My Teacher Closet

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cutNglue, Aug 10, 2008.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2008

I think it's kind a funny that I already have a teacher's closet before I'm even half way through the program. It helps that half the stuff is great mom stuff too. I'm hoping my actual classroom is spacious enough because I don't know how much junk I'm gonna collect between now and then. On the plus side, I get a lot of my stuff CHEAP. Some of my BB sets were under $1 during some online sales. I pick stuff for k-2.

[​IMG]
    Top Shelf View (rt. wall)
    Office Trays
    Empty Storage Containers
    Supply Boxes

[​IMG]
    Middle Shelf View (back wall)
    My Kids’ Games
    My Student’s Educational Games
    Stamping Supplies
    Binders (thank you Staples)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Bottom Shelf View (rt. wall)
    Our Documents (behind clothes and in magazine racks)
    Office Filing Supplies (and tons of pocket folders—thanks Staples)
    Craft Supplies (subdivided inside with small storage containers)
    Teacher Resource Books (and College Stuff)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Floor View (rt. wall)
    My kids’ books (sitting on my trunk of pleasure reading books)
    Supplies Storage Chest
    -school supplies
    -stickers
    -reg & construction paper
    Bulletin Board Stuff, Posters, Blank Posterboards

[​IMG]
    Floor View (left wall)
    Classroom Pet Rats (3)

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2008

You are going to have plenty of stuff for your first room!! When do you finish?

4. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

Great start!

You are off to a great start.:up: I started early but was not as organized as you are. Congratulations on the bargains. It gets easier to know what to look for once you know for sure what grade(s) you'll be teaching. It's rare to stay with one grade throughout your career so it's wonderful that you have a nice variety.:)

5. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 10, 2008

OMG!! You are so organized and will have so much stuff to start off with. One thing I learned starting out this year: buy as many books of all varieties that you can for your classroom library. I guess I thought that I would get a good discount as a techer, but not true for me.
    Man, I wish you could come organize my stuff and my closets!!!

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2008

Though I do pick stuff I can use on my job now as an aide, I try for generic stuff when possible.

I got 2 more years.

7. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Aug 10, 2008

cutNglue, you are my inspiration! I have been collecting things but feeling like I shouldn't yet (I have one more year). I've been buying books for my classroom library (almost 800 now) and vistaprint stuff, but otherwise I felt silly. Now I don't!! I'm going for it! Thanks for the photos! Think of how prepared you'll be!

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2008

Dream, I also started a website to digitally hold everything I'm working on and a variety of resources I collect along the way. I wish I had started 3 years ago because it's a little bare compared to what I know I've done. Then my hard drive crashed and I lost it all. It's still up but I can't get some of the stuff back to fix the errors, etc. Sigh. So...I'm considering switching to MAC. I need to start backing up everything weekly at least. I also started making a new website this weekend. It's the same idea but I'm liking my graphics better this time now that I know what I'm doing a little better. THIS idea came from an intern that we had one semester that suggested I go ahead and start storing my stuff in one place so it will help me with my portfolio later. I thought, man..it can do so much more than that if I really put the time into it.

I haven't bought any books. Our schools are well stocked. We have too many books for the ability of the children and the space we have. I haven't thought of books really. I am going to buy "Thank You, Mr. Falker" for MYSELF by Patricia Pollaco. I'm considering several of her books. This one is an inspiration for teachers but it is a children's book. It's also a true story.

Based on an assignment this summer, I wouldn't mind starting "literature book lists" though so I will at least be able to remind myself what is out there and what books are good for what not to mention which ones inspired me enough to keep a record of it.

9. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I'll share.
    As I mentioned, I've mainly been collecting books. Here are some: [​IMG]
    The purple boxes are filled with books for 3rd+. I have 14 boxes all together so far (almost 800 books).
    Here are my binders full of AtoZ forum stuff. Yep. All of them. In fact I need to get more binders because the wire basket next to them is full of even more ideas I have stolen and the binders are bustin' at the seams. See how wonderful you all are?!
    [​IMG]
    A few teacher odds and ends (and more books):
    [​IMG]
    A few more teacher odds and ends and . . . Vistaprint! Also, see my wonderful class mascot? I got that great dragon while vacationing this summer. I love him! My daughter calls him Cosmo. Maybe.
    [​IMG]
    All my teacher books are in a bookshelf in my office.
    Now, I've got to start getting more of those other "teacher" things like cutNglue! I'm on it!

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2008

P.S. I consider my best buy so far to be....drum roll...

A die that has a die inside of it. You the die and then add, subtract, multiply or divide the two dice. It's called a double die.

NO WAY!! I was doing an image search to show you what I'm talking about and I found....

[​IMG]

There are THREE inside of there.

I've decided as a teacher I'm keeping different type of dice (depending on grade level) in the math supply center at all times and students can choose which kinds they want to use when playing board games during cross curricular times.

11. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Aug 10, 2008

cutNglue, you were posting when I was! :)

The website is a GREAT idea! I have one for my subbing, so it shouldn't be too hard to start adding to it. I've already made lesson plans and teacher related materials for some of my courses. Storing them in one place is a very good idea. Thanks!

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2008

Your closet is PACKED Dream. Wow!!

13. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I want those dice! Cool!

14. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Aug 10, 2008

Yeah, jam-packed. But not enough teacher stuff. Maybe I'll have to get rid of "other" stuff so I can make more room for teacher stuff!

15. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 10, 2008

yeah those dice are cool...where did you get them from?

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2008

I am trying not to store too much paperwork but I don't want these good ideas to go out the window once I start teaching. We learn so much but how many of us use it to the best of our ability. Heck, we can't remember it. So I'm trying to help with that some. I also started doing this: At the end of my course I take whatever is in my notebook at the time (unless it is obvious junk or scrap) and put it in a manilla folder and label it with the course. I know I don't feel like organizing something at the end of the semester, but I don't want this stuff (good ideas)to be lost either. I also made a template that says something like methods and strategies, tips, and I forget what else. There are 4 columns. Basically most of what I learn in class that I can directly apply to my classroom can fit in these 4 columns. It isn't something to keep my study (final exam) notes on. It's a good idea or need to remember this for the future kind of stuff. At the end of the course, it is all on ONE peice of paper. Gotta love it!

17. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Aug 10, 2008

Wow, that is a great idea! I know what you mean about not wanting the idea to get lost. You are very organized. That's wonderful!

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2008

I got mine from my teacher store. Those came from http://dicegamers.com

Awe Man! That website looks AWESOME!

The one I have displayed above is listed at $0.80 and the ones I have in my closet shown below are listed at $0.65 each.

We already do informal orders of operation in 1st grade using those dice. We roll two of these double dies. Then we total each of them (outside,inside..either add or subtract) and then those totals have to be added or subtracted from each other. Does that make sense? We set the parameters based on what we think the game board can handle and they do all the work.

This is what mine looks like:

[​IMG]

Example: Subtract outside/inside (depending which is larger number) of the purple dice. Subtract outside/inside of the red dice. Then add the purple and red totals together.

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 10, 2008

Oh, good God. I can't believe how organized you are. THIS is what I'm working with-this is all my teaching stuff.... oh, and another closet full of about 15 boxes of books, about 15 boxes stored in a friend's garage and three chairs full of 'stuff' in the living room....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikuppman/sets/72157606662215075/

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2008

This is how the "teacher closet" helped the mommy role today. My baby is going into Kinder this year and we were playing with ABC flashcards. He doesn't know all the letters and can't put them in order which is fine but because he's encouraged to write his letters a lot (random order) I thought we would create an ABC wall. It turned into a full day and involved the entire family. It also did a great job of covering all the stuff he wrote on the walls some time ago and we never got around to repainting (for the 4th time).

The first pic is the entire area. The second focuses on the bottom area. We have the ABC's, Numbers, Sign Alphabet, A Plastic Plate Puppet, his name, Heart flowers bouquet and his ABC writings and drawings. I wish my camera was MUCH better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2008

Jem you looked like you started out with a good plastic tote system and it went haywire! Lol.

My philsophy is if I can't see it, I won't remember it.

22. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Aug 10, 2008

Oh, Jem, I don't envy you having to organize all that. I wish I could help and 'play' with all your teacher goodies!

23. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Aug 10, 2008

You are off to a great start.... Hopefully, you will get to use it soon.

24. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Aug 11, 2008

I thought I had a lot of stuff... Now i'm a little jealous. I graduate in Dec and I am going to have to go to the Dollar tree and the other places i've learned about on this great site to catch up!!!

25. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 11, 2008

Actually, I just bought those plastic totes to put stuff in! I'm trying to get everything in a labeled box before I bring it to school, and it's a bit like playing tetris. This box over here, so I can get to this box without stepping on that pile of papers... oh-HERE'S my three hole punch that I need to put my writing binders together....

My husband is going crazy because we can't put the futon back in the room until I clean up... I'm going crazy because half of that stuff is going in a garage sale but I have to live with it until then.... My bunny is going crazy because he wants to get in and hide in/chew up everything and the door is always closed!

I get in my room FRIDAY!!!, so hopefully it will all be over soon. :eek:

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 11, 2008

You would HATE to see how I organize.

I literally dump everything from every thing I can find and in every corner I can find it and start over. I start just generally sorting stuff into piles and stuff. I don't touch actually organizing anything until I get the stuff sorted and I'm satisfied with that. Then I start putting it away or finding something that works for it. It takes forever but it works for me. I do that 3 times a year with this closet. Even though it is organized, kids go through it and over time things just don't look as crisp. I STILL dump everything from my closet onto my bed and start over. That way I can make logical sense of what I'm doing as I'm doing it rather than just "putting it away." It took me EIGHT hours to redo that closet and my bedroom. I still have a dresser full of stuff that "goes in other rooms" that I haven't put away yet. I organized my nightstand, teacher closet, wrapping paper area (under the bed), cleaned out from under any small areas such as the bed and dresser and I organized my bathroom and forgot to touch (shhh) my dresser. That took me 8 hours even though it still had the structure it had last May when I last did it. My reasoning is, I organize things better that way than with the "put it away" approach which is really just the "find a place for it" approach AND I have differnet purposes at different times of the year. At teh end of the school year, I need my closet to be more user friendly for summer crafts, games, etc. During the school year I need school supplies, separate areas for them and me, etc to be the system.

Edit to Add: I saw on a cleaning show one time where the organizers put 3 boxes on the floor. The boxes were labeled trash, keep and donate. That's the FIRST part of sorting. Figure out what you want to keep first. THEN sort it by types, need, etc. If I try to do it at the same time I end up keeping stuff unnecessarily because I don't feel like figuring out if I really need it or not. I'm too tired at that point.