My unofficial CBEST scores

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Lacinda, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Lacinda

Lacinda Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

Hi all,

I just opened my unofficial CBEST scores and I obtained a 44 in the reading section and a 52 in the mathematics section. I am 47 years-of-age and am currently looking for a school where I can obtain a Ph d. in History in my area. I want to teach after I retire from the phone company in about 10 years and wanted to take the CBEST test now while my brain is still pliable and gooey! I purchased 3 books on the CBEST test and studied them for a few hours before my test date. This was my first time taking the test. I learned one lesson that I wanted to pass on to anyone who has not taken the CBEST test yet. If you find a certain question that you simply cannot answer...move on. I spent way too much time on the 1st math question, because I thought that all of the questions were as hard as the first one. I think I spent 15 min. on the first math question alone. Then, I realized that the next ones were easier or very easy. I hope my experience can help the next person.

What are my chances for passing the entire CBEST based upon my scaled scores above? Please wish me luck!

Cindy

3. Tamzara

Tamzara Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

Congrats Lacinda!

That is great advice for test takers. I did the same thing when I took the CBEST the first time. I was so worried that I ended up forgetting what I really knew how to do. Plus, I was so nervous I lost track of time.

But anyway, from what you posted, I believe have a great chance of passing the entire CBEST.

4. Lacinda

Lacinda Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

Passing up the harder questions

Thank-you, for your vote of confidence!
    Yes, as I said before, I knew in my head to pass up the harder questions and not spend too much time on them. It's just that my confidence level was not the greatest. Even thought I just received my M.A. degree, I haven't studied math in many years.
    What threw me for a loop, was that the hardest question was the first math question!

Anyway....thanks again for your prompt response.

Cindy

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 3, 2007

Lacinda, 52 in math is pretty good for someone whose confidence isn't at peak.

So you have 96 points in hand for reading and math. According to CBEST rules, you need 37 points minimum in essay, and 37 points will put you over the aggregate score of 123 required to pass CBEST as a whole. I'd say your chances of passing are fairly decent, provided you managed to write two adequate essays.

6. Lacinda

Lacinda Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

Thanks!

I am over here crossing my fingers! Yes, when I received my master's I didn't need any math really. Only 1 class on basic math in 2002 was when I last had it...

;)

7. Lacinda

Lacinda Rookie

Jul 9, 2007

YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hi all,

Just an update. Ok, I received my unofficial results along with the essay questions and I received a total of 143 points, 47 in the writing portion.

I hope I can be an example and a inspiration to older adults such as myself - who felt very nervous taking the test. You can do it! If I can do it - so can you!

Good luck to all!

8. Tamzara

Tamzara Rookie

Jul 9, 2007

CONGRATTSSS!!! =D

I didnt pass mine, but that seems to be a trend with me nowadays. Its okay, I guess.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 9, 2007

Well done, Lacinda!

10. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Jul 16, 2007

You did it!

I got my CBEST scores back... I got an 80 in reading, a 44 in math :( and a 63 in writing. I feel terrible about the math part but I've never ever been able to do good math so for me thats a victory ;)

11. Lacinda

Lacinda Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Holy cow! Great reading and writing scores! Congrats! So, because you were so high in the those you passed the whole CBEST right? Congrats again!

Lacinda

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 16, 2007

Scores of 41 across the board will do it for CBEST, in fact. Jarenko aced the reading and did quite nicely in the writing.