My Sister's Keeper Movie Vs. Book (Spoiler if you haven't seen and read it!)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by chicagoturtle, Jun 27, 2009.

1. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 27, 2009

Okay- I just finished reading the book very recently -- like a week or so ago.

I went to the movie by myself- partially because I thought I was going to ball my eyes out.

I know movies change from the book often- but I wasn't expecting that big of a change.

THE ENTIRE THING was changed-

I didn't actually cry that much at all either....

3. melnm

melnm Companion

Jun 27, 2009

I haven't read the book yet. I went to Walmart earlier to get it, but they were all out--just a few days ago they had several copies. I read your post and don't think it ruins anything for me (and I like surprises). I thought the movie looked good from the previews. I want to see it, but I want to read the book first.

You said the movie is completely different, but you didn't say if it was any good or not. Did you like it?

4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 27, 2009

My sister called me raging mad yesterday because they completely changed the ending. The ending (not going to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read) is very central to the theme of the book, and very classic Jodi Picoult.

5. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 27, 2009

I read and LOVED the book. I don't plan on seeing the movie because I read a review that the movie was "loosely based" on the book with a different ending.

Chicago Turtle- Did you like the movie?

6. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jun 27, 2009

Saw the movie yesterday and haven't read the book yet. Really liked the movie - started crying halfway in and didn't stop til the end. My friend who has read the book told me the ending and as posted is VERY different. Glad I saw the movie first, now I can enjoy the book.

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 27, 2009

Will someone PM me and tell me how the movie ended?

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2009

Oh, yeah, PM me too- might save me the $$ I would have spent on the movie...sounds disappointing.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 27, 2009

I was thinking of reading My Sister's Keeper this summer then renting the movie when it comes out. Every time I read the book first I'm usually 99% disappointed with the movie version!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 27, 2009

I usually can't even go see the movie after reading the book. Two exceptions were Winn Dixie and Lion, Witch and ....

11. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 27, 2009

Dzenna and czacza- Sent you both a PM with the movie ending.

12. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jun 27, 2009

I agree chicagoturtle! I went to the movie with expectations for the ending and when that part came around I actually said (out loud) "WHAT?" which got me a glare from my friend, but I was just angry--the ending was so good in the book...what did they do? :lol:

13. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2009

I read about that too.

Thank goodness I don't read books! JK:haha:

Looking forward to watching the movie soon (when the crowds die down). I know I won't be disappointed since I won't be reading the book anyhow. :)

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2009

Your pm didn't come through.:(

15. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jun 29, 2009

My Sisters Keeper is the 1st Picoult book that I read - and now I have read every book she has published. It is by far my favorite, I read it it one sitting and cried at the end. I was mad at the book for making me feel so sad. I will def not be seeing the movie if it takes away from it.

So far the only movies that followed the books completely was The Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption. (IMO)

16. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 29, 2009

I got it. Czacza, if I can figure it out I'll forward it to you.

17. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jun 29, 2009

I read the book when it first came out. I plan on reading it again. I have to say I love reading books by Jodi Picoult. I was planning on seeing the movie but may wait until it comes out since it does not sound that great.

Could someone send me a PM to tell me how the movie ends????

Thanks!

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2009

Thanks. You definitely saved me the movie ticket. I'll wait for it to come out on video (I love redbox- do you have one near you? $1 per movie per night) I was kind of suspecting what you told me would be the change they made. Ick.

On its way to you.

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2009

I haven't read the book OR seen the movie, but I just looked up the ending to both online. WOW! That seems like a big difference.

I talk to my students about how literature and theatre were always a little more academic, but how movies were for the masses. That's why in movies like Streetcar Named Desire, they totally change the ending so that Stella leaves Stanley in the end. But in the play, she goes back to him, even after he rapes her sister and sends her to a nut house. That was just too much for the "masses" so they changed it. I guess this kind of thing still happens today.

20. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

Can you post the movie ending here since it says there will be a spoiler in the title of this post? I'd really like to know how the movie ends...

21. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2009

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2009

I also read that Jodi Picoult did not like the ending of the movie as it was written in the screen play.

23. maroki

maroki Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

I hadn't planned on seeing the movie as I've already read the book, and this thread further solidifies that plan.

Although the ending of her book was very sad, it made for a wonderful story and I can't believe they changed it in the movie!

I love Jodi Picoult and I've read every one of her books.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2009

Here's what Jodi Picoult has to say about the ending:

TO ALL MY FABULOUS FANS WHO’VE SEEN THE MOVIE:
    Yes, I know the ending is different. Yes, I know some of you are very upset. I didn’t change it. The author has no control over the movie, and it was hard for me to accept too. However, there’s a great deal in the movie that I think is great, and I enjoyed watching it - and I hope you did too. Please don’t email me asking me why I changed the ending, or “let” Hollywood do that - it wasn’t something I had any control over. Tell Warner Brothers what YOU think ».

—Jodi Picoult

25. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2009

I have not read the book nor seen the movie but my 2 daughters went last night to see it together because they said that they could cry with each other. They were both so mad when they got home because they said the book and the movie were not even close.

26. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jul 1, 2009

I have yet to read the book yet since I'm on the waiting list at the library. I did go see the movie last night though and I thought that it was a good movie.

27. lovethatdog

lovethatdog New Member

Jul 1, 2009

I read the book years ago and just saw the movie last week... loved the book, enjoyed the movie-- though they might as well have been titled two completely distinct titles because they were so different from each other. The movie's ending, I must say, I found to be much, much more plausible... that's not to say that I didn't love the novel's ending, but I think that the movie handled it in a much more believable manner :)

28. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 2, 2009

I read the spoiler, and I am so glad I did. I won't spend the money to go to the movie. I love her books so much-especially for the endings-and I will be so upset.
    Another movie that followed the books (with the exception of one character) was the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

29. Aug 6, 2009

I HATED the movie because they changed so much! You cant do that to a really good book :)