Mystery Reader

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Touchthefuture, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

Hi all,
    This will be my 5th teaching 2nd grade. During my first few years I had a mystery reader program where parents came in once a month to read. It was a secret who was coming but I gave clues to see if they could guess. I did not do it last year as the year before I had no parents sign up. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get them to participate? I know parents work but it is one day and I even allow older siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles to come in too.

3. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Jul 17, 2010

Guests

Some years you will get parents who are less than ideally motivated. We have used mystery readers for years. The kids love it when we have guests from the community to read. Consider asking Rotary clubs or other service organizations if they have members who want to read to young children. We've never had a lack of non-parent mystery readers. Good luck!

4. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

I think this is a GREAT idea! I will probably have few parental participation, but it's worth a try!

5. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

Hi cruiser, it was not my idea I think I got it from the infamous Beth Newingham website. She should get the credit. If you go there she has templates for signup already made.

here's a link: http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/

6. smannes

smannes Companion

Jul 17, 2010

I've done this for the past 2 years. If I have a week without a parent then I ask other teachers in the building, the principal, assistant principal, superintendent etc. Don't forget about the children's librarian at your local library.

7. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 17, 2010

If a parent couldn't come could you use Skype to have them read it or have them make a video of themselves reading it? Not as good as live, of course, but maybe that would help the participation.

8. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

Skype idea is great too!

9. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 18, 2010

My district would get people like the Mayor of the town, the Superintendent, the principal, people like that

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2010

I do mine 1st thing in the morning and find it helps with working parents.

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 18, 2010

Primary teachers in my building have used other teachers, siblings in upper grades, the custodian, school board members, and high school athletes.

12. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2010

Also, make sure you are flexible about the day and time. Work around their schedules if at all possible.

13. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Jul 18, 2010

I've done Mystery Reader with the 2nd graders in Library for the last 3 years. I do it every Wednesday all year long. It is first thing in the morning which seems to help. I send home a note at the beginning of the year, but I also put reminders in the family newsletter. I put thanks you's to the readers who have participated in the newsletter too. I used Skype several times. I Skyped with an author once. I have older siblings who go to the same school come down and read. I have the specials teachers, the principal, the lunch lady, the custodian, etc... read. I take a picture of the Mystery Reader while they are reading and have a slideshow of all the pictures on the school website. I mail each reader a thank you post card afterward.

Last year I had a lack of parent volunteers too. Hopefully this year will be better again. Good luck!