Nail Salon Experience

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms.Holyoke, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2019

I got my nails done this afternoon and was shocked by the experience that I had! I go to this nail salon once every few weeks so most of them know me. I won't be returning after this. A nail tech started doing my nails and it felt very rushed compared to other manicures that I had. Another customer came in and he left for a few minutes to help her and disappeared for another 5 minutes. He asked me to pay before he painted my nails (which is normal) so I gave him my card. He then told me "tip is by cash or venmo". I said "ok." He again said "tip is by cash or venmo" and asked me if I need his venmo. I asked if I could tip later and he said he didn't want me to mess my nails up. I found this to be really rude because a business should never demand tips! Anyways, he did my nails and I went to dry them. As I left, I decided I wasn’t going to tip or return because I found it rude to ask for a tip 3 times. But he yelled at me, "do you need my venmo?" I said "fine" and he put his venmo in my phone. I feel like a company should not pressure you into tipping! He told me he would get the notification. I said "ok" and left but I did not tip him at all. I usually go to this place so I found it very rude! I will not be returning...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2019

Why wouldn't you go back and just make sure you don't use this rude tech?

Why didn't you talk to the manager?

I agree that the tech did not deserve a tip because of the rudeness. I just don't understand abandoning a salon you went to often because of one bad experience.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 14, 2019

Since it was a place I went to frequently, I’d complain to a manager, the. Make sure I didn’t get the same tech next time.

I’m really weird about getting my nails done, so I always see the same person.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2019

Because they basically assign you to a tech and it’s awkward to refuse. As he was entering his Venmo in my phone, two of the female techs were laughing. It just wasn’t a good experience.

6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 14, 2019

They don't allow you to request a certain tech? That's weird. Other nail salons do. And if you don't care, then you get a random one

7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2019

I don't feel awkward to refuse a certain tech when they were rude to me. It is my money. I keep them employed. That is the beauty of capitalism. If someone doesn't do a good job, they eventually are pushed out because people won't buy their service.

Talk to the manager and don't be afraid to request a tech or request to not use a certain tech. I bet the manager would like to know so she/he can correct it.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 14, 2019

I see this as I'm deciding whether to do a polish change or give up again for another six months...

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2019

The owner actually owns two salons on the same street. She wasn’t in the salon I went to today’s So I actually posted a google review and the owner responded and said that she’s sorry, and that maybe the nail tech is new (he wasn’t.) She offered me a free manicure next time but I’m still not comfortable going back (at least not to the location I went to)! I might try to call and let her know what happened.

10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2019

I live in a city so nail salons can be pretty busy. I’ve never been to one here where you get to choose.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 15, 2019

What the heck??? That's totally ridiculous. First of all, I use Color Street and do my own nails. Venmo my %&@)$&@)&$@), but if I just had to go to this same salon again I would ask for new person and give them the reason.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 15, 2019

I’m in a small town. Two people at the salon, and only one does nails. :p Takes the guesswork out of it.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 15, 2019

So, if you had an issue with the only person who does nails would you just suck it up or go to another salon? The problem with having no competing businesses is that sometimes they don't think they have to be as diligent to keep their customers.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2019

You let HIM enter the info on your phone? Oh hell no....and the other techs laughing? Yeah, I wouldn’t go back.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  15. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2019

I know. I wish I didn’t. I was honestly just so shocked by the situation. I’m definitely not going back! I only went because it’s a short walk from my apartment but I live in a city and there’s tons of nail salons I can walk to.

I read some yelp reviews of this place and a bunch of them mentioned techs asking for tips or making them Venmo money.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 15, 2019

I don't understand how someone can ask for a tip BEFORE the service. This just makes no sense.

a2z likes this.
  17. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 15, 2019

Yeah, it's similar to hair salons, where if you have someone you like, you just request that person whenever you make an appointment.

a2z likes this.
  18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 15, 2019

I get pedicures every few months. I always ask for the same lady. If she's not available, I leave and proceed to my next errand--even if another tech is available.

At this point in my life, I don't let people pressure me into doing something I'm not comfortable with.

Ms.Holyoke, a2z and bella84 like this.
  19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 15, 2019

If it were a small issue, I’d suck it up. If it were a big issue, I’d go to a different salon. There are several in town, but none are just nail salons. They’re all hair & nails. Most are small with just a few people working. This one has one full time and one part time person. Only the full time one does nails. I’ve been going to her for maybe 5 years, but I’ve known her since high school.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 16, 2019

I've never been to a nail salon but we have at least 4 in town that I can think of. There might be more. Friends mention going to on or the other and liking specific places but I'm assuming if they had issues with any one of them it would be easy to go to a different one. It's nice having choices.

21. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Comrade

Jul 16, 2019

Usually you can request a tech when you make an appointment. Not sure if you just show up.... I always make an appointment for that reason. Try it next time if you find someone you like!

ChildWhisperer likes this.
  22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 16, 2019

Off topic but what's is the obsession with Venmo? I was looking on Facebook Marketplace and people were arguing with a guy because he wouldn't take Venmo. Literally calling him rudes names and chastising him. Get a grip, people!! :rofl:

23. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 16, 2019

I totally agree. I use the Cash app over Venmo (just a personal preference). I tried Venmo and didn't like the layout/user interface as much. Plus when I had to change my credit card/bank account info, a new fee that I didn't want to pay was required. Unfortunately, it seems like just about everyone else uses Venmo, so I just give them regular old cash rather than paying a fee to use an app that I don't even like.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 16, 2019

I pay with cash 99% of the time so if someone demanded Venmo they would be out of luck and losing a customer.

bella84 likes this.
  25. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 16, 2019

I use Zelle QuickPay.
    If they don't have it, it's cash or check (which I always have to go through the hassle of getting because I don't carry cash).
    But I refuse to get venmo or cashapp or whatever else is out there.

26. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 16, 2019

I always find it more of a hassle to NOT carry cash. I just make sure that I take out a lot when I’m at a place that does cash back. Then I always have some at hand for the times that it’s necessary.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 16, 2019

I started going to the bank on payday and taking out a certain amount for 2 weeks. I am loosely following the envelope system for saving money so I find it easier to just pay everything with cash except bills that I pay online.