my student spit on another student

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by missy21, Mar 3, 2010.

1. missy21

missy21 Rookie

Mar 3, 2010

I teach Pre-K and while I was out making copies and my assistant was in the room; one of my students spit on another child. My assistant was helping clean up after snacktime and did not see this. I walked in and the girl tells me what happened. I asked the other student why he spit on her and he did not reply. I have never had a problem with this student and I dont know why he would do this. So, I talked to him and gave him a sad face. Later I talked to his mother and she told me she would talk to him. But later the father of the child who had been spat on called me extremely upset. Now my question is how do you handle a situation like this? I told him that I had spoken to the other student's mother and that this would never happen again, but that was just not enough. He was furious! I feel so bad! Please help me out. I plan on sending a note tomorrow apologizing.

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 3, 2010

I had this happen--once. A PSer spit on me. I took her to the sink and told her to spit. She was able to spit in the sink as much as she wanted, and I kept her there to spit a bit longer. She never spit again.

Yes, it is sad that the child who got spit on was a victum. What does his father want you to do? I would not apologize for the behavior of another child. Sometimes a parent just wants to be reassured that this will not happen, that you are on top of the child, and his child is safe. This is a good time to listen and let the parent vent, and give him lots of support to alieviate any fears. Good luck.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 3, 2010

Was there evidence of it? (I think I watch too much CSI). I ask because sometimes the kids will say someone spit on them when it was completely innocent-like they burst out laughing or just spit a little when talking.

I'm not understanding why the father was so upset. I could understand if he bit her or something, but it doesn't sound like an aggressive situation, from what you've told us. I would leave it at "I reported the behavior to the parent". I'd drop an e-mail to my admin about the situation and tell this father he can address his concerns to them. What are you supposed to do?

5. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Mar 3, 2010

You have already addressed the issue and you expect for this to never happen again. There is nothing left for you to do, if he is still unhappy then he is likely to remain that way until he gets over it on his own. You should not (IMO) send an apology note home. That is implying that you were at fault. It could have just as easily happened while you were in the room. Kids that age act in very unpredictable ways from time to time.

Good luck

6. ginac

ginac Rookie

Mar 3, 2010

agree

You addressed the problem and told the parent, there is nothing else to be done. I know it is difficult when a parent is on you like that, but just keep telling yourself you did the right thing and some people will not be pleased no matter what you do. I also agree with the comment about "are you sure it was a spit?" I have had older students who laughed or spittal game out of their mouth while talking.

7. missy21

missy21 Rookie

Mar 3, 2010

Thank you all for your replies. I feel better and know I did the right thing. I will still talk to both students and find out exactly what happened. Thanks again!

8. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Mar 5, 2010

Agree! I remember my first year teaching kindergarten, a kid said someone spit on them and I'm picturing a full spit! Then I asked the "spitter" what happened and the kid said I was just talking. So now anytime someone says that I automatically ask, "Were they talking or laughing?" Then I say, "those things happen!" and shrug my shoulders!:) I have yet to have someone "purposely spit"...