My student hit by Bus Attendant

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Proud2BATeacher, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 13, 2009

One week before Christmas break 2 students in different classes reported that the bus attendant hit one of my students' in the face. This student is deaf, knows very few signs and can say about 10 recognizable words. The bus attendant and bus driver were questioned by the school and the bus attendant admitted to hitting the student on the 'hand'. We phoned the bus company and they told us that she will be questioned and either fired or moved to another bus. Well...she is still there:eek:hmy:. We phoned the bus company yesterday and they told us that they were short bus attendants and she will not be moved nor fired (all of the students on the bus have a severe emotional/behaviorial diagnosis):mad:. Needless to say I am p*ssed, but what else can I do? The parents do know everything....:help:

3. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jan 13, 2009

The parents should call the police department ASAP and file assault charges against the driver. They should also contact a good attorney.

4. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Jan 13, 2009

I agree. Striking a disabled child is completely out of line, no matter what the circumstances.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 13, 2009

I mentioned that we should phone the police! The parents are new to the country and I think are looking to us to handle it, but I think I will get one of the "higher ups" to phone them to let them know that they could call the police.

6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2009

Perhaps this is controversial, but could the school call the police?

If it is a crime, are the schools not obligated to report crimes committed while the children are under their care (or agent's care)?

7. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Jan 14, 2009

Was there a video camera in the bus? That would/could help solve all the problems.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 14, 2009

I don't know??? I am quite shocked (or maybe not too shocked) that my principal is not doing anything about this. Should we phone the union or the school board to ask? You have to give your employee number to the school board whenever you talk to them and my principal already has it in for me, so I am scared to do it myself...

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 14, 2009

No video camera. The bus company is awful...

10. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jan 14, 2009

Call your nearest television station and newspaper. You can report this to them anonymously (call from a pay phone).

They are great for making people get off their butts to do something -- and principals do not want to see their schools in the news.

11. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jan 14, 2009

Wonder what else she does or has done when no one is looking. That's horrible.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 14, 2009

I was going to say exactly what Missy did - call the news. How will that company look with that story? And what if it happens again or something more serious, wouldn't your school be liable because they knew she was a risk and still let her near the kids? Anyone who would react to any child like that shouldn't have a career with children - low on bus attendants or not.

13. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

That's a shame. Here's another bus story for you. I felt bad this morning because I accidentally ran over a child's dog and killed it right in their lane. The mother had let the dog out of the house to say goodbye to her children, and I assumed the dog would be going back to the house after he ran along with the kids.

He didn't, and to my complete and utter shock, I saw a black lump in my rearview mirror after pulling away. I stopped the bus, got off and talked to the boy's mother and told her I was so sorry. She told me it was her fault and not to worry about it, but I still felt sick the rest of the day. I killed a dog! That's awful.