My students are cheating on online quizzes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AdamnJakesMommy, Oct 16, 2016.

1. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Oct 16, 2016

I just caught a student cheating on her online quiz. A student alerted me and I tried watching the girl, and she would just sit and stare at her screen, I would move and she would instantly start moving her mouse around and typing. I'd go behind her, back to staring at her screen. Finally, I did catch her and checked her history which showed she had cheated the whole quiz. I'm worried that others might be doing it. Our school is really pushing for "implementing technology," which I totally agree with---but it is a gateway to dishonesty. We don't have a way to make our assessments secure (in a secure tunnel), so unless I'm hovering over all 30 kids at exactly the same time, it makes it impossible to ensure all the results were honest depictions of their knowledge. I have tables, not desks, so I can't orient them to where I can monitor all screens at one time. Is there a site that I can use to generate quizzes where the browser is secure?

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 16, 2016

We've been encouraged to go down the same road as you. And our kids cheat badly now, I know it will just get worse. When I've brought this up at meetings, I always get two stock responses "kids are going to cheat no matter what" and "it's your job to watch them better."

AdamnJakesMommy likes this.
  4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 16, 2016

Try putting a couple "trap" questions on the test, with something you'd never expect students your age to know. If they get it right, check their computer history. Either they're doing impressive independent studying, or they're cheating. That depends on whether or not your test system would allow you to put on a question which isn't actually scored though.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 16, 2016

I am 1:1 chrome books, and have never had an issue with cheating. The wireless router is hung from the ceiling. The first day of school, I point it out and have a long talk with them telling them every single thing done on the computers is tracked by that box and monitored by central office. I tell them if they go anywhere online they aren't supposed to, the technology department immediately calls the principal and tells him the exact room number and log in used. All of our students are assigned emails and required to log in the computers using their own email.

Additionally, I tell them I can and will check histories at any point. Nothing they do electronically is private. If you check their history and discover cheating, they get a zero.

MrsC, Backroads and Peregrin5 like this.
  6. ladybugteacher

ladybugteacher Companion

Oct 16, 2016

They'll just move their cheating onto their personal cell phones. Kids cheat.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 16, 2016

Kids cheat anyway. I've had kids cheat on paper tests by copying down answers and sharing them with others when the period was over, and obvious peering over their partners shoulders.

I give online quizzes, but they're very short and not worth many points. Mostly for a check for understanding. If a kid cheats on it, they're only hurting themselves. In addition, our quizzes are very quick and dirty (5 questions). It would take them a long time to google an answer and get back to the quiz. It would be very obvious.

Online quizzes usually have options to randomize the questions and answers so kids can't cheat off of each other. Some shut off if they move off of the quiz (for example to switch tabs to google answers). But honestly the best thing to do is to give them questions that are impossible to cheat with. For instance, identifying the independent variable in a given experiment, measuring to the appropriate significant figure, analyzing a graph, etc. Even if it's multiple choice, it's not something that's going to be found with a quick google search.

8. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Oct 17, 2016

I have younger kids, 4th grade, so I don't think they could cheat online very well. But I use juno (attached to jupitergrades), it has an option that locks down their browser while they are taking the test so they cannot go on any other sites etc.

9. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Oct 17, 2016

The main way students cheat.

First Period a Smartie does the work/test/paper, next a Dummie uses cellphone to take a picture of the finished paper.

Now the Dummie sends it Snap Chat to all the students in the school.

The Snap Chat email self destructs or deletes itself within 24 hours.

All the other periods and after school for homework all the students use the answers that the Smartie did on the paper.

THAT is why they will 100 percent all miss the same question or the answers will be are phrased the very same way.

And That is the way it is

:eek:

10. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Oct 17, 2016

Quizlet. lol Gotta love it..

11. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 17, 2016

We all have this problem. Even my adorable first graders are starting this. However, they are way too obvious. One will loudly whisper an answer to his friend across the room and will be shocked when I tell him to not give out answers.

Pen4Pencil likes this.