My wife is upset

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by love2help, Nov 10, 2010.

1. love2help

love2help Rookie

Nov 10, 2010

My wife is very upset that I took pictures with my students on my cell-phone. What in the world is her problem?

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 10, 2010

Perhaps she's trying to protect you???? Did you have permission to take the kids' pictures?

Or maybe she's very immature?

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 10, 2010

I'm not even going to touch this one. I've already been told off enough about this topic...:dizzy:

5. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Nov 10, 2010

I would never have students on my cell phone. Harmless as it may seem, it just feels weird to me because of all the problems it could potentially have.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2010

There is case law upholding the firing of teachers over the use of social networks (even with privacy features engaged), emailing with students, photos online...I wouldn't open myself up to any question of impropriety by having students' photos on my phone if I were you.

7. love2help

love2help Rookie

Nov 10, 2010

my wife is a very smart and logical gal. I think she's just trying to protect me.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2010

Then listen to her. :love:

I take pics of my kids but I use a regular camera, just like all of the other teachers I work with. On your cellphone, it seems to add a creepy factor. Even if you meant no harm, in this day and age, why even bother taking pics of kids with your cell phone? Cameras are pretty cheap too.

9. love2help

love2help Rookie

Nov 10, 2010

ok i will take ya'll advice and use a camera instead if I ever plan on taking pics of students. I don't want to "CREEP" anyone out or seem "WEIRD" by golly to anyone.

10. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 10, 2010

I can think of two times I've done it -

1) Working in a program that relied very heavily on daily photo documentation of daily activities. Our camera was stolen, so staff used their phones for a day or two until it was replaced.

2) I had a student whose parent was in the hospital. They weren't allowing children in, so she had to go quite a while without seeing her kids. She asked that I could send photo texts so she'd feel a little less out of the loop.

But other than that, no... I'll stick to a camera.

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2010

We were recently in a 5 hour lockdown because of a bomb scare. We took pictures of the kids in lockdown and sent to their parents to prove they were happy and well to alieve parents' fears. I take a list of parents' cell phone numbers with me when we are evacuated anywhere or even drills just in case.

Otherwise, I agree - I use a digital camera and have signed photo releases from all the parents. And....whether it is fair or not...men have to be even more careful and paranoid than women. I would ditch the cell phone.

12. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Nov 11, 2010

I agree men have to be more careful than women in these cases. I remind myself of that all the time. However, I don't agree using a cell phone camera is any creepier than using a regular camera.

I've taken hundreds of photos of our kids at different events (field trips, school carnival, etc) with my personal camera - which I then took home with me. There were never any objections made or questions raised about what I was going to do with those pics when I got home. On a recent field trip, I forgot my camera, so my only option was to use my cell phone camera. All of my team members were on the trip as well and none of them voiced any concerns.

I just don't see what makes one situation appropriate and the other inappropriate. *shrug*

13. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 11, 2010

All legitimate points.

I will say that it is IMO very much a much-ado-about-nothing kinda thing. Cerek is right also about men having to be more careful... the specter of pervy behavior always looms. But strictly in a legal sense, while no one can tell you not to take pictures out on a public street or place, this is quite different.

My feeling about it being blown out of proportion is the fact that, I think in the near future, with digital picture taking & such we will come to a point where people will be able to snap pictures so easily, that this kind of thing won't be on the radar (as potential misconduct or whatever you want to call it) anymore. Like in 5-10 years, probably everyone will have a camera, possibly on their phone... with the capability of taking pictures at 50x zoom or something crazy... that, if they wanted, they could just stand at the local bus stop, zoom in on the playground area, and snap photos at their heart's content.

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 11, 2010

I agree don't use cell phone. Use the school camera instead. I have one student on my cell phone. It's because he was showing me how to take a picture with it (he was five haha). His mom is now my aide, so it's not a big deal.

15. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Nov 11, 2010

I have an iphone app (hotseat- chooses students randomly) that has a function for student pictures. It was really helpful in the beginning of the year--learning 137 students--but then I realized it was a little creepy having students' pictures on my iphone. I ended up deleting them.

I think there are legit uses for having student pictures on smart phones. Phones aren't that different from laptops.

16. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Nov 11, 2010

I think that the concern is not the picture but what a person can do with the picture on the cell phone? It is too easy to send to others and that could be questioned? Whereas, on a camera, even though you can also send these out, it isn't as easy to do or track? That might be the concern here. I know that I am very careful when and how I take pictures of my students. To the point that I haven't really taken any pictures of my students this year. Guess I shouldn't be that freaked out about it...

17. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Nov 11, 2010

All the pics I take of students are downloaded onto my PC and then usually transferred to CD. It would be even easier to email photos from the PC than a phone, so I disagree that it isn't as easy to do. Personally, I think it is easier to do from the PC.

So there really isn't a valid reason to consider pics on a cell phone any creepier than pics on a digital camera.

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 11, 2010

While I agree that on a computer is just as bad, the current buzz issue is sexting. The immediacy, the relative secrecy, I think that adds to the "worseness" of cell phone pictures. Kids can text in the pocket of a hoodie, something you really can't do with a digital camera and a computer. That's what make makes cell phone pictures a more serious offense...

Does that make sense?

19. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Nov 11, 2010

Guilty! I use my iPhone camera to take pictures of the class during the day to make slideshows for the parents. Granted, it would be tough to sexualize pictures of kids playing a math cardgame, but the world is full of all kinds of people.

I guess I'll keep on taking pictures because the benefits outweigh the risks. Hopefully the worries of the world won't come down on me in my classroom!

20. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Nov 11, 2010

For kids? Yes.
    For teachers? No.

But that's just my opinion. :)

21. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Nov 11, 2010

In my school district, parents have to sign a media release even if I want to put the children's photos on my school-based web page. When I take Halloween photos, I usually take only the children with masks, since we are not allowed to show their faces. People are paranoid, and perhaps, rightly so. So I do NOTHING that compromises my position as a teacher.

22. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Nov 11, 2010

Good points. I don't think it a black and white, right or wrong kind of issue. For me, the cell phone just feels too personal. I don't have any points to back up why I feel that way versus a camera, but it just feels different.

23. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 11, 2010

24. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Nov 11, 2010

:lol::rofl::beatdeadhorse::rofl:

25. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Nov 11, 2010

I don't feel that a teacher should be taking student pictures for their own personal use. That is inappropriate. HOWEVER, if you are taking them, uploading them to the computer then printing them off to display around the classroom, that's another thing.

26. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Nov 11, 2010

Sexting with high schoolers - bad idea in everyone's opinion. I'll bet even these "idiots" would agree.

27. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 11, 2010

I have a camera I mainly use, but when I've forgotten it at home, in a pinch, I do use my iPhone to take pics for my class website. All the kids I photograph have permission to be photographed and posted. After I post the photos, I delete them from my phone - it's pretty much like using a camera - well that's how I'm using it anyhow... one more thing to be paranoid about I suppose.

28. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Nov 11, 2010

I have a digital camera that I normally use to take photos of the class activities (with permission of course). On the day of our Fall party, my camera batteries were dead so I did use my cell phone.

I used to always make sure I had a camera in the car in case of an accident. Now with most cell phones having cameras, I don't feel the need.

29. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2010

I think your wife is just trying to protect you. I would listen to her.

30. tortega

tortega Rookie

Nov 11, 2010

Purhaps an I'm sorry and a big kiss are in order :hugs:
    ;)

31. missg86

missg86 Rookie

Nov 12, 2010

I teach pre-k and I take pictures using my iPhone all day long. I keep my phone on me at all times in case of emergencies and it's so much easier than using my regular digital camera, which is the size of a normal 35mm. The pictures from my phone have decent resolution and I can capture moments as they're happening, instead of saying, "Hold it right there while I run and grab the camera!"

Plus, it allows me to email them to myself and print it out immediately.

I think it boils down to this:
    Using cell phones to "sext" with students? Not ok.
    Using cell phones to document student activities and then erasing them? Ok.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing, just use the technology appropriately!

and yes, I have a signed release from all parents allowing me to take pictures for classroom and professional use.

32. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Nov 12, 2010

As a parent, I would not be happy with a teacher taking photos of my children using their cell phone. I have seen photos posted to FB by teachers at my children's school.

The "permission to photo" form that comes home does not have any leeway in it with regard to social network, personal website, school website, or district site use. It is a form where you either give permission or you do not. I am OK with the district using a group photo where my child is in the group so long as the children are not identified by name. I am NOT okay with a teacher taking photos of my children and posting them on any social network or personal site including ning or zing or mumble or whatever they all are.

As a parent, I'm cannot be 100% sure that the teacher is going to delete the photos after use.

33. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Nov 13, 2010

A teacher could do the same thing with photos taken by a digital camera and, in fact, it would be easier than pics on the cell phone since the camera photos can be directly downloaded onto the PC.

I agree that a permission slip to take photos does not include permission to post those photos on the teacher's FB site. It also wouldn't include permission to post any photos on the teacher's classroom website unless that option was specifically mentioned on the permission slip.

34. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2010

I know ours does.

35. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Nov 13, 2010

I'm just not a fan of my children being posted on the internet. When they are OLDER, they can make their own choice about how much of an internet presence they want.

36. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2010

I take lots of pictures in class. 95% of them never leave my computer. The only ones that do are ones I email to parents of their own children or that go into the school yearbook.

I think that parents give permission to have their kids put on the school website. I would never post an image or even a name of a student on any website.