My stupid mistakes

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by nerdyandlearning, Mar 6, 2020.

1. nerdyandlearning

nerdyandlearning New Member

Mar 6, 2020

So this is my first time posting I really do not have any other friends that substitute that I can talk with about these kinds of things.

I am a semi new sub I have been working at a small local school since September of 2019 and I am constantly being called in. I am often there at least 1-2 times a week minimum. I absolutely love the job, love the kids, they they high five me, and get excited when I teach their class some even stop me in the hallway and ask if I’m teaching their class and if I’m not they get really bummed out.

Today I subbed for a 9th and 10th grade math class, it was pre-algebra and geometry. I passed those classes with flying colors in college I was taking trig before “life” happened and I got busy; plus I honestly love math. For some reason today my brain just did not want to work today I made stupid mistakes, I forgot to rotate the protractor for the lesson in geometry so my answers were way off of her key, the kids were frustrated, the para was no help and made me feel stupid it was a rough hour, but honestly I have survived worst and I shrugged it off.

Then next hour in the pre-algebra class a girl was doing a worksheet and I told her it the answer was “undefined.” It was not until I got home, as I stepped out of my car the answer hit me like a semi truck I realized it was not “undefined” it was m^2 I had given her the wrong answer.

I’m just so terribly embarrassed and honestly upset with myself for preforming horribly today. I never have this much trouble with this kind of stuff. I’m usually on the ball and can answer any kind of questions the kids have. I feel like I let the teacher and the kids down so much today.

3. rpan

rpan Cohort

Mar 6, 2020

It happens sometimes. It’s called being human. Teachers aren’t perfect. If you get a chance, explain to the girl you had a brain fart and give her the correct answer and apologise to the class for the off lesson. I’m not afraid to admit when I don’t know the answer or had a brain fart. I think it makes the kids see you as human and they appreciate it. Trust me it’s not a big deal. There are far worse boo boos to make in the classroom and in life.

4. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Mar 28, 2020

Tomorrow will be a better day. You're doing fine. We all make mistakes.