My World History Students

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Historyteaching, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 30, 2009

3. greengables

greengables Rookie

Aug 30, 2009

I could only see the first pic, but they looked great. It seems they really took their time and put a lot of effort into it.

4. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 30, 2009

I was really happy with the majority of it...only took them one class period and they got into it. I'm so going to use this next year. This is one of those keeper activities! Thanks greengables

5. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 30, 2009

Hm, I also teach World History, and am curious as the details of this assignment (if you wouldn't mind sharing?). The internet is bad for this, so don't take this as critical, I'm legitimately just curious... what was the purpose behind having them do these? Or I suppose, how did you connect to to Realism for the kids to understand/work with?

I'm bad at coming up with decent activities to do, so I'm always interested when I see different options....

6. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 30, 2009

Within Renaissance, the people grew in how they created works of art. If you look at the middle ages, items were as my students call it 'cartoonish' and lifeless, within the Italian/Northern Reniassance, statues, sculptures, and paintings began to look more 'real', there was definition in the bodies, realistic backgrounds, more 3D instead of 1D.

As part of standards, students were required to discuss/explain/understand the 'rethinking' of the time period. We looked at how the art had changed. I used this, I found it on the internet-I'm not completely this creative to come up with things-and used it as a fun, hands-on activity to have the students create their own realistic item, and to use a tool that normally wouldn't be used-they wanted to use pocket knives. I told them to also imagine if they were these artists who may not have had exceptional tools as they would today and the manpower and time it took to make sculptures such as DAVID. In all honesty, it doesn't to the "T" connect with the complete standard, however, it is a supplement to it. We covered the standard as it was, but I like to have just a 'fun-learning' activity that lets the students relax their brains on some capacity and level to just enjoy. I am a firm believer in Gardner's MI and I have many kinesthetic students. In fact, a student who is rather hyper was an utter doll when he found out we were doing this type of project at the end of the week, if they did the notes/lecture and other things in the days beforehand. He was so excited about the idea, even started asking other students if they had me the whole day before his class to see what we were really doing with the soap. That right there was such a boost for me and for him.

I don't take it as critical Ron..no worries..it may not be something that you feel connects enough for your purposes or your school's.

7. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 30, 2009

Hm, no, it makes perfect sense now, and I actually think it's pretty cool. I created an account at Snapfish to look at the pictures.

We're on a block schedule, so supplemental activities are critical. I won't get to the Renaissance until next semester, but it's something I might do...

8. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 30, 2009

I told my students on ..Tuesday that if they were 'good' and worked well, no problems that on Friday we'd play with soap. I never told them exactly what, but said it had to do with the chapter unit. It got their interest going.

I went to the dollar store and grabbed soap and the cheap plastic forks. They put a paper towel on their desk to catch the shavings. They could only use the fork, but if they wanted to break the fork and use it easier they could. I told them they could make anythng they wanted, but it HAD to look realistic and not be something offensive or vulgar. It took them about 30-40 minutes once they got started. I would suggest to tell them a few days ahead to be thinking of what things they'd like to make with soap. I had a couple that sat kind of dumbfounded and didn't turn out good creations. Majority of the students rocked the project.

9. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 30, 2009

I found it in a whole unit where an art teacher was teaching the renaissance, I adapted it to better fit what I needed to do. Thought I'd add that info.

10. ecl

ecl Rookie

Aug 30, 2009

That is wonderful. Thank you for sharing this idea.

11. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2009

Anything you can do in history to give kids a taste of the reality behind history is wonderful. This is a great little activity just to get them the smallest idea of how much of a genius Michelangelo truly was. Carving out of soap is one thing, carving out of one unbroken piece of marble is entirely another!

One thing I love to do to further drive this same idea home is to have my students try to draw something under their desks to simulate the work on the Sistine Chapel. That activity is easily the highlight of my year. The kids think I'm nuts when I tell them what they'll be doing.

12. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 30, 2009

Rockguy..I was going to do that last year and didn't..however my "partner in crime" the other WC teacher is doing that with her students. I only have 2 WC this year, so I was able to 'afford' the soap..the other teacher has about 4, so this wasn't as feasible for her.
    I like both activities.

13. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 30, 2009

I may try and fit this in with my freshman this year.

14. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Sep 4, 2009

They are still talking about it...