Myspace VS Facebook

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Feb 7, 2009.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Feb 7, 2009

So a few years ago I started a Myspace account so that I could read my husband's band's blog. (You had to be a friend to read it.) It took me a long time to get the hang of it and customize my page, get friends, load pics, blah blah blah.

Now everyone is on Facebook. *SIGH* Action in Myspace has slowed down, I've noticed. My husband has also switched over to Facebook. He claims it's more "mature" than Myspace and there's a lot more people that have the accounts.

The other day I got an invite in my email that said one of my close friends had just opened a Facebook account and would I open one too and be her friend.

I know it's not that big of a deal, but I kind of feel like I've got all this time invested in my myspace page and to start a Facebook account would be almost disloyal. :rolleyes: Not to mention, you can't customize a facebook page like you can in myspace, though I've never really tried.

Thoughts on Myspace VS Facebook?

3. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Feb 7, 2009

I don't think its that serious but I like facebook better. There are so many teenagers on myspace that I got rid of mine.

4. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 7, 2009

I have both a myspace and facebook. I likefacebook better I feel you can connect with groups and old friends better on facebook. I hardly ever get on myspace anymore it seems.

5. MsT

MsT Rookie

Feb 7, 2009

I have both and think Facebook is way better. It is easier to keep up with friend updates. It doesn't have all the extra stuff like Myspace (like the backgrounds) so that makes it easier to navigate. I have found more past friends and classmates on Facebook too.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 7, 2009

I like facebook better now. I've thought about deleting my myspace account and just using facebook. But, I have so many photo albums on Myspace, I don't want to get rid of it!

7. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Feb 7, 2009

I have both... they are pretty much the same to me... though i dont have to worry about the layout of facebook and I can set it up so that it is very hard to find me -only if you know a friend of mine and even then you can only see my picture. I use myspace to talk to my family.

8. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Feb 7, 2009

I don't like Facebook because everyone can know every comment you leave, every picture you post, etc. Not enough privacy settings for my taste.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 7, 2009

I started a facebook account last night and I HATE IT! everyone I went to high school with is on there and they all want to be my friend. And I soooo don't want any contact with them at all!

10. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Feb 7, 2009

I like facebook, and it is pretty easy to set the settings so you are not searchable, just go to the privacy settings!

my space was too much effort for me.

11. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Feb 7, 2009

This is the main reason I don't really like facebook either. I have both, but MySpace is still my #1 social-networking site. I think it's better all around!!

12. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 7, 2009

Well, I did recently discover that you can set your privacy settings so that it doesn't show you commenting on so-and-so's page, became friends with someone, added/deleted info from your profile, added pictures, etc. Also, you can set it so that only those on your FL can see your profile picture. What I absolutely hate, however, is that if a friend comments on my pictures, then everyone on their FL can see my entire album. I think the only way to prevent that is from keeping people from commenting-- but is that possible? I'm pretty careful about the pictures I do put up, and I'm VERY exclusive about who I allow to be my friend (because, you know, I'm so cool and stuff... :cool:)... but I want to be able to share some pictures with family and close friends.

That said, I still prefer Facebook over Myspace, even though Myspace gives me complete privacy.

13. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Feb 7, 2009

Every picture/album you have can be set to friends only.

Go into an album
    Edit photos
    Edit info Tab
    Privacy Drop down menu.

When you make a new album it should be on the same page where you name the album AND you can set it up so that only certain people can see it - a certain network or individuals.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2009

I just recently got a Facebook account. Right now, I'm liking myspace a lot better.

15. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Feb 7, 2009

I don't really like the idea of either one, but caved about a year ago and got a myspace. I refuse to get a facebook too! I have kept in touch with people using myspace and would lose contact with them if I deleted my account. Plus, my principal has a facebook and I would probably have to be "friends" with him since a friend I teach with (well, many actually) is friends with him. I don't want the school I work at to be all up in my private business (not that I have anything to hide, it just seems a little intrusive for a work relationship!). So, I am sticking to myspace for now and I'll eventually end up deleting it at some point I'm sure.

16. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Feb 8, 2009

:toofunny: I know! Me too!

I did open one last night and it's really confusing. But then so was Myspace when I first started. I do agree with Mrs. Q though. Everyone knows your business when you have a Facebook account. :rolleyes:

17. srfjeld

srfjeld Companion

Feb 8, 2009

Thank you soooo much! This was a problem I was having, too. I just went and changed all of my albums to "friends only." I even saw where you can list "except these people" in case there is someone in your friend's list who you accidentally friended who you don't want to allow to see your pics.... not that that ever happened to me... he he he! :)

I had a Myspace page for years and loved it. I signed up on FB a couple years ago as well b/c a friend requested me. But every single time I went on someone was "poking" me, or "throwing a snowball at me," inviting me to a "zombie fight," sending me flair and other dumb crap. I hate all of those stupid applications. Plus, I didn't like that you couldn't personalize your page like you can on Myspace. Well, about six months ago there seemed to be this big boom on FB and a lot of my old friends started coming out of the woodworks so I found I was spending more time on FB. Also, I learned that when I get those dumb application requests, I have th option to "Block all applications" of that type... and I do! I've also found that know Myspace has succumbed to them... ugh... why do they exist? Anyway, so now I'm on FB everyday and might check Myspace a few times a month.

18. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Feb 8, 2009

You can block the applications and all the requests as well. I know it give you the option when you get a request - but I can't seem to find it without one - know it exists just dont remember where.

You can set up face book to be very locked down, it just takes a few minutes poking around with settings.

19. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 8, 2009

Like I said before I have both, and I keep both because I have different friends on either. I have more family friends and family on myspace and more people my age on facebook. (20's college age)

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 8, 2009

I have both, and I plan to keep both. I like the features of MySpace better, and I can control who sees what easier. I also like being able to customize it more.

However, I have some friends on Facebook that aren't on MySpace, so I have a Facebook, too. I find the Facebook Apps pretty annoying. They're not too bad when you check the page everyday, but I checked mine Thursday morning, and then again Sunday afternoon . . . and I had 65 application requests. Ugh.

21. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2009

With the exception of my husband being in a band..it looks like I WROTE this!!!
    I've got both accounts, but to be truthfully honest...I'm having a ball (and more adult friends have Facebook) on Facebook!

22. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2009

:lol:

I avoided this because i put in my married name and not both; it was an oversight, but I'm glad!

23. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 8, 2009

I checked, and all of my albums are "Friends only." So, say Mary comments on a picture of my (male) dog with a bow on his head after his trip to the groomer. John, who is a friend of Mary's but not a friend of mine, can't see that Mary commented on my picture? Or would John see that Mary commented on my picture, but he wouldn't be able to click "next" to see the other pictures in that album? Likewise, if Mary comments on a picture in John's album, and his album is "friends only" would I know that she commented on his picture? Does any of that make sense?

I ask because I did an "experiment" (for lack of a better word), and was able to view other users' albums. Is this because they have their albums set to "friends of friends" or "everyone"?

Sorry for all the questions... :blush:

24. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2009

I have two albums on FACEBOOK and realized that my picture settins on one of them was set for EVERYONE to view! UGH!

Just fixed it; thanks.