Myth or Fact?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mrachelle87, Jul 31, 2010.

1. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 31, 2010

I'm sure the many people in Job Seekers would say it's a myth.

59,000 jobs for what region? Because if that's nationwide-that's not as promising as it sounds. We usually have 1200 official openings just for our city district.

4. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 31, 2010

Um....just look at this board. People are scrambling to find a position. I know many good teachers unable to be placed in a classroom. I think the 59K jobs is a projection, not a reality. Prognostication is not reality.

5. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 31, 2010

It's crap especially with the "average" salary.....

6. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Aug 1, 2010

Actually the avg salary probably isn't that far off. Texas isn't one of the high paying union states but most districts in North Texas start new teachers around 44,000. My district was hiring - our campus alone hired 4 new teachers right out of college and one who was relocating with her family.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2010

"How much they pay on average" is a funny phrase.

How much they pay WHERE??? The cost of living in different regions is a HUGE factor, but it's not mentioned. Nor do they mention the level of expertise, or the number of years of experience or the number of graduate degrees or anything else. They don't mention a timeline for the job openings-- are they talking this year, the next 5 years. or the next 20?

Also, the article came from "investopedia." I know nothing about that site-- do you have to know anything to write an article? Do you have to verify your statistics? Do you survey the people in your town or is it a nationally recognized survey??

I'm not sure it's "crap." I imagine the numbers are valid. I just think that, as is usually the case with statistics, it's possible to paint whatever picture you choose, then find the statistics to back up your point of view.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2010

It's like everyone has said - depends on the area. We have a high turnover in my county (low salary compared to cost of living, "better" districts to the immediate north and south, etc) and with the state class size amendment going into effect, we've had to create over 200 new positions (in additions to ones that were vacated in June).

But - the job seekers forum really speaks for itself. 59k positions seems to me to be the nation-wide projection. I'm sure it's accurate - but WHERE those positions are located vs. where job seekers are located is a different story.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 1, 2010

An increase in 15 and 16% might be reality if there's ever an option where you could retire and have health insurance. The population of teachers in my district is pretty old and probably 40-50 % could retire but can't because of health insurance.

And, have you noticed all the "old" people working? Maybe it's a regional thing, but there's a lot of "old" people still working in minimum wage type jobs, old being in their late 60's and 70's. I guess they're still working to supplement their Social Security or off set their pharmaceutical expenses.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2010

Many, many of them lost their retirement funds when the economy crashed.

Social Security is a joke; there's not enough there to live on.

Those people are working to avoid eating cat food.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 1, 2010

But for 50 states-that's really not a lot. For elementary it said "openings" not new positions. We have openings, they are just often filled in-house, people transferring from another school in the district.

I think it's really misleading to put it out there for people that education is such a growing field when there are literally 1000's of applications for a handful of positions in most places.