My students aren't doing their homework!

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by Mrs.Gould, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Sep 14, 2007

:help: Ok, I really love my class this year but the past few days, they have not been doing any of their homework! I keep wondering if I'm giving too much but I really don't think so. This week I gave a math assignment (between 5-12 problems) and a science worksheet (single page) each night. Plus on Monday I gave them a spelling packet with three sheets in it that wasn't due until Friday. I also don't give any homework on Fridays. Is that REALLY too much? I was SOOO frustrated today. I really do need to give homework because we just don't have enough time in the day to do everything. I feel like I'm already behind as it is. I'm trying to think of some consequences for not doing homework. Another teacher has her students stay in during lunch with her, but then I lose my lunch time too! I am very hesitant to start a "reward" system because I feel homework is something that should be done and not something that they should be rewarded for. Any suggestions??? :confused:

3. dreaming_luke

dreaming_luke Rookie

Sep 14, 2007

Homework is a priviledge in my class. If you don't get homework done you lose the priviledge of taking work home. Then all work gets done at school, recess, lunch, etc. Keeping students and parents notified of incomplete assignments is pretty much all your responsibility entails. You've done your job and that is to teach, you can't force a kid to learn. Kids who get all work done I do a Fun Friday at the end of the month and kids without work done, have do not participate, they do their work and get ahead as well.

4. MrsMcD

MrsMcD Rookie

Sep 14, 2007

My kids have a homework chart. If all aspects of their homework are complete each night, they get to color in a square. Once 15 consecutive squares are colored in they get a "Homework Pass" to get out of doing one subject for homework one night. This can't be used when we're working on Science Fair Projects, or for studying for a test, but any other assignments are fair game. This way there is a reward, but it's not a constant one. Some kids will reach 15 a lot sooner than others, but it seems to be working. The kids who haven't colored in many squares are noticing everyone elses and are starting to want that "Homework Pass" too.

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 14, 2007

This is basically how it works in my classroom as well.

6. bigcat

bigcat Rookie

Sep 14, 2007

We are having the same problem with our group of 6th graders. What is it? We even have a Reflection Day...where is you don't get assignments finished you have a day to finish....the other students go outside and compete in games and sports and have fun. Why would you not want to spend a fun day outside with your friends? The homework I give can easily get completed in class and at the end of the day when they have a study hall. Our science teacher does not give homework. Math and Social Studies is not that much...so I just don't get why it can't get completed.
    Okay.....I said my piece:p.....I'm sure just because I tated it here that it's not going to change anything...heehee.

7. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Sep 15, 2007

I would love to do some sort of free day, but I'm not sure how that would go over with the other 6th grade teachers or the school in general. There is just SO MUCH content to teach and I feel so pressured - much more than I have ever felt before. I'm afraid to take a day, or even part of a day to use as a free day. Plus, what would I do with the students who can't participate?

I do like the idea that MrsMcD uses. I just might try that. I think I would rotate giving a homework pass and the option to drop their lowest homework grade, or something to that extent. Maybe even the chance to get a couple bonus points added to a test.

Thanks for all your suggestions! If you have anymore.. keep them coming!

8. bigcat

bigcat Rookie

Sep 17, 2007

I know you may not be able to do this...but let me tell you abut our free day. Actually, it's not a free day intirely. One of our teachers organized this and it has worked well so far. We have what is called a reflection day....where the students who are passing all core subjects and have the required number of AR points participate in team games, athletic events, and individual games plus take a test on what has been covered thus far in their core classes. Each teacher provides 15 questions ( SPI or other state requirements) that is compiled into one grade level multiple choice test that is given at some point in the day. The participating students are grouped into teams and competes in all areas. Points are given for each and of course the team with the highest points wins. The students who are not passing all 4 core classes and don't have their AR points have to stay in and make up any missed assignments, read, do other work to bring up their failing grade. It is not a fun day at all for them. They can't color, draw, mess around or anything but work to bring grades up. It has been really good and the teacher who organized this has worked really hard and has done a wonderful job. I know the 6th grade teachers like it....can't speak for 7th and 8th grades. ;) We are having our next one next Friday...right before Fall break. Wish us pretty weather.:cool:

9. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

I was also trying to get more ideas on homework, reading everyones writing let me know I am not in it alone. I saw on one of the forums about homeworkopoly or something. I thought it was a good idea. Did anyone hear about it or have details about it? I need to see how that will work. I think it is some kind of turning the wheel on fridays for students who did homework the whole week. They have to throw a dice to be move. I t is a great idea, let me know if anyone find it or have read about it somewhere.

10. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

Sep 24, 2007

You can get it all at homeworkopoly.com I believe

11. Teach07

Teach07 Rookie

Sep 26, 2007

I keep a homework chart in my room and check it off when I collect the assignments the next day. We also have tied our grade 6 and 7 "paychecks" system into homework. Students earn money PER class for turning in homework. The teachers and I pass a clipboard and mark who has completed their hopmework. Since I keep a homework chart in my room that is already accurate, I just glance at the chart and then make the same notations on the clipboard- then the other teacher marks if the students completed theirs, etc. We are all responsible for tallying monies for only 1 class (the smallest- our homeroom). This helps w/ turning in work when they know they are "losing money" for not doing their "job"- homework! Hope this helps you out!

12. cdorey13

cdorey13 Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

I am using the Homeworkopoly and they only get to play on Friday IF they have completed all homework assignments for the week. Our entire school provided planners for our students and they must write their assignments in the planners every night. We then just circle in red anything that is missing and it is signed nightly by the parents, or else that is circled also. On Friday they have to open their planner and show me that there is NO RED and they get to roll two dice and move their one turn. Once we established the routine, it actually goes very quickly. I'm with you Mrs. Gould, I don't want to reward everyday. I tell my students it is an expectation.

13. k1m

k1m Rookie

Oct 13, 2007

In my class homework is due every Friday. Often less than half will hand it in. So at random points through the semester I bake a cake or a plate of cookies* and take it in on a Friday and this is only for the kids who hand in their homework. Obviously i don't tell them when i am baking. It works too, since I started doing it I get nearly all the homework every week just in case its cake day.
    Its not a reward for doing it as much as its recognition for the kids who always to the right thing.
    *For those cringing at the unhealthy food, we also do 'munch, crunch and read' where a colleague and I buy a crate of apples and everyone gets to sit outside, eat their apple and read their favourite book.

14. nothermanda

nothermanda Companion

Oct 13, 2007

With my kids, it's all about the instructions and feedback. First, we have to practice the skill in class on the day that I hand out the homework. If I assign homework Monday that requires a skill we learned last Friday, forget it. If I assign work Monday that requires a skill they learned a couple of weeks ago, the parents complain that I'm not helping them enough. Then, after when they turn it in, it goes straight in the gradebook - just a check that yes, they turned it in or no, they didn't. Grades are posted every two weeks, so they don't have too much time to wonder.

If we grade the work in class and link it to some activity, then most of them finish it. However, if I collect it and don't return it for a couple of days (which sometimes happens when I have 93 essays to grade), many of them won't turn in the next 2 or 3 assignments on time, because they decide that it doesn't really matter.

Our kids have about 90 minutes of homework every night. It's a larger assignment given on Monday and due on Friday, although we break it down into daily sections for the less-organized kids.

Students who have no missing assignments get free dress (no uniform) every Friday.

15. niseixtenshi

niseixtenshi Rookie

Oct 13, 2007

If my kids don't do their hw....especially on PE days...they have to walk the blacktop the ENTIRE PE period...while the rest of the class can participate in the class game or free play. (this is what all the 6th grade teachers do at my school). THEY learn FAST.

16. cair

cair Rookie

Nov 13, 2007

Hi All,
    I've done so many of the above techinques to encourage students to do homework... Every year, my team and I decide upon the strategy we plan on using for the year. There are 5, sixth grade homerooms in my building... so, the kids are into doing homework. The children who do not complete assignments are very much around tooooo. So... You will get the kids who do work and those who don't.
    Just do what you feel comfortable with... have fun with it... and the kids will too.
    Have a great day.
    c

17. dreaming_luke

dreaming_luke Rookie

Feb 7, 2008

I am now using Homeworkopoly, but have changed it up a bit. I have my class working in teams of 4's. I give homework on Wed and Fri, so if everyone in their team finishes their homework, the team gets to roll the dice. Also, if everyone on the team decides to do an extra practice work off of our website they get to roll the dice when they hand them in as well. I wasn't sure how this would work, but wow, they are really encouraging one another to do the work and it is working better than I thought it would.

18. Commartsy

Commartsy Companion

Feb 15, 2008

This sounds REALLY cool! Is there something you could email that has the details of how this works?

19. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Feb 16, 2008

If you can't do that with the whole grade, you can at least do that with your class. Every Thursday I have a period that is either CHOICE TIME or WORK FINISHING time. If they have any incomplete assignments or work to finish, they do it then. Everyone wants choice time (which is basically indoor recess) so they will make sure their assignments are done. If not, they sit at the table and work while their friends play games, draw or whatever. I think this is pretty motivating, and a very good use of time in my classroom. If you just have a homeroom, and not a classroom (I'm not sure of your situation) a period a week will still work for this.

Have games, computers and things like that available. My kids also play with k'nex and legos (but they are 3rd and 4th graders.) I'm not sure if 6th graders would admit to playing with legos at school!

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 16, 2008

Nobody said your "free day" can't be standards based. It can be a skills reinforcement day. Math games can be played during math. An observation of a class pet could be done during science with the practice of the scientific method graphic organizer. Following a recipe could be done during Language Arts. "Play Centers" can be set up that are education and very much the stuff you are learning. How many activities they miss could depend on how many assignments they miss. That way students are not penalized for missing one assignment that month. They also aren't completely left out of the learning.

21. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2008

Teachers I know keep kids in at recess when they don't complete their homework........ (One teacher is assigned to stay in the classroom)..........:)

22. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Feb 16, 2008

I'm guessing it's the same kids, say 2-5, which are the chronic non- workers and which every teacher has chased after since k?

One of the strongest motivators in upper grades which answers the question, "Why should I?", is the peer group. RT with Teacher Bonus is an incentive system where the targeted student(s) earn time -- time to engage in a preferred activity (PAT) -- for the whole class. A deal is made with students X,Y,Z in private or public (judgment) which states if X,Y,Z show up with HW tomorrow completed to teacher's standards X,Y,Z will earn whole class 6+ minutes (2' each) added to existing time for PAT. If students don't show there is no penalty. It's reward all the way.

I had a student driving me nuts with no HW. I tried RT-Bonus. That night two students called him to make sure he was completing HW. Another checked his HW on bus in morning. A fourth cornered him on the yard for another check. I made a big deal about student, "Class, (student) has completed his HW and earned the whole class an extra 4 minutes of PAT! Let's give him a big hand!" Instead of being the "goat" student was now class hero.

RT-bonus gets the teacher out of the business of being enforcer and turns it over to the students.

23. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2008

I like that. :) But then, I'm a firm believer in delegating. :D Seriously, that's a great method.

24. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Feb 17, 2008

The best method for eliminating HW from causing daily migraines I found out is don't assign any. I was so green my first year I didn't realize I was supposed to assign HW... and no one told me. :eek: Kicker was the kids seemed to learn more and hate school less. :confused: This may have to do with thread while back (forgot OP) about research in lower grades showing HW had little effect on achievement.

25. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2008

That's funny, because I didn't really assign HW before, I had such low compliance rates. I'd let them do it during game time at school. My principal told me I needed to raise my expectations, and shared research with me that shows HW raises achievement--not by much, but our students are really low so she said anything that helps is better than nothing. She had a good point, because we tend not to ask as much of our students as say, parents and teachers in wealthier areas. I did as she asked and the funny thing is my students are actually trying! There are only about 8 who don't do HW this year. I don't know what the answer is, but I like your method above and I'm going to find a way to put it into practice. :)

26. mardi08

mardi08 Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

Did anyone have any success with Homeworkopoly? If so, what did you do that worked? Did it work for the whole year? Or did they get bored with it?

Thanks!

27. pontiac8411

pontiac8411 Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

I like the homeworkopoly game, but i don't know how to implement it with classes of 23 students. Any suggestions?

28. Chas

Chas Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

I need to find a school that wouldn't tear my head off for even THINKING about doing this... :(

My VP (who is an otherwise great guy) stopped my class from learning/playing chess on the second to last day of school after finals. Personally, since so many students had no idea how to play, and those who did had very little strategy, that it was a great little unit to end the school year

29. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

I agree with this! The most effective homework is to read.

30. cair

cair Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

Homework

Homework reinforces what was accomplished in the classroom. For me, I believe homework should not be busy work.... ex: 2 pages of math from a text or worksheet. :(
    Why not give 4-5 practice work problems or whatever to see if the kids get it?... If a class is reading a novel together, why not have the kids read a chapter or whatever- so the next day you can discuss what was read at home. Don't throw the baby out with the water. Be wise.

31. cair

cair Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

... I really like your idea.
    cair

32. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 26, 2008

Hows this for a sulution?:
    Start having homework quizes. What you do is give like 10 problems with 10-15 (20 at most) mins to complete it. Your quiz would say for example: problem #1 - Go to math homework pg. 22 and tell me the answer to # 4. This is after you have given them the answers to the homework but the trick is they have to write the problem, the steps it took to answer it if any and the answer. They can only have out the paper with the problem, work and answers on it. As long as they have the problem written down, steps to answering it and an answer they have gotten the problem right as far as a homework quiz. You will just correct it for them so they know the corrected answers. This way with the short time to complete the quiz it does not give them time to work out a problem since they should have already completed that. I know it worked great for me in school and I am in a college math class now that my instructor does it!