trimmed, but I occasionally polish them. In the summertime, I always have polish on my toenails, but it's so cold right now that I am never barefoot long enough to paint them (even in the house).

I didn't even have a professional manicure for my wedding. I went to CVS and bought some nail polish for $2 and did it myself. However, every woman in my family has professional manicures at least biweekly--I'm the odd man (woman?) out. I just don't enjoy manicures that much.

14. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Feb 26, 2011

Since I live in So Cal, its rarely cold. I get a pedicure once a month since I can wear sandals almost all year. :)

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 26, 2011

I usually get tips put on once a year, but I am awful with getting them filled -- I do love the look though. I usually only wear nail polish when I get a pedi or a mani -- about 4 times a year.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2011

I love the names of nail enamel...I'll actually put a color back if it doesn't have a good name...today I got'Aphrodite's Pink Nightie' with a topcoat of 'No Shrinking Violetta';)

Talk about strange thoughts...Funny...my first post I was talking about pedis...and when I typed "note to self: get more pedis"', the autocorrect on my iPad interpreted 'pedis' as a body part...good thing I noticed before I hit send.:blush:

17. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Feb 26, 2011

OMG good catch!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

18. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2011

I usually get pedicures every month and get my nails done every 2 weeks. I'm a chronic nail biter and when I get acrylic over my natural nails I don't bite them and it looks MUCH better.

All of the little girls at school comment on my nail polish all of the time. :lol:

19. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Feb 26, 2011

Tracy- so funny! My boys get wicked distracted by it.
    I always have my nails done- (you think they would get used to it and stop being distracted!) I just do it myself though. My boys are enthralled by it.

20. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Feb 26, 2011

I have acrylics and get them done every two weeks. My manicurist keeps trying to get me to try a different polish, but I love my pink and whites.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2011

I feel like I need to give myself a manicure tomorrow.

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 26, 2011

I bit my nails until I was a senior in high school. When I decided to stop biting them, I really enjoyed taking care of my nails. I wore nail polish a lot of the time. I stopped wearing polish the year I was sick. Every time I'd go to the hospital, the first thing they'd do was make me take off my nail polish. Eventually I just stopped wearing it. I have naturally white-tipped nails, so I don't mind them being plain. They're too long right now. I also broke a couple recently, so I need to trim and even them all out.

I've only had one fake nail my entire life. I had let my nails grow longer than usual for my wedding, and the week before the wedding I broke one while helping move DH's stuff into my house. When I went for my manicure (only one I've ever had) two days before the wedding, he fixed my broken nail with a fake one.

23. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 26, 2011

Boys are interesting creatures. Two years ago I had all boys. Yes, all 7th grade boys all day long.

They were the last people I'd have expected to notice fashion, but I was wrong. They always noticed my shoes, and they commented when I changed my eye make-up. They noticed every little change in my hair style or color. They commented on jewelry. They just about lost their minds when I bought a beaded chain to hold my reading glasses. They complained and commented about it until I removed it.

24. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 26, 2011

My kids notice EVERYTHING about me: whether or not I shaved that morning, new clothes, new glasses, etc. One day, I woke up late for school (work) and didn't have much time to get ready (other than brushing my teeth and washing my face). Anyway, I didn't put any gel in my hair and they just about had a heart attack! :eek:hmy:

25. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Feb 26, 2011

I get a pedi every month. It's heaven on earth. My last pedi was for Valentine's day. My nails were red with my big toes having a white heart painted on. I wore sandles one day in the snow. One of my girls said to me"Wow, you have the most young looking feet and your heels are so smooth, how do you do that at your age."Such a sweet child....Seriously she really did mean it as a compliment.

26. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Feb 27, 2011

I like fake nails on other people, but they drive me NUTS. I like to keep mine short. They occasionally are polished, but not regularly. I did have one month this year where I changed my polish 3-4 times. The kids like bold colors and it looks cool when I'm pointing on the doc camera/projector. :D

27. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2011

Me too. Even though I have acrylics, mine are very very short.

28. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2011

I am going to get a manicure this week with the new shellac manicure. It is supposed to not budge for 2-3 weeks. I am thinking about getting french tipped because I always think it looks so nice.

When my husband was still employed (aka the good ol days), I would get gel manicures w/ a fill every two weeks.

29. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Feb 27, 2011

What is a gel manicure?