My Turn to Ask for Fingers Crossed

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsC, Sep 21, 2011.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2011

My principal asked me yesterday afternoon to conduct a 40-minute session during our Professional Development Day this coming Friday. I'm not concerned about the content--I could stand up and talk without having anything prepared--just having the time to pull together something cohesive, interesting and meaningful. I'm not usually a fan of PowerPoint presentations, but also don't want to do paper handouts that will get tossed into the recycling bins as everyone heads out the door. To add to my (low) degree of stress, I have a meeting to chair after school today and tomorrow night is our Meet the Teacher BBQ and Curriculum Night.

(I've been asking to do this session for a couple of years, so I'm glad to finally have the chance; I just wish I had more time to pull it together.)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2011

Funny, isn't it, how the actual teaching is the least stressful part of the day???

Best wishes, Mrs. C. We know you'll be great!

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 21, 2011

It absolutely is Alice, it absolutely is. It's the blessing of the day too.

Good luck, Mrs. C.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 21, 2011

You will be GREAT MrsC :)

Do you have a topic?

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2011

Yep...have the topic. The presentation will be about the process classroom teachers should follow when they have a student who is under-achieving in one or more areas (academic, behaviour, social/emotional, etc). The teachers know the "what" of what needs to happen, we'll be talking more specifically about the "how". I'm going to talk about: identifying the most urgent areas of need, deciding upon appropriate interventions or accommodations, communicating concerns to parents, the paperwork involved, and the next steps. Oh, typing that it sounds really boring! I'll be having the teachers work with some mock cases, and (hopefully) showing them that what sounds like a daunting task isn't so bad--it's all about good teaching practice.

7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2011

That only sounds UNinteresting to someone that really doesn't want to be bothered. For those that want to really help the child (and doesn't want to just slough it off as a real choice the child is making but a problem the child is having) it sounds like a very important and helpful presentation. Remember, presentations don't have to be FUN they need to be relevent and engaging (being able to understand the purpose, how it relates to your situation, and understandable in a way that the knowledge can be applied). You can certainly put a bit of interest in by having re-enactments as part of the discussion.

Good luck. I wish you success. Also, think specifically about those teachers that DO NOT buy into non-producing kids WANTING to succeed but acting out to hide their inability or having high frustration levels that make them shut down. This to me seems to be one of the biggest thought hurdles that students are faced with - a teacher that seems to think that a child can easily overcome emotions and problem-solve in situations many adults can not seem to do.

8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2011

I did the session on writing the college application essay at my district's college fair last night, which was at one of the other HS's. Last year, when it was at my school, I had 60 people packed into my little room for each of three sessions, so I asked to have a bigger room this year. I'm not sure, but I think there were over 100 people in the first two sessions and somewhat fewer in the last. It was incredibly hot, the lcd projector made the colors in my PowerPoint look funky, and when I got home I realized my pants had been unzipped the entire evening.

On the bright side, everyone seemed very appreciative (and my shirt covered the front of my pants).

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2011

Good luck, MrsC. You will do great!

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2011

Such good points, a2z! Unfortunately, there are a few teachers who feel that if they just yell a little louder or are a little more condescending, the child will "snap out of it".

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2011

Hope all goes well!!!! *I'm sure it will!*:D

12. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2011

Maybe with your presentation they will realize that the steps needed are not so overwhelming when they know how, and it is worthwhile to get the students the help they need.

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2011

Good luck, MrsC!

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2011

Went great--got a high-five from my VP for my Prezi. I'm glad that I went before lunch on this rainy day full of meetings!

15. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2011

Happy to hear it went well!

16. BookWorm125

BookWorm125 New Member

Sep 23, 2011

good luck!:)

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2011

Yay!

18. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2011

That's great!

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2011

That's wonderful!!!! Congrats!!!

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 23, 2011

I'm curious. Did you end up role playing?

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2011

I don't "do" role-playing :lol:--it's so not me. I gave a short Prezi presentation, then the teachers worked in pairs or small groups to come up with a short intervention plan for a student in a mock scenario (for example--a grade 5 student who rarely completes homework, a grade 2 student who has difficulty listening to a lesson for longer than 5 minutes, a grade 3 student who struggles with written expression). Some extended the activity to begin a plan for a student in their class--perfect! We wanted it to be purposeful and meaningful, and I think that it was.

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 23, 2011

Glad it went well :)

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 23, 2011

Maybe not the best word choice but that's what I meant MrsC. I wasn't actually envisioning the teachers doing actual acting bits. Glad it went well!

24. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2011

Good luck! I am sure it well go great. Here's to hoping you have plenty of preparing time... :) But, I know you will do splendidly well. :)