My situation...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacher112, Jul 9, 2009.

  1. teacher112

    teacher112 Companion

    Joined:
    May 28, 2009
    Messages:
    176
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 9, 2009

    Sooo some of you may know that I am waiting to hear about a job in District A. I went through 3 rounds of interviews and I am in the final 2. I "should" hear tomorrow if I got it or not. The district is pretty good.. I am not in love with the school and the pay is average. BUT it is a permanent, full time teaching job, and I just graduated.

    Now.... I did my student teaching in AMAZING school district B in an AMAZING school. It is a DREAM school. A few hours ago the principal called me to come in for a long term sub interview TOMORROW. Of course I said yes. They have a couple LTS positions but nothing permanent for next school year. One LTS is full-year, the other is half-year. I am interviewing for the full year, but if I dont get the full year, there is a good chance I might get the half year. Long term subs at this school get paid salary with full benefits.. and they pay REALLY WELL. I would be making much more money as a full year LTS at district B than a permanent teacher at District A. I would also know more people and get to work at my dream school. But.. it is only a long term sub.

    Thoughts?? There is a good chance I wont be offered the job at District A , but if I am, what should I do? I want to take the job where I am most happy but.. what if I end up with nothing for the following school year, or nothing in January?

    If you were nice enough to read this whole thing, Im wondering your two cents? :)
     
  2.  
  3. Aliceacc

    Aliceacc Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2006
    Messages:
    27,534
    Likes Received:
    6

    Jul 9, 2009

    In this economy, a bird in the hand is worth several in a dream school. I would take the job that's more likely to have some staying power.

    Besides, you haven't taught there yet-- how do you KNOW it's not your dream school???
     
  4. Kangaroo22

    Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2008
    Messages:
    6,216
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 9, 2009

    I would probably take the job at school A if offered, as there is a better of chance of being employed next year also. However, if you did receive the full year LTS you could ask what the chances of being employed there next year would be and then make your decision with that information. Good luck!
     
  5. Petite_Teacher

    Petite_Teacher Companion

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2009
    Messages:
    197
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 9, 2009

    I would take the job with school A if offered. It's a full time teaching position. If not offered the job I would interview with school B as you are doing and hope to get the full time subbing position. Good luck and let us know what the outcome of school A is.
     
  6. skittleroo

    skittleroo Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    Messages:
    1,958
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 9, 2009

    yeah, if you get a job as perm teacher, I'd have to say I'd take that. That experience will be invaluable.

    LTS is good exp, but not in comparison to being teacher of record.

    but then you DO have to consider what will make you happy.
     
  7. swansong1

    swansong1 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Messages:
    6,741
    Likes Received:
    1,696

    Jul 9, 2009

    Best scenario...both schools will tell you "yes" the same day and then you can choose the situation that makes you feel more comfortable. Could it be that School B seems like a dream school because you worked there and it is familiar? Like Alice said, you won't know that another school isn't a dream school if you don't work for it? I would also go with the permanent job if it is offered.
     
  8. teacher112

    teacher112 Companion

    Joined:
    May 28, 2009
    Messages:
    176
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 9, 2009

    School B is a "dream" school because.....

    it is BEAUTIFUL, spacious, has TONS of resources
    is one of the highest paying districts in the state
    i made a lot of friends there with the teachers while student teaching/has lots of young teachers and a CUTE gym teacher (hahah)
    the principal is great
    it is in a great area


    School A is...

    in a ruralish area/not the best area for young people
    I would be the only young/new teacher
    not as many resources/older school
    average pay
    I dont know anyone there
     
  9. AFWifeinUtah

    AFWifeinUtah Comrade

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2008
    Messages:
    298
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 9, 2009

    Wow I wish you so much luck on deciding. That is tough but like the other say, I think you should take the full time job. Try it for a year and if dream school has a job open the next year maybe you can district transfer.Let us know what happens and good luck!
     
  10. Jobsearching101

    Jobsearching101 Companion

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2009
    Messages:
    119
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 9, 2009

    Go for school B and get a date with the gym teacher! Seriously though, if its a dream school/district, take the sub job and more likely than not, you'll be offered a permanent job the following year OR at least have the experience to get you and offer in District A the next year if nothing else opened up. Life is short- be happy :)
     
  11. teacher112

    teacher112 Companion

    Joined:
    May 28, 2009
    Messages:
    176
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 9, 2009

    Hahahhaa Jobsearching, I like your perspective! We will see what ends up happening. I could end up with nada!
     
  12. darlibby

    darlibby Companion

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2008
    Messages:
    231
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 9, 2009

    I don't really have any advice, just wanted to say.... my current school has a really cute gym teacher too. I'm going to miss him always smiling at me. Eye candy on the job is great :)
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

Total: 273 (members: 0, guests: 251, robots: 22)
test