My Secret Shame - I have laundry issues

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ku_alum, Dec 30, 2008.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2008

2. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 30, 2008

Too funny!

My husband ended up doing laundry throughout our marriage because he nagged one too many times on how it should be done. His idea was to pull a piece out of the dryer, hang it up, close the door, restart the dryer and let it run a few cycles then repeat the process until all the pieces are out of the dryer. No way was I doing this. As a new wife I tried to ignore it. Finally I gave up and told him to do it from now on. That was 13 years ago.

3. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Dec 30, 2008

OMG czacza!! That is SO funny!!!

4. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 30, 2008

The amount of times I have gone out to buy underwear, or washed them out, just to not do laundry is too much to even admit. And I walk by the washing machine every darn day!

It is a work in progress for me, this year my goal is to not buy any underwear! I need to get a grip

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 30, 2008

Socks....socks are my downfall. I get them washed, but mating them is a whole nother story. I own far too many socks, but just found it necasary to by 5 more pairs of black socks.....

6. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 30, 2008

:toofunny:

Thanks for posting this. I received it a few weeks ago but could not download it.

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 30, 2008

Let me introduce you to the "sock box". I got sick of sorting hundreds of sox... my husbands, high school son, two college aged daughters. I ended up throwing every sock into a box. They sort through the pile themselves. It made my life so much easier.

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2008

My son is in charge of the socks; but if it were me; I'd make it a point to have each family member "connect" the pairs with a safety pin before throwing them in the hamper!
    We have a sock box; but that's where all the mismatched socks & those who are missing a "buddy" go. LOL

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 30, 2008

Unfortunately, that's almost how it works here, but the kids are still a bit too little to mate socks themselves (well, maybe the oldest could get it right). I wind up pulling the socks out of the basket in the mornings and throwing them on their dressers so they can get dressed. I suppose they COULD do it, but then I'd wind up with an orange ankle sock mated with a white tube sock...and that would be if I could even get them to wear socks without an argument every day anyway. Don't you think they'd figure it out when EVERY SINGLE STINKIN morning I look, and then send them all back to their rooms to put on socks?!?!?!?!?

Okay, sorry, uninteded vent there....it just snuck up on me.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 31, 2008

I don't mind washing at all. The clothes smell so good coming out of the dryer and they are so warm. But . . . I hate folding and putting away. I don't know why. Maybe as a child I was traumatized by a clean shirt. At the moment I have a basket full of neatly folded clothes that I have dug out of twice, but not put away. Maybe I can train my cat to put them away!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2008

I stopped matching socks a few years ago. Eveyone's clean, folded clothes go in a pile with a "heap" of socks on top of it--they can match their own! My daughter has taken the dislike of matching socks to a new height--she has made it her trademark to wear mismatched socks.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 31, 2008

Let me know if you have any success with the cat training....

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 31, 2008

The cat is now laying on top of my printer giving me an evil look so I'm doubtful the training will be successful! :D

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2008

I live alone, and I make sure that when I sort laundry, every single sock is in one load, so that I don't have to wait for other loads to finish to find a loose sock. And I STILL ended up with 10 mismatched socks one time!!! How does this happen???

15. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 31, 2008

Didn't you know.....Sock Goblins.

By the way, May 9th is Lost Sock Memorial Day

16. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Dec 31, 2008

I am doing laundry right now, let's hope I can get it taken care of today!!

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 31, 2008

I think it was NYC, who had an event where people could write down all the bad things that happened this year and put them in a massive bonfire (or pile that was going to get burned, I'm not sure). I guess the idea was to burn away the bad stuff for the year in order to welcome in the new year. Anyway, the person who won the prize for the most original entry was the person who threw in a sock to represent all the lost socks in the dryer :)

18. robin0103

robin0103 Rookie

Jan 1, 2009

Maybe you should check into Flylady.net
    I used to spend ALL day on Sundays doing the laundry from the week & it would be clean but never get put away...husband piled it on guest bed, kids on the stairs, pile on the couch...etc. I hated it.
    Now I just do 1 load a day when I get home from work: wash/dry/& put it away (it doesn't take long to put it away when it's just one load). I am so much happier. It's just about starting a new habit (and getting rid of all the stuff in the closet you don't wear.)

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 1, 2009

Unfortunately, right now I don't have a washer and dryer. BOTH of them died within days of each other. I have to either go to a laundry mat or go to my mom's house (I choose mom...it's cheaper), to do my laundry, so it all gets done in one day.

20. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 1, 2009

*sigh* I'm going to have to break down and fold that load in the basket. My mom is stopping by tomorrow and it causes her such stress to see a load of laundry in a basket not folded. :D

21. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 1, 2009

My cats would revolt if all the laundry was ever folded. I swear a fight breaks out every time I put a fresh-from-the-dryer basket of clothes on my bed. It's like a race to see who can claim it first. They haven't had the chance in a while though. I really need to replace my washer and dryer. If that's not a motivation, I don't know what is :D

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2009

I forgot to mention that sometimes when mine gets horribly backed up, I just load it all in the car and hit the laundromat. One time I loaded up 14 washers (keep in mind I live alone). But I did all my towels, clothes, I washed my comforters, etc. It was worth the quarters because everything was done at the same time.

23. robin0103

robin0103 Rookie

Jan 2, 2009

I wonder if it's a new trend....my daughter & some of her friends also wear mismatched socks all the time. They like the colorful ones with words & pictures so it will really be obvious.
    I guess the nice thing about wearing mismatched socks is if you lose one of the pair it doesn't matter :)

24. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 3, 2009

Have you seen this site? You can order mismatched socks on purpose! http://www.socklady.com/index.php

A few years ago I thought I'd be smart and got rid of all my different white socks and bought 6 identical pair. That way it doesn't matter, just grab 2 and go. Well, I wear a lot of cute socks (frogs, space, etc) so I still have to deal with matching them up.

25. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2009

OMG Ku I could have written this post. WHen I was reading it I thought maybe I did! My DH is exactly the same way and I am EXACTLY the same way you are with clothes and laundry. It's actually a new year's resolution for me to get rid of clothes that I don't wear anymore and to do laundry every sunday!!! I am glad I am not alone though!

26. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2009

I soooooo could have written this post! :lol: