Mythology

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by katrinkit, Apr 8, 2007.

1. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Apr 8, 2007

I was wondering if anyone has any great mythology ideas. I am going to be starting a unit a couple weeks after spring break and am trying to figure out how to make it a bit more entertaining than, read and discuss, read and discuss...

Does it show that I am trying to plan only two days after Spring Break started?

3. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 8, 2007

Connect mythology to science via the names of our spacecraft: Apollo, Gemini, etc.

Talk about common words that come from mythology.

Make genealogy charts for the gods and goddesses.

Match plots with fairy tales and modern movies.

Talk about modern versions of myths, such as "O Brother Where Art Thou" and "My Fair Lady."

Find bits of mythology in the Bible and in other pieces of literature.

Have each student make a full-sized shield with an individual crest.

Discuss the solar system and why the ancients named the planets, etc, as they did.

Pick a constellation or planet and tell its story.

Talk about the horoscope and the signs of the zodiac.

Discuss why some geographical features of the planet are male and others are female.

Talk about things that once were 'myths' but have now been proven by science, ie "blood poured into the earth creates life" was actually just insects already in the soil that came to the surface because they wished to eat the blood.

Watch a cool kid-friendly movie such as "Clash of the Titans" and compare it to the written versions of the stories of Perseus and the Minotaur.

Draw pictures of the various monsters.

Make up original 'myths' about 'origins' of common things.

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Apr 8, 2007

get a class set of stories and have each student be a character from a book. The child needs to dress up, and Tell the story to the class. Give them a summary

Or, have the students pick a book of mythology and THEY must come dressed as the character.

5. CmsTigerGuy

CmsTigerGuy Rookie

Apr 8, 2007

I once combined a mythology unit with one on propaganda and held a mock election for ruler of the gods. Students had to create campaign slogans, posters, and scripts for radio/TV ads.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 8, 2007

My college mythology class covered classic characters as group assignments. It was a lot of fun to watch and to do. The teacher grouped characters by family or people who were parts of the same stories. Each group had to make a creative presentation and a 2 page handout about their people. We had no rules, just had to be a creative way (not just a powerpoint) The projects my class did were: modern day movie - the characters displayed the traditional traits in modern ways, an art show - each person in the group used a 3 dollar canvas and painted a representation of their person/group on it, a play that was a girls night in pajama party - they gossiped about their husbands and children, a live play that acted out Hercules adventures, a cave drawing style story that explained a classic story about the people

7. EnglishMiss

EnglishMiss Rookie

Apr 12, 2007

That sounds really cool, CMSTigerGuy!
    The other suggestions sound neat too. I've never taught mythology but the teacher next door to me does, and I've seen her do some similar things - read the stories aloud, connect mythical deities to modern people/places/things, watch modern movie adaptations of myths (for example, the Troy movie). She also does this project the kids really enjoy, making a 3D project of something from a myth - can be of any character or story. I've seen kids do everything from dressing up Barbies like the Muses might look, to making that three-headed dog character (?!) out of paper-mache or something. Pretty fun.