My son's reading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 3Sons, Oct 28, 2008.

1. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2008

My son forgot his book for his evening reading tonight, when my wife was bringing the kids around to their various activities.

So, he's going to have a slightly unusual entry on his reading log for homework this week:

2002 Toyota Sienna Owner's Manual:haha:

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Oct 28, 2008

:rofl::toofunny::rofl::toofunny:

4. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Oct 28, 2008

I give you credit though for being responsible enough to even add an entry each night. I have many parents that will not fill it out even if they are teachers themselves. Way to go!

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 28, 2008

It's never too early to start teaching proper car maitanence :lol:

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 28, 2008

Very good, 3Sons.

When my older daughter was still in elementary school, I learned that her father was reading her Bored of the Rings as a bedtime story. I was scandalized: the book is a 1960s parody of Lord of the Rings, and while it's quite funny (one character is Arrowroot, son of Arrowshirt, and he's characterized as "a good egg, but ot-nay oo-tay ight-bray, if you get my drift", placenames include Fordor, Twodor, and Minas Troney, and the evil from the depths of the dwarves' mines is the Ballhog ("dribble, dribble, shoot"), there are enough crude jokes about body functions and sex to qualify it as Exhibit A for Sophomoric Humor. This was, as I saw it, just not the sort of thing one ought to be foisting off on an impressionable young girl, and I fulminated to that effect for years.

Come to find out from her, just a few weeks ago, that the reason that he read her that book is that she wouldn't let him not: she'd heard some of the cleaner bits quoted, and wanted to know what this book was that people kept quoting so much.

7. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Oct 29, 2008

Oh my gosh, that's too funny!!! Good for you for sticking to that assignment!!!!!

8. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

That is great! Maybe that is something he would like to work with when he grows up!

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 29, 2008

At least he's reading! I tell my students I don't care what they read for their reading logs as long as they read!!! :)

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 29, 2008

I love it! I always tell my students' parents that I don't care if the child reads the cereal box, as long as they are reading.

I think your child either loved it (is mechanically inclined) or will NEVER forget his reading book again! LOL

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 29, 2008

Hey, I'd be happy as a teacher to have a responsible parent/kid who reads at home. I'd be cracking up pretty majorly- but it's definitely acceptable. :woot:

12. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2008

He is actually quite mechanically inclined, so he enjoyed it. As for eventual future career, he's wanted to be a doctor since he was 3, but I could definitely see him doing something with cars as well.

My coworkers tell me I'm an evil, cruel parent. Of course, those are the same coworkers who thought I was "abusing" my child for not buying him a DS, so I don't take their child-rearing advice that seriously.