Mystery Readers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by buck8teacher, Jun 7, 2008.

1. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 7, 2008

After seeing Mystery Readers on Beth Newingham's site and various others, I'm very interested incoporating mystery reader's into my classroom next year. I don't know much about my class next year,but I do know that my class is very low, especially in reading. I thought the Mystery Reader's program would be a very cool way for my kids to see an adult reading, other than their teacher, so they would have lots of positive reading role models. Our principal read a book to my class this year, and they really loved it. So I'm really interested in starting this program.

Does any one do mystery readers? Do you have any advice to offer, comments to share, or helpful tips? Has it been a successful program for you? My biggest fear is that we have a whole bunch at the beginning of the year, and then none after October. Or that my kids just won't be into it.

Thanks in advance!

3. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 7, 2008

I want to do Mystery Readers too! I'm interested in hearing what other people have to say. I don't know anything about my class next year (heck, I haven't even been inside the school yet!). I was thinking of putting something on my letter to parents/grandparents that mystery readers will be a year-long event and parental involvement is key.

You know what would be so cool is if it could be extending to locally community people. I would love to have a Colts football player come read! ;)

4. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2008

I think the way Beth does it is that she has the parents sign-up via a secret letter that is sent home. Under her teacher resources, you can find the letter that she sends home. Then you would just have to send out a reminder letter.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 7, 2008

I do mystery reader every Friday. The kids love it!

6. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2008

I did Mystery Readers this year, but unfortunately, only about 4-5 parents participated. I don't know if it was work schedule problems or if they just forgot and didn't sign up. I had parents sign up at Open House but only a few parents signed up that night. Then I sent out another invitation to all parents but didn't get a huge response. I think what it boils down to is the lack of importance placed on reading at home. I think the parents of my classroom were not raised to put a big emphasis on reading, so they don't. Oh well, I will do Mystery Readers again next year and see if I get a better response to it. I think it's a GREAT idea!!

7. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 7, 2008

I have Beth's letter saved and already added my information. Like Cmcd, I would like to extend the invitation to local community members. I saw on the Bengals website where you could request a visit from a player, so that might be cool. :)

I think it really depends on the level of parent involvement in your class too to make it successful. It could be parents, grandparents, sisters, brothers....I don't care...I just want readers! One of our indicators is our community over time, so I'll try to invite local government leaders as well. :) Thanks for your responses so far!

8. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jun 7, 2008

Can you share beth newingham's site so I can check it out? Thanks!

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 7, 2008

That was one thing I wanted to try this year but never got around to it. I will try next year. I also am worried about the lack of parental involvement.

10. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jun 7, 2008

http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/

I am afraid I will have the same problem with parent response, but am still planning to do this. I am planning to fill the open dates with school personnel-- principal, nurse, counselor, specials teachers maybe, and other volunteers.

I think the kids will love it!

11. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jun 7, 2008

I did a different kind of mystery reader this year. I didn't have many parents who could come during the day so my students were the mystery readers. Every Monday, I chose a mystery reader for the following Friday. That student and I would secretly sneak a mystery reader letter and a book into his/her backpack. He/she would practice reading the book all week and would bring it back on Friday to read to the class. The students loved this. The listeners would ask questions about the book and would clap for the readers. It was such a boost for those struggling readers, too.

12. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 7, 2008

Thats a great idea, Angel! Especially if there isn't a lot of parent involvement in the program!

13. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jun 7, 2008

Oooooh, I love this idea!!!!!!

14. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jun 7, 2008

Thanks Beezus for the website!

15. MsG

MsG Companion

Jun 8, 2008

Try filling in faculty and staff in place of parents if needed. I always had our principal, pe coach, art teacher, janitors, etc. come read to the kids on days I didn't have a parent. They loved it!

16. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2008

I think next year I will try to reach the parents more in regards to the importance of "your child" seeing you read and maybe recruit more daddys for sure!! I always get the moms and grandmas. How powerful is that for my students to see that, yes, daddys do read too!! I just met like 3 daddys for the first time this school year. I want to try to encourage them to visit us earlier in the year if I can.

17. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jun 8, 2008

In my school we invite people from the community and groups that work with our school,government officials as well as parents and school personnel to read books to our children.
    Our fifth graders also read books,some of which they have written themselves, to our K and 1 students.

18. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 8, 2008

This is great!

19. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 8, 2008

That's a great idea, Yank! I could recruit some of my former students! :)