My worst behaved students take up all my time.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Shayla182, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Shayla182

Shayla182 New Member

Jun 15, 2015

I have had a huge issue for the majority of the year with about 5 of my students. They are a huge distraction. I have a class of 25 kindergarteners. They all need my attention as it is and I have about 5 of them that have sucked the life out of me. Every moment of the day, I am constantly on top of them because if I give them any amount of independence, they will either destroy something, bother other students, ruin their work, or do whatever they want. This is a huge burden and I have lost my patience with them completely. I am grateful that I only have a week left with these kids, but I feel like I missed out on really teaching the others that needed me. As an experienced teacher, I feel like I should have been able to handle these kids better, but anything I did failed. They have only gotten worse and now I am at a point where I can barely manage them. It's like they enjoy when I repeat myself, or when I get mad at them. Please help. :help::help::help::help::dizzy:

3. hopesma

hopesma Rookie

Jun 15, 2015

No great answers for you but I had a similar year with older kids so I can sympathize. I hate that the behaviors take so much time from the others but I never found a solution that worked all the time.

4. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 16, 2015

That was my class this year. I had 4 on behavior plans and felt like i spent my entire year just managing behaviors. But, they did eventually become somewhat manageable, but not until around March. What worked for me was working very closely with our school psychologist. Those 4 had behavior problems on day 1, so by the 3rd week of school she was in my classroom observing and helped me develop individual behavior plans and systems for each of them. It was a pain, but I had to find what reinforced each child and then use that each day. I also kept in close contact with the parents and was lucky to have them support my efforts at school. So, if their daily behavior contract showed they had a rough day, they didn't get X at home. Hopefully next year you'll have an easier class though.

5. renard

renard Companion

Jun 16, 2015

First, remember, some years are worse than others - if you are an experienced teacher, you know that you'll get through this and have a better class soon enough. Fingers crossed for next year!

And to your above quote, I'll bet you are spot-on about that. There are some children (and we all know who they are) who will thrive with attention, good or bad, they don't care. Maybe they have not learned this at home. Planned ignoring (a very useful strategy we use in SPED) may be worth implementing for children who need to learn that they should not try and command attention constantly.