My teacher aide is bored!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by puff5655, Sep 23, 2010.

1. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Sep 23, 2010

I need suggestions. I have 2.5 hours of prep time during the school day, which is more than enough time for me to get everything done that I need to.

My problem is, I have my aide for this entire time too, and I have nothing for her to do!

She's older, forgets things easily and has trouble hearing, so I wouldn't trust her to do any big things like setting up activities.

Any ideas? I feel like I'm going to have to put extra energy into making up things for her to do.

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 23, 2010

Can you use her to make folder games or center activities? These are things I ALWAYS need new ones of :)

4. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Sep 23, 2010

Maybe, but probably not. Even the little tasks I give her, like cutting and taping pieces together, aren't done well and I usually end up redoing it myself.

I really wish I wasn't forced to have an aide, but it's part of the grant.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 23, 2010

Have her clean. Sanitize the toys, wipe down the shelves.

Sweep the floors, hang up pictures, count the crayons.

6. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Sep 23, 2010

Although I'm not sure we need our crayons counted, :p, great idea!!

I can have her sharpen crayons and pencils daily, and keep painting as an option daily- that requires plenty of cleaning.

Disinfecting the toys is perfect for Wednesdays when I have meetings from 2:30-4:00 and she's stuck in the room.

Thanks again!

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 23, 2010

Do you have a die-cut machine? Sometimes die-cuts take FOREVER but need to be done :)

Of course, yours could be like a TA sub I had for a while last year... even with my explicit instructions, she couldn't make the ones I wanted (I knew there were 3 different flowers. I told her... and wrote down... I needed 12 of everything EXCEPT one particular one... I got 12 of the ones Ididn't need.).

She needed more hand-holding than the kids... I understand your frustration!!!

8. new2twos

new2twos Rookie

Sep 23, 2010

I understand also. This yr I have 2 diffrent assistants. One is for the 1 yr old days the other for the 2 yr old days. Well last yr I had the same assistant for all 4 days and all she did was change diapers and take kids to the potty. Which was great but all the setting up,lesson plans,reading to them was all on me. Well I found out later that the assistants were supposed to do bible time. Well I spent so much time preparing at home on the weekends so that things were easier in the mmornings. Fast foward to this year I have an awesome assistant in the twos class and I find myself still stuck in the habit of doing everything at home and then she says well i would have done that. I feel bad.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 23, 2010

I really think the aid should be trained to know her/his role in the classroom.

For instance, when you have circle time, they are there to support you. She should be supervising toileting/handwashing. She needs to be your back up and move the where she is needed. If she doesn't, train her.

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 24, 2010

Cutting and pasting projects... Coloring Learning Centers for the Kids, making flash cards for kids to practice at home, or running off papers for you, etc. Send her my way. I could use a set of hands even ones that might forget something every once in a while...

11. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Sep 26, 2010

Then write it down for her to follow. A lot of people with hearing impairments could be hurt by this remark.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2010

You may need to redefine for yourself what 'done well' is. It may not be as you would do it, but what she does may be acceptable. Accepting differences and working with others is something we teach our students. We need to expect the same of ourselve.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 26, 2010

While I completely agree with you Czacza and respect what you are saying. I think I understand the position puff is in. I once had sub aide that anything I asked her to do wasn't done well. Photos copies came back crooked and half the page was missing, cut out looked like a five year old did it. Needless to say I did it all my self after she went home. And when I do have her as a sub she sits in the back of the room. I don't know what to do with her. :blush:
    We have asked not to have her but we still get her once in a while. At least I haven't had her for a week straight again!