My Space/Face Book Privacy

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TampaTeacher, Feb 28, 2008.

1. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Feb 28, 2008

Does anyone out there have pages on these sites? Friends keep telling me how great they are for helping you get in touch with long-lost friends. I've searched the sites and have seen folks I'd love to reconnect with, but you can't unless you have a page on the site.

I see that you can make your page private. It's not that I'm going to post anything scandalous about myself on the sites - but I still wouldn't want strangers, my students or their parents looking at it.

So my question is - how private is "private"? Does it really keep strangers out if you designate your page as such?

If not, I just don't think it's worth the trouble. Any thoughts?

3. TeachUSWrite

TeachUSWrite Rookie

Feb 28, 2008

I actually use Myspace to keep in touch with my students. Many schools frown upon it because they claim that predators are luring through the dark. I have nothing to hide. Sometimes a less formal environnment will allow a kid to open up more in class. I also try to post empowering messages for them to read.

4. Amers

Amers Cohort

Feb 28, 2008

I have pages on both sites. My MySpace site is set to private. When you search for me, the only thing that pops up is my profile picture and name. You can't go any further unless I approve you as my friend.

As for Facebook, anyone in my network (St. Louis) can see my page. However, any pictures I have posted are private. The only people they are visible to are people I have approved as my friends.

I enjoy keeping up with friends on these pages, and I wouldn't give them up. I keep everything private, and I think I am entitled to having a personal life outside of school. :2cents:

5. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Feb 28, 2008

That's what I was thinking, too. I just wanted to make sure the kids wouldn't be snooping around in that personal life. :cool: You never know what college memories a friend might post. Not that I was an adult film star or anything - but some drunken tales or controversial topics might come up. Better safe than sorry. :whistle:

Thanks for the advice.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 28, 2008

When you set it to private your name (what you type in), location, and the picture you use will come up. Nothing else is available unless you approve a person to see it. My concern is always with what a friend might post and a student/parent/colleague may read.

7. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Feb 28, 2008

Exactly! So, if I designate my page as private, nobody can see that stuff, either - right?

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2008

I have a myspace page that is set to private.

Tasha, I have had a couple of friends post comments that I would be embarrassed if a parent/student saw it so I deleted it. Though my page is set to private, you can never be too careful.

9. Amers

Amers Cohort

Feb 28, 2008

On MySpace, there is an option to approve any comments before they appear on your page.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 28, 2008

Yes, if it is private no one else can see any comments or know what your friends wrote. (I delete things that are too far out of mu comfort zone too)

11. iSaint

iSaint Rookie

Feb 29, 2008

I have Facebook, and I'm 45 years old. I don't add my students as friends, and I'm not in their network. I do track my 14 year old daughter's activity. Also, I was a youth minister for many years so I keep up with friends that way.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 29, 2008

Being that I just came from college, I have both myspace and facebook. Both have been edited to be private and not include any really bad comments on them.

I heard recently on BBC News that Facebook applications (all those games and such) collect your information. They actually ask you before you put on a new application if they can access your information--- and you don't have a choice about it if you use the application. So I would suggest that people be aware of what they're putting on their Facebook. Nobody is sure what people are using the info for, so just be careful.

13. kburen

kburen Cohort

Feb 29, 2008

My myspace is private, i use it to keep up with high school and college friends and family that's far away. I also have a facebook but it's for my college and only viewable to Longwood Univ. students/alum.

14. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Feb 29, 2008

I just went and changed it to private... and someone sent me something that I wouldn't want a kid to see (a photo of something strange) so good points are made about keeping it private.

There is nothing in my profile I would care if parents read. In fact, maybe it would help them buy me presents that are my style... (not that I can really complain about getting presents anyway, but I do get a lot of mugs with apples and things on them.)

15. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Feb 29, 2008

I have both myspace and facebook pages. I have both set to private. All someone can see if they search me is my name and picture. I also tried to take off any risque college photos I might have had up in case someone found me. I kept up some pictures of me out with a drink in my hand, but I'm 23, I'm allowed to drink.

16. kburen

kburen Cohort

Feb 29, 2008

I don't keep anything on my page that is......inappropriate. Just the thought of students or parents reading up on me...well....doesn't please me. My first year teaching one of the 5th graders (wasn't my student) came up to me on the playground and said "My mom found you on myspace!" and it really rubbed me wrong. I set it to private after that..When I kept up with my blog I had some private things in there. Not that were unappropriate for students or parents, but details about my health or friends and family that isn't something that I want to share with them. *shrug* Haven't had any problems.

17. DannyC09

DannyC09 Rookie

Feb 29, 2008

So they can't find you...

If anyone is concerned about people finding you (bosses, students, etc.), there is a way to still have a Myspace and have noone find you.

When you sign-up, do not enter your real last name and enter another name or random letters. For example, when I signed up, I entered my name as Daniel XYZ. So if people were to search for me on Myspace, they couldn't if they entered Daniel C{real last name}.

For those who have signed up, but would that extra security measure, simply go to "edit profile" --> "name --> and change your last name.

I do not recommend doing this if your Myspace privacy settings require people to enter your last name as a requirement of friendship.As they wouldn't be able to become your friend.

Another word of caution-- DO NOT POST COMPLETE NAMES ON YOUR MYSPACE! Like any website, your myspace IS searchable by Google, Yahoo, Ask, and others.... if you don't want people to find your name, don't include it on your profile.

As a current student, I love Myspace! It has saved me many a time when I forgot my assignment planner in my locker and didn't know what math probelms to do...

Lastly, the best advice I got for using Myspace and deciding on what you should put on your profile... What would your mom/grandma/boss/priest/minister/etc. think of the information that was posted? A teacher in a Catholic school not too far away from here got fired because his boss (a priest) found his Myspace which listed that he was homosexual, although with several graphic pictures... which was in violation of the school's "morality contact." So don't deluge your deepest personnal secrets that you wouldn't want your boss to know!

18. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Feb 29, 2008

I do have both a Facebook and a Myspace. Both have my initials instead of my last name and are private. So nobody will find me if they search and if they do, they can't see it.

Our school district told us it is ok to keep our Myspaces, and we can even keep them public if we want, but we have to present ourselves as professional or at least not alcoholic partiers.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 29, 2008

I have both, but I don't have much on Facebook yet since I'm still learning about it.

I'm an old pro with MySpace, though. I don't have my page set to private either, since I want people to be able to contact me if they wish. With that said, I do keep a lot private on my site. I have all my blogs, videos, and photos on "friends only". All of my comments have to be approved before I allow them to post. I don't have any students or parents on my friends list . . . except a parent or two who were friends before I ever knew them in "teacher" capacity. My profile photo is an avatar, not a real photo. I don't have my real name anywhere on my site, although I do have my real name listed in my profile so people CAN find me.

20. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 1, 2008

BioAngel, you are so right! Those Facebook applications can be very dangerous. My computer was infected with a nasty little virus from one of them. I had to wipe out everything. :unsure: Now my DH, an IT geek, wont let me put any applications on! :rolleyes:

21. oldandrew

oldandrew Rookie

Mar 1, 2008

I use facebook a lot. I have it set to private so nobody I don't know can read my page. There is also a "limited profile" profile feature which can be used to keep just some of your profile private. In my case my blog entries (which are written anonymously) aren't available to people I've worked with.

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2008

I have a myspace and its private. I used to allow students as friends when I first got it, but it was too much of a pain to monitor what my friends were posting on my site, and sometimes what THEY were posting on my site. I had a kid leave a picture comment about how sexy I looked in the picture and that was the last straw, so I deleted them all. I also didn't want to be responsible for what I saw in THEIR pictures - drinking, sexual behavior, etc, or lying on their profile about their age - I felt compelled to call parents, but I really didn't want the responsibility, especially when my Myspace was supposed to be something fun. So I deleted them all.

Now, sometimes my students do find me, but all they can see is my default picture and name, location. I deny their friend requests. I do, however, allow former students that have graduated to add me, and its a nice way to stay in touch with them and hear their success stories after graduation.