MYSELF UNIT???

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by SchoolRocks, Jan 5, 2008.

1. SchoolRocks

SchoolRocks Companion

Jan 5, 2008

Any ideas for a unit on "myself" for Soc. Studies? :confused:

3. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jan 5, 2008

Where I live, Who my family is, Who my friends are. Have a star of the day and find out information about each one. I love to send a poster home to be filled out by the fmaily and returned for sharing the next day. Depending on the time do 2 a day. Also combine with 5 senses and body for science at the same time.

4. SchoolRocks

SchoolRocks Companion

Jan 5, 2008

Thanks! I love the take home poster idea for student of the day! Coincidentally we are doing the five senses in science:)

5. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Jan 7, 2008

I did a unit on this.

Have them bring in something that is special to them from home and have them present it to the class. Tell parents that you don't want any commercial toys or videos- things like blankets or pictures are more appropriate. Create a class museum from these things.

Put a large roll of butcher paper out, with mirrors and trays of multicultural paint. Allow kids to mix paints to match their skin color (rubbing it on their hands if they need to), and paint themselves. After every child's portrait is painted, hang this on the wall or door.

Discuss ways that children in the class are the same and ways they are different- make a chart of this. For example, eye colors are different, but they all like cats (maybe).

Have family members come in and tell stories about their children, or read a favorite story of their child to the class. Have children make a class book - each have their own page- with a drawing of themselves or a photo, and a few sentences about themselves.

Discover interests of each child using interest surveys- allow children to share interests or talents with the class. For example, if one child really likes dinosaurs, bring in lots of dinosaur books and toys and give him a "dinosaur expert" badge to wear. Explain to the class that if they have a question about dinosaurs, they should ask him! If another child can tie shoes, name them the official "shoe-tyer"

I would actually choose to do this unit at the beginning of the year, and assign class jobs during this time and try some community building activities.

Look at "Together We're Better" by Bev Bos and "The Kindness Curriculum"

I would have family as a completely separate unit- there is so much to cover there!