My worst demo lesson

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Pi2, May 16, 2019.

1. Pi2

Pi2 Rookie

May 16, 2019

So I just did a demo lesson today, high school math. Normally I had planned it so throughout until I made a terrible mistakes about giving incompleted answer: "There are two solutions, but I told them there is one." I realized that after the time was up (they only gave me 20 minutes). I was so nervous because they were all seniors and they lacked a lot of prior knowledge so it was awkward, uncomfortable and in the end I rushed everything until I made that terrible mistake. I was able to tell the interviewer that if I could reteach, I would correct that mistake and he told me that he could see me being very nervous the whole time.

I have been crying so much on the way home because I am REALLY good at math and teaching it. I had never made any mistake in my student teaching.

I am a new teacher, recently graduated and desperate for job.

PS: I had another demo three days ago at a middle school and I don't know, it was better but I haven't heard back for three days so I am assuming they are not going to hire me either.

I do not know what to do now. I am so embarrassed

3. Aces

Aces Habitué

May 17, 2019

Take a deep breath! It's going to be okay! Your interviewer understands that you were nervous and it's okay to be nervous! Try not to stress yourself and let it get to you because believe me, everyone is nervous during interviews and demo lessons. I sat in on a demo lesson/interview today and the poor lad dropped a beaker of alcohol on the ground. He was embarrassed but we're still going to hire him for next year.

Pi2 likes this.
  4. Pi2

Pi2 Rookie

May 17, 2019

Thank you for your kind words! I was so depressed and disappointed in myself. I kept thinking that the interviewers and students would think of me as: "That girl could not teach math!" It is just so hurtful. Being a teacher and teaches incorrect information, especially MATH.

I just hope that the interviewers yesterday would not tell other schools about me because I am going to have an interview on next Thursday in the same district.

I guess I will write down all answers for my next demo (if I am ever going to have one)

5. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 17, 2019

You are being way too hard on yourself. Nerves are a problem for many.
    At the next opportunity, remind yourself to breathe. :) You set the pace that is comfortable for you. We all make mistakes. Humans err. The observers err. Just relax. You may get that very job. :)

Aces and Pi2 like this.
  6. Aces

Aces Habitué

May 18, 2019

Joyful is correct: you're being too hard on yourself. Interviewers take into account that you're nervous, and it's okay. Trust me, we've all been there!

Pi2 likes this.
  7. Pi2

Pi2 Rookie

May 18, 2019

Thank you, Aces and Joyful. I am better now. I am practicing and preparing my interview next week. I hope it will go well. I have always been rejected so I am having a trauma of interviews too, but I will try my best :)

Joyful! likes this.
  8. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 20, 2019

I am confident you will knock it out of the park! :)