My supply list- what do you think?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Lyquidphyre, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

Considering I have hardly anything being a soon-to-be first year teacher here is the list I have come up with-

*desk calender
    *stackable turn in trey
    *plastic desktop storage drawers
    *extra pencils for students
    *RSVP pens for both grading and writing
    *Spirals for me to write my notes in/for students
    *Binders for however many different classes I have and a "mock" binder for the students to see if they are missing anything (I plan to have binder checks) and maybe an "I was absent" binder
    *Post-it notes
    *5 bottles of glue (for students to use) EDIT: more glue
    *5 pairs of cheap-o scissors (for students to use) EDIT: more scissors
    *1 good pair of scissors for me
    *Binder clips
    *white out
    *overhead pens/chalk/dry erase markers (dependent upon how the classroom is set up)
    *Manilla paper (for my word wall)
    *5 rulers (for students to use)
    *index cards
    *hand soap
    *envelops
    *gradebook
    *stickers (I love, love, love Alice's "sticker worthy" grade idea!)
    *map pencils
    *markers

Right now I have:
    *a sliding grader
    *TONS of BB borders given to me by my bf's mom
    *BB calenders
    *Inspirational posters- once I have money I plan to purchase Biology related posters
    *paper clips
    *Lots of ideas!

I was thinking I might get something like this-
    http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...ductId=128869&cmArea=SC1:CG30:DP4320:CL142536
    for me to put graded papers and papers to be graded that I can take to and from school. That way I don't have TONS of papers in the turn in trey or something.

Do schools give secondary teachers any money for supplies? Am I missing anything obvious?

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 11, 2007

If I were you, and you can afford it, I would stock up on the glue/glue sticks/markers/pens/etc while you can. You'll use more than 5 during the year, I suspect, and even if you don't, it's not like it will go bad.

Of course, you probably shouldn't trust me. Office Max is like a crack house to me.:eek:

4. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

I've always been a sucker for school supplies so I'm sure I'll be getting my fix soon enough =oP

Since I'm Biology I wasn't sure how much glue/scissors I would need and I'm not sure what the school requires of students when it comes to school supplies. But I guess while they are really cheap I should stock up, if anything I will have them for a few years and I won't be going out to get glue at 2am because my plan for the next day calls for it.

I didn't even think about markers or map pencils! Those are really important *goes to write them down on my list)

5. VA2500

VA2500 Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I would recommend glue sticks rather than bottled glue.
    Good job stickers - kids will say how corny, but if you forget one they will say, "Ms. Where is my sticker?"

For pencils and pen. Be sure to require a deposit when they borrow. A shoe is good, or you will be buying lots of pens and pencils.

Supplies are the cost of being a teacher. The average teacher puts in more out of pocket money than any other profession. Be glad you are not teaching elementary. I read somewhere that they put out on average $800 per year for supplies.

6. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I just stocked up at Staples today. They have great sales (like a bunch of pencils for 1 cent!) I got a big bag of stuff for around $6. Definitely go :)

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2007

You might also want to get hand sanitizer and Chlorox wipes. They are great for wiping down dirty lab tables especially in biology after dissections!

8. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jul 11, 2007

LOL :)

The same with me with Office Depot and Staples

9. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2007

The file box is a good idea, but I did that last year and you may find it gets hard to carry around. They also have ones that are smaller, fabric or plastic (get a fabric one it lasts longer) which you can put into your teacher tote and have a much easier time carrying around.

Like this one at staples, but look around they have nicer more durable ones. Ones with handles. But this gives you the general idea.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...catalogId=10051&productId=99521&cmArea=SEARCH

10. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

Thanks wldywall! I like that much better =o)

11. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2007

Welcome! :D

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

Our school provides all our teacher supplies through the school banker. We just have to ask for scissors or a stapler or whatever and she'll hand it to us.

If we want to purchase class sets or anything for student use (glue, markers), we need to use our department money for that. At my school, each teacher is given around $1,000 for these sorts of purchases. I don't like to use that money on things like glue when I can purchase it for like 20 cents at OfficeMax, so I've been getting that myself and saving my $1,000 for things like videos and materials for special projects.

Be sure to save your receipts! You might need to return some items if the school does provide them to you. Plus, you can get a significant tax break on school supplies for your job--up to $250 I think.

13. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

Wow, $1000?? I would be happy with like.. $200 hehe

I'm donating plasma tomorrow and Sat. so I can buy some of these school supplies while they are on sale but other things I don't want to buy until I have a job and a classroom and I can visually place everything and make a permanent list

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

Oh, we also get a $200 debit card from the district, too! Last year I used it to buy an electric pencil sharpener, a few videos, some books, and oh yeah, a value meal from McDonalds. I totally accidentally handed over the debit card instead of my personal one. I felt like an idiot the next week when I realized it. They just laughed at me and had me cut the district a check for the $5 charge.

15. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Ours is basically raiding the cupboards for what you need :)

16. ebrillblaiddes

ebrillblaiddes Companion

Jul 12, 2007

*yoinks list*

Personally, I'd leave out the gradebook (I heart spreadsheets, they do the tedious averages and things for me) and get a big pack of mixed-color construction paper.

17. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 12, 2007

*Binders for however many different classes I have and a "mock" binder for the students to see if they are missing anything (I plan to have binder checks) and maybe an "I was absent" binder

YOU CAN PUT A STUDENT IN CHARGE OF THE MOCK BINDER. JUST GET IN THE HABIT OF PASSING TWO OF EVERYTHING TO THAT PARTICULAR STUDENT. IT WILL SAVE YOU TIME AND THEY WILL KEEP IT UP BETTER THAN YOU WILL, IF YOU ARE ANYTHING LIKE ME.

:eek: I'm sorry about the caps lock. I just noticed it was on.

18. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 12, 2007

a 3-hole punch or two (one for you, one for students)

19. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 13, 2007

A good three hole punch! For me that means an electric one, I cannot stand the other ones.

20. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 14, 2007

I do not know if it is an "every year" thing, but at the beginning of last school year, staples had this "We love teachers" type deal, where you went in, signed your name on a sheet, al;ong with the school where you teach, and they gave me a great canvas tote full of really cool supplies! Check into it, because I LOVED the erasers they provided. I am allergic to latex, and the white plastic erasers are latex free...I digress, good luck on your first year, this will be my second as an official teacher. It is A BLAST! I couldn't ask for a better job...a better paycheck? sure, but a better job, never!
    (Bandnerdtx....I have said that very same thing to my students, they t hought I was nuts, but I seriously could live at school supply stores, my husband took the credit card last July...last year was my first teaching year...he didn't understand how I could possibly need so many pens and pencils...:)

21. VA2500

VA2500 Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

An easy way to get pens, pencils, slightly used notebooks, reams of notebook paper. Go to your local high school the day after school lets out. As they clean out the lockers follow behind and pick up the goodies. This is especially handy if you teach in a school where some kids have no money for supplies. My friend and I went to one of the local "rich" high schools. It was kind of like a school supply store at no cost.

We did remove names from notebooks with a black marker and tore out used pages from spiral notebooks. You would be amazed at the number of notebooks that had only one page written on. Anyway we collected enough pens, pencils, paper, spiral notebooks, and three ring binders to supply several classrooms in addition to our own.

Be sure to bring donuts for the custodial staff as they are the ones opening the lockers.

VA

22. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 15, 2007

I searched but can't find alice's sticker worthy idea. Link please ... ?

23. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

I did this the day my seventh graders cleaned out their lockers. We had boxes out to donate supplies, but the boxes were overflowing with stuff. I got enough filler paper to have in my room, probably 60 packs of index cards, markers, at least 100 glue sticks, pocket folders, TONS of post-it notes, and a class set of plastic rulers. I think it is sad what these kids were tossing. I live/teach in a community where for many of the kids, money is no object. I decided that I could use these supplies and save myself (and the school district) some money.