My student brought a MOUSE to school!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Newto3rd, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Nov 12, 2009

Oh yes, folks a MOUSE! And I do NOT mean a cute little WHITE mouse like you see on TV and buy at the pet store! Out ran a gray FIELD MOUSE from her backpack!!! AHHH!! And when did it come out? At the END of the day! Right before dismissal!! It was in her backpack/locker all day. And it ran out while buses were being called. She purposely brought that filthy rodent!! UH!! So we had a chat about diseases and cleanliness and had a chat with mom. I was so stunned that I didn't even know how to handle it! Someone finally chased it out a back door. So it went safely back to nature. Apparently, they have a mouse problem so they're taking special care now!

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 12, 2009

I'm sorry but that's just hilarious! You should write a story about it and print it up for all the kids.

4. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2009

Are you sure she did it on purpose? :unsure:Maybe it got into her backpack @ home, if they're having a mouse problem.
    Two things I can't stand; snakes & mice. YUCK!
    Rebel1

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 13, 2009

OH MY GOSH! I would have died, I mean really just right there on the floor in front of the class!

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 13, 2009

My youngest son almost brought our two pet rats to school last year. My husband became suspicious of his backpack so he checked it. Out came the rats.

Last week a mouse came into my room (from outside). I tried to catch it. I can't. My aide freaked out. So I lost an entire day of instruction while the kids helped me try to catch it. They couldn't focus on it so I had easier more fun activities that day so I could at least engage them in some educational activities. Then the next day I warned my aide that I was going to tell my class that the mouse was our friend and I don't want to scare the poor mouse by chasing it all day. I told her I couldn't waste another day on the mouse. So for the rest of the week, we had mouse sightings. The kids would tell me to close the door so the mouse can't escape to other rooms. I reported the problem several times. Nothing has been done about it. I haven't seen the mouse in 2 days though so I'm not sure what to think. I had to take all my snacks home because he was eating through the plastic. On a side note though, we named our mouse Speedy and we wrote a class story about it.

7. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Nov 13, 2009

In our school, the janitors put down glue boards for the mice. We keep our snacks in a closed plastic container to keep the mice out.

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 13, 2009

At one of my schools last year, there was a bit of a competition as to who could kill the most mice.

I think the principal won.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2009

I agree! One of our grade 4 boys brought a frog about a month ago and kept it in his pocket most of the day.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 13, 2009

I never report when mice are in my room because I hate to think about the poor little things being killed. I'm not sure how humanely they always do that.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 13, 2009

To be fair to my poor mouse, I did try to catch it for several days so I could release it myself. He won't let himself be caught. We have sightings in several parts of the building and they are causing damage. It is a brand new building (literally the first year) and they are eating the rubber under doors, etc.

12. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Nov 13, 2009

I hate the way they put out sticky traps. When the animal steps on it, their feet get stuck and they can't move. They just die a slow death. Very cruel.

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 13, 2009

All I can think of is...
    [​IMG]

I hope no one brings a mouse to my room... I'm fighting stray ones now... Gives me the heebee geebeez thinking about it now! Ewwwwwww!! I found their (thank goodness EMPTY) nest in some quilt batting I had in my cabinet... ewwwww My skin is crawling thinking about all this... LOL

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2009

It is a rather funny story!

But oh how I hate glue boards! At my previous job, the custodians also used glue boards in the cafeteria. One day I noticed a poor little mouse trapped and I tried to free it but could not. I cried. I hate them, hate them, hate them.

15. fantasticfirst

fantasticfirst Rookie

Nov 13, 2009

A fellow teacher opened her classroom door today to a horrible stench. She searched high and low for the cause of the odor and found nothing. We had parent teacher conferences this morning, so she had to sit with parents in a stinky room. Around 10 she went to get something out of her closet and found a dead baby mouse. The mice rule the school right now.
    This same teacher had a student bring a snake to school a few years ago. The student found the snake "frozen" on the way to school. The snake stayed in his backpack all morning. I'm not sure how the teacher discovered the unfrozen snake slithering around in the backpack, but it was not a happy afternoon.

16. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 14, 2009

Better get a snake! haha

17. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Nov 14, 2009

WE have a problem with mice running wild in our school. They are not cute and leave their droppings behind . I rather think the mouse might have crawled into the boy's backpack without his knowledge or else he would not have waited so long to show it. (As inflated as the test scores are in NYC,I get the felling if we test the mice they would do very well on the state exams.)

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 14, 2009

I had a student who brought his pet turtle to school. He had picked up on the side of the road the day before. About an hour into the day, I noticed an odor but couldn't pinpoint it. Then I finally went to go check out the turtle. It hadn't moved. The turtle was dead and smelled horrible. I had to ask the little guy if he had ever seen his turtle move and he hadn't. I had to put the turtle outside for the rest of the day. It took a week and lots of cleaning and air freshener to get rid of the dead turtle smell. Ewwwww.

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 14, 2009

Eew! I am petrified of mice!

We had a student bring a dead animal to school one day in their backpack. I can't remember what it was, but a kid tattled so the teacher found out.

20. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 16, 2009

:lol: :haha: :lol:

21. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 16, 2009

bahahaha I was thinking before seeing your post that the story sounded like a children's book. Duh I have read that one to many a kinder/1st class. I love that book series btw. That makes me NEVER wanna open a students backpack again!! I wonder was it a clean family with just a mouse problem? Or was it a family who is so dirty/nasty home that you would expect rodents/insects to be around? If its 2nd case how sad for that child. I have the hebby jebbies(sp?) right now just thinking about that and the snake story omg I would have died from any and all the above the turtle now would have just gaged me from the smell.

22. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Nov 16, 2009

teacherintexas, I had a similar experience awhile back. Near the end of the day, one of my little boys informed me that his older brother had a turtle in his backpack. I get on the intercom to call the office to alert the brother's teacher, when my little boy says-'Don't worry, it's already dead". Ewwwwww.

23. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Nov 16, 2009

A few years ago I was teaching at an inner city school. I sent the kids out to the lockers to pack up their things. All of a sudden I heard a huge commotion. One of the boys had cockroaches crawling out of his bag! They were crawling everywhere and kept falling out of his bag onto the floor.

I would much rather have had a mouse.

24. fantasticfirst

fantasticfirst Rookie

Nov 16, 2009

I hate when the roaches start crawling out of the woodwork, and the backpacks. We have to be careful when we open doors because the roaches tend to fall from the top of the doors.

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 17, 2009

As a former mouse Mama, I have to say, that is really funny. I mean, I know at the time it wasn't. If mice are something you really are afraid of, I know it was rough (for me it's roaches. I have a bounty on them, if they kill them and get rid of the bodies without me seeing them, they are rewarded well!) One of my co-workers at my old school was deathly afraid of mice. It was an old building and we were overrun once with them. It was nothing to see a family go strolling across the floor several times a day. She bought those electric things that you put in the outlet and supposedly they keep critters away. Well, she reached in her closet to get a box of index cards, of course there was a mouse in there. She threw the box and screamed as she climbed on her desk. We got her settled down, and everything under control, then one of the kids said very solemnly, "Gee, Mrs. R, Mama got really mad at Daddy when he said those words that you did!" She didn't appreciate our laughter at all! lol

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 17, 2009

The one I have in my room is still in my room. I don't mind have a single mouse around for a bit. I'm not afraid of them. Two weeks is getting a little much though because I'm finding droppings on my desk and my room smells. I have no food in it or anything that could cause the smell so it has to be coming from the mouse. That's all I can think of.

I hate roaches too and would freak at a backpack full but the thing I'm afraid of is snakes.

27. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 18, 2009

My fear is all things snakes,roaches, mice, anything that should not/could not be a pet. Roaches are my worst fear though. I literly act like a baby if I see one. Omg I think I need some councling for it hahaha j/k.