My sub yelled at my students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mrachelle87, Oct 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 9, 2015

I was absent two days this week. I had a great sub the first day. She followed my lesson plans to the T and texted me throughout the day to keep me up on what was happening. The second day was a mess. That sub did not do everything I left. What was done, was awful. The work was messy, half done, and completely wrong. The sub left a not that stated, "I had to yell at them several times to get them quiet." Sub A left a note stating that they were the best behaved class she had ever subbed for. Sub B left a note that my class was rude and loud.

Sub A left my room organized and my peer who prepared my room for day two said that the desk was super neat. She just stacked everything up and moved it off the desk. This morning my desk was a mess, my computer was on, there was food on and under my desk, and the work was not checked or the lesson plans not followed. Sub A left a note about me having the best lesson plans ever. Sub B told one of the teachers that my lesson plans were horrible. I use a template that I designed four years ago. Most subs have stated it was the most complete lesson plans they have used.

I am so upset that I want to share the note where she wrote that she yelled at my kids and the examples of the work each sub did...but, I would hate to eliminate a sub that might have hope.

3. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Oct 9, 2015

Doesn't really sound like this one has hope, IMO.

Linguist92021 likes this.
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2015

I agree with Mike.

Must be the week for bad subs. The sub for our French teacher today went out for coffee at recess and came back 15 minutes late--with no apology to the teacher whose class was waiting for her. I "took back" my class from her 10 minutes early so that I take them to a special event. She was late for her next class and blamed it on me--said I had been late coming back to take over my class! There's more, but she'll never be back in our building again.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 9, 2015

Sometimes, people can only learn from their mistakes. The lesson learned here may be that if you are a guest teacher, you should treat that classroom like a guest room at your in-laws home. This teacher sounds like she thought she was slumming it in a bad motel. She shouldn't get an invitation to return for another visit.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 9, 2015

Maybe praise Sub A to the powers that be. Silence speaks volumes at times.

Linguist92021 and Amanda like this.
  7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 10, 2015

Ooooo, indeed: if access to subbing is a channel, that's damming with faint praise.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2015

Time for Sub B to either find a new school to work at or a new career. :(

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 10, 2015

I would definitely speak to my secretary & principal (who call in our subs) about both subs. I would praise sub A and let them know she's welcome in my room any time. I would also request to not have sub B back.

10. applecore

applecore Devotee

Oct 10, 2015

Sometimes a sub is a warm body, and if they make it through the day babysitting, awesome! If you get a golden gem of a sub like you did in Sub A, I'd say you got lucky! Keep that one close at hand and on your first call list!

As for the others like Sub B, I'd remove her from the list, or keep her on the "in case of death or dismemberment" list. I'm betting Sub B won't want to return from the sounds of her note.

11. Boba

Boba Companion

Oct 10, 2015

Then don't invite the sub back into your classroom. Chances are, that sub won't want to return to your class anyway. I was a substitute teacher for many years and knew which classes not to go to.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 10, 2015

Sub B told my secretary that the day went "fine" and she "enjoyed" it. Her mother in law is a school employee and so is her mother. I think she will be back, but not in my room.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 11, 2015

I'm glad you have the ability to block individual substitutes from your classroom. It sounds like a poor fit for both of you.

14. history

history Companion

Oct 11, 2015

I am currently a substitute teacher and I can tell you students are no problem for some subs, but a problem with others. Example: I was covering in a high school for a teacher in which I did my student teaching in his school. There was a problem with the you tube video the students were supposed to watch. I let a student make an attempt to fix it, but he could not so I told the students to just listen and write the required 5-7 sentences on the video. I got complaining at the beginning of class and a lot at the end of class, so I had to speak louder ( not yell, but firm) and explain the behavior was not acceptable. Going back to earlier in the class I had to wake 4 student from sleeping and this had to be done three times each until they got the point. Well, at the end of the class I collected the papers and noticed the 4 students that I had to jump on about sleeping wrote out on the paper that I was rude and disrespectful. I recorded what occurred , but it does not change the fact that the students were not telling the truth. I guess if I did not ask the teacher across the way if this would be a problem ( she said just record it and don't worry) the teacher may believe the students. By the way I had to raise my voice in three of the other classes for the students to settle down. I started off low then middle and finally ( not yellying or rude) said in a loud voice this was not acceptable. The bottomline ( besides the mess) what do your students consider yelling?

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 11, 2015

This was the teacher writing in his notes that he needed to yell.

Even then though... I sometimes say I had to yell at my class, but my "yelling" is generally much quieter than my normal teaching voice.

16. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 11, 2015

My children are six years old...there is only 14 of them. I have two children that never talk to anyone...not another child or adult. This is the best class I have ever had. The PE and Music teacher both said that the kids were great. I am very strict. My classes walk to and from all areas of the building like they are in the military. Looking straight ahead, hands to his size, and the same distance between them. Everyone that came in contact with my students that day said that they were very good. I know kids are sometimes awful for subs, but they had a sub in music and she wrote that they were the best class she had all day. I don't believe that they were the problem. Also the PreK aide across the hall stopped me Friday with concern with the way the sub interacted with the kids. She could not explain, she said that she just felt like the sub didn't "like your class."

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2015

Yeah, based on all that I would talk to the office manager (or whoever handles the subs) and ask that the sub not be assigned to my class in the future. Some people just really aren't cut out to be subs.