My son in the room next door-update

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tiffharmon2001, Sep 3, 2009.

1. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Sep 3, 2009

Okay, I'm going to try to condense this, but there's a lot that's been going on. I have't posted any updates the last few days because things have gotten really busy around my house trying to take care of back to school meetings, etc for all four kids.

After all the craziness of my after school meeting with the psychologist on Friday, I was pretty upset. Who tells a parent after seven days of school that they think their child should go to the DD class? I fought ALL YEAR for a child to be assessed for DD last year and nothing was ever done (the psyhology intern observed him for 5 minutes one day while we were watching a video for inside recess). Plus, he had had a really great day on Friday.

So, I spent the weekend reading everyone's comments here and doing some online research and talking to some other people to get their opinions. I had decided that if they were going to push the DD class, then I was NOT going to consent to the testing (even though it would mean that he could not receive speech services this year-apparently it's a requirement that any child under 5 who is referred for speech also be given a developmental assessment??). We had a "staffing" meeting scheduled for after school on Monday.

Sunday night, my son didn't sleep well. He went to be around 9 and was up from 11-1, then from 4-5, and was back up again at 6:30. He was really restless and just tossed and turned. My husband decided to keep him home on Monday since we knew he would be tired rather than setting him up for having a bad day at school. He stayed awake until about noon, then took a 5 hour nap! Then went back to bed around 8:30 and slept until around 6 in the moring.

Monday morning, I went in a talked to his teacher. She said she hadn't been told anything about DD and that she didn't think he was delayed. She said she felt that he needed more time. The assistant in the class said that she didn't understand why they were pushing it so soon-she's the one who's having to deal with him and she's not ready to give up on him, so why should they. His teacher did suggest, though, letting them do the assessment and then having him receive services in OUR SCHOOL if he qualified.

At the meeting on Monday, they actually didn't bring up moving him to another school or the DD class or anything. We talked about his behavior chart and how it was going. We talked about the worst part of his day being gettig him into the classroom. The principal suggested that we give him a "job" to do to distract him in the morning. Something that he would have to take somewhere and then give back to his teacher. We decided to have him take a folder to one of the first grade teachers to sign and the return it to his classroom. My door is shut when he comes back and hers is open to help encourage him to go into his own class. We also talked about me making sure to NOT give him attention for his behavior and let the teachers deal with it. I agreed to do that as much as I can.

Tuesday, he didn't want anything to do with that "job", but they talked him into doing it eventually. He did pretty well Tuesday abd got most of his stamps on his behavior chart.

We met with the psychologist who is doing all of the evaluation for ADHD meds on Tuesday afternoon. It was the first time that he had met her and he showed his true colors while we were there. We have another appointment on next Tuesday, so hopefully we will get some news then.

Wednesday, he was really excited to go do his job. He didn't even try to come into my room. He had an EXCELLENT day and got all of his stamps! We made a super big deal about it and showed it to everyone we saw.

This morning, he didn't really want to go to his class, but he finally decided to go on his own so he could do his job. Unfortunately, the teacher he was going to wasn't in her room when he got there, so he got mad and came to my class for me to sign in it. He didn't want to leave. Finally, his TA came and got him and told him the teacher was back in her room, so they went together to do his job. After that, he had a pretty good day at school. He got 10/14 stamps. But, he had a HUGE meltdown after school because his teacher woke him up from his nap. I have seen him throw some tantrums, but NEVER like that. He was totally out of control. I finally had to sit down in my chair with him and move everything out of his reach and just hold his arms and legs down so he couldn't hit or kick me. It lasted nearly 30 minutes straight of him screaming. I can usually talk him down, but not today. Finally, he said, "hold me right mama." I turned him around and he put his head on my shoulder and just sobbed-not angry screaming anymore, just a little boy crying...broke my heart.

Anyway, he was supposed to go to gymnastics tonight, but since he had such a hard afternoon, my husband came and took him home. I hate for him to miss it because he loves to go, but I don't think it would have gone well.

So, we haven't "fixed" everything, but things are getting better. Thank you all for asking about him and for all of your ideas. I know that he is capable of being here at school with me, it's just going to take time for us all to adjust.

3. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 3, 2009

It's great to hear that he's doing better, and that the school is being supportive of you. I hope that it continues to be positive, and that the psychologist can help you out!

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 3, 2009

All professions get their perks, teachers' kids should get a few perks too. I hope he continues to do well, and when he's 13 you'll laugh about how he behaved when he was a little boy.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 3, 2009

An evaluation wouldn't hurt.

They'd perform an educational and a psych eval most likely to determine if the child should get an IEP, but being placed in another classroom is not necessary for remediation.

If you like, I could send you a link to a forum where you can learn about special education law.

6. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Sep 3, 2009

That would be helpful. Thanks!

7. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Sep 3, 2009

Both of my girls had problems going to preschool. My oldest cried big time every day for 2 years of preschool. It was really difficult to deal with, to put it mildly. My other DD was fine the first year of preschool, then began to have meltdowns her 2nd year. I finally took her out of preschool and found a less academic, shorter day program. Back then, I was a stay at home mom so they had NO chance to run into me at school. I am sure that would have made it worse. Any way, I feel your pain. I never figured out what made them both that way, or why they had such big separation issues. It bothered me that something that was so easy for everyone else was so hard for them. Anyway, I feel your pain. Sundays nights were the worst in my house. Just hang in there. They both went on to do great in school, graduate and go off to college (and yes, they did live on campus, too!). This too shall pass. Just don't let anyone push you into something you know is not right for your child.

8. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Sep 3, 2009

I hope that things continue to get better and I'm glad that the teacher and TA are not giving up on him the way some others were. Good luck

9. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Sep 4, 2009

The TA in his class came over the other day and had a similar story and advice. It's nice to hear that this won't last forever.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 4, 2009

Apparently back in the day, my husband cried every day of kindergarten. The whole year. Cried almost non-stop. I can't imagine that was pleasant for his teacher.

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2009

When I was three I had problems with not wanting to go to pre-school; one day when my dad brought me I even made him stay the whole time with me. In January my parents pulled me out, then two years later in kindergarten I never wanted to leave. One day an easel fell on my head and I didn't want to go to the nurse because I was afraid that she might make me go home. Hopefully, this stage in your son's life will pass just like it did for me.

12. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 4, 2009

Sent you the link