mystery unit

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jenlovestoteach, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jul 13, 2007

I am looking to do a mystery unit with my 5th grade GT class. I heard that Mystery Festival from GEMS is really good. Has anyone used this before? Or anything else that you could point me in the direction of? Thanks so much!!

3. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jul 13, 2007

It is awesome! I have used it in my classroom, integrating my literacy and math instruction. I actually am using it now for summer school. I also have used it to teach a camp at a children's science museum. I had a primary and an intermediate group. There are 2 mysteries in the GEMS book- one geared for primary and the other for intermediate.
    I recommend it!

4. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jul 13, 2007

Thanks! Do you recommend any other supplementary materials?

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

The Mysteries of Harris Burdick (van Allsburg) is a terrific resource to use for discussion or writing prompts.

6. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

do you think 3rd grade would be interested in the primary or intermediate version better?

7. blessedmommyx3

blessedmommyx3 Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

You have to check out Beth Newingham's website - under classroom happenings click on the reading mystery unit and it is awesome. She used the GEMS unit - she includes pictures and additional worksheets she developed for it.

8. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Aug 20, 2007

I just finished reading the Mystery Festival guide and am excited about using it with my 5th graders. Just wondering - did you do the candle/thread test in your classroom? I don't think I'd be allowed to, even if I was the one lighting the match.

Any recommendations for management or integrating other disciplines into the unit? Thanks! :)