Nail Polish Fanatics

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Petite_Teacher, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jul 15, 2009

To all of the nail polish fanatics out there such as myself I found a great youtube video that does tutorials on different nails designs. This girl does tutorials on designs such as american flags, martini glasses, and christmas lights. She even has a tutorial on candy cane nails. I've included the link to her watermelon nails tutorial. Let me know what you think and get creative. :)

Watermelon Nails:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8GYiObImkI

Also if anyone wants to know how to do a fireworks display design for your nails let me know. I found a cool youtube video for it.

3. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

wow, first I have always wanted long nails but have never been able to grow them. I think they are cute but my goodness, those are some high maintenance nails. Mine would only be half done at any given time.

4. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

Thanks for posting this! She has a lot of great videos - I love to do things like this to my nails but can never get it right.

5. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jul 15, 2009

Thanks for reading this post. I keep my nails short just because I prefer them that way but you can still do creative things with short nails. It just may take a little bit more time. BTW... They do seem like pretty high maintenace nails but if you use good nail polish and a base/top coat they should last pretty long without reapplying.

6. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jul 15, 2009

I think with her videos you can. Her flower tutorial is super easy. You could try that one first then move up in difficulty. Thanks for responding.

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2009

Her videos are pretty good. I'm not really a fan of nail art, but I can definitely appreciate the work involved (and the patience). The watermelons are cute on her though. I am going to see if she has a French manicure tutorial though; I am so bad at that.

For myself, I prefer just very plain, mostly dark, dramatic colors. I keep my nails medium length and I love the Chanel matte blacks or the ceramic black. For the summer, I go lighter though. I have a really bright red orange called Heat Wave that I love, especially on toes. Last summer, I got a 4 bottle collection called Melrose that has a yellow, a peachy orange, a candy pink and a great bright lilac with an almost plastic finish. The yellow is a lot of fun in the bottle, but as I have very dark hair and the typical extremely pale Irish skin, it just doesn't work on me. I need a bit of a blue tone base in any reds, oranges, pinks that I wear.

I branched out a bit and have been wearing the new gold Chanel did in Spring. It has more of a silvery, deep base so it works for my coloring. I wish they would do silvers; they haven't in a few years. The metallic polishes just don't last more than ~2 seasons.

When I start working, I am going to have to be very cautious around the Chanel counter. :D

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2009

Those are so cute! Thanks for sharing! As soon as I'm out of the restaurant, I'm growing my nails out again... now I have something to look forward to :)

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 16, 2009

Yes, I like creative nails. You've given me another great suggestion for when I'll have 8 hrs to kill around my college campus 1x/wk when fall starts, I'll get my mani & pedi done!

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2009

I love bright, fun colours on my toes in the summer--purple, neon pink, turquoise. My fingers I keep pretty plain. I like my nails quite short and I usually don't have polish on them, primarily because I don't take the time for upkeep. When I do put polish on them I prefer dark burgundies, almost black.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2009

I don't think I'd do a full set of watermelon nails- Maybe the pink on all nails and the watermelon accent on one nail on each hand?
    My nail salon does airbrushing...I have had snowflakes subtly stencilled on in the winter, sometimes I vary up the 'french' tips with a zig zag or a diagonal tip instead of the traditional french but nothing too 'out there'.
    Might be cute for a picnic though...

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 16, 2009

I was thinking of just doing a design on one finger...like my ring finger. I love the snowflake and the candy cane designs.

13. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jul 16, 2009

MollyDoll I did find a French Manicure tutorial that she does. Here it is: http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZEcHil7kDs

14. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jul 16, 2009

Thanks for reading. :)

15. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jul 16, 2009

What a great excuse to get a mani & pedi. :haha:

16. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jul 16, 2009

I like lavender purples a lot. It's fun to play with nail polish colors in the summer.

17. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jul 16, 2009

I thought for a picnic that it would be cute as well. It's good that you mix it up a bit with your french tips.

18. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jul 16, 2009

That would be cool. I like the candy cane design as well. Here is another version of the candy cane design that I like better posted by another person. Let me know how it turns out. :)

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TNHUvC38qw

19. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2009