Mystery Books Fourth Grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Miss Starr, May 31, 2007.

1. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

May 31, 2007

I am looking for some mystery books for next year with a fourth grade guided reading group that will be around a Level T or U. We will be focusing on the elements of mystery stories so they need to follow the format of mysteries instead of fantasy or suspence. any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 31, 2007

My students like the Sammy Keys series by Van Draanen. I am not sure of the reading level, but I would guess they are close to what you need.

4. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

May 31, 2007

Ok I'm at home and tomorrow is the last day of school, so I can't remember what level they are....!!!

I have a few students who love A to Z mysteries. I have the entire set and I think I bought them all from scholastic.

5. TeacherKay9

TeacherKay9 Rookie

May 31, 2007

The Egypt Game

6. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 31, 2007

I don't know much about the letter levels you mentioned, but many of my thirds are crazy over A to Z. They also like Cam Jansen.

I'm not sure what level this is because I always read above my grade level, but my favorite mystery series ever is The Three Investigators. They are hard to find around here these days.

7. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jun 1, 2007

I always start/end our mystery unit with Chris Van Allsburg's story, The Mysteries of Harris Burdick. If you haven't seen this book, it's really unique. It has a really neat, interesting picture and a few lines to each of the stories, and that's all. (The mystery is that the author disappeared before he could finish writing the stories.) I run copies of the pictures, and have my kids write their own stories and they have to plug in that given sentence or two into their stories. We laminate and bind to make our own book. Always something neat to leave out for Open House, too.