My school is grieving

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs. K., Oct 24, 2008.

1. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2008

About ten days ago, Mike, one of our math teachers, was riding his bike to school and was hit by a car. He suffered skull and facial fractures and a broken arm that would require surgery. He was making progress and was expected to recover.

Wednesday afternoon our principal visited with Mike from 4 to 4:30. Fifteen minutes later, Mike died of a pulmonary embolism.

We were all called to a mandatory meeting during Nutrition yesterday. We knew it couldn't be good news when we walked into the library - there were tissues at all the tables, and every high school counselor and psychologist in the district was there. The nutrition break was extended so that we could absorb the news and so that anyone who could not go back to their classes - mostly math teachers, as you would expect - could arrange for a counselor to take over for them. We went back and broke the news to our students. One of my girls started sobbing, and all were shocked and somber. Mike was "a cool guy," to quote the kids, and had been teaching at our school for eight years, so several had had him and most knew of him. We were able to send kids down to the counselors in the library if they wanted support, and there's a huge sheet of butcher paper on one of the walls that they can sign.

Mike had very little family, so his school family is helping set up a celebration of his life next Tuesday afternoon. Tonight is Homecoming, and there will be a moment of silence for him before the game as well as in school today. Plans are going forward to create a memorial garden outside his classroom building and our scholarship foundation is setting up a memorial scholarship in his name.

I didn't know Mike well, because we're all so compartmentalized at the high school. I remember him as the cheerful guy who would hold the door open for me once in a while when I ventured down to the faculty cafeteria for a soda; he was part of the group that ate there every day. But he was part of our school family, and we're all hurting.

Give each other a hug today, folks. Life is precious.

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 24, 2008

:hugs: My condolences to you and your school.

4. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2008

That is so sad. What a loss to have someone so young and so giving cut down early in his productive life. I feel your grief. It must be devestating for the school and the staff. Comfort the kids and remember Mike and how much he cared for the kids. I so admire math high school teachers. It is a hard job and requires a lot of dedication and brains. Maybe this will bring your school closer together...

5. Mathfan

Mathfan Rookie

Oct 24, 2008

I'm sorry to hear of your school's loss. It's a horrible tragedy. My prayers are with you and your school.

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2008

I'm sorry for your school's loss. I will keep your school in my prayers.

7. Luv2Learn

Luv2Learn Companion

Oct 24, 2008

Hi Mrs. K.,

Just wanted to send my condolences to you and the other teachers at your school.

Kris

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2008

OMGosh... so sorry. Your whole school will be in my thoughts & prayers along with Mike's family!!!

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2008

:hugs: I'm sorry that the school is having to deal with the sudden death of a teacher. Your school will be in my prayers.

10. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Oct 24, 2008

I'm so sorry...I will keep you and your community in my prayers...

11. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2008

I have tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat as I read this post. I could not imagine losing a coworker in death. Please accept my condolences to your staff and students.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 24, 2008

Hugs, Mrs. K.

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 24, 2008

This is just heartbreaking. I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 24, 2008

Such sad news. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2008

I am so sorry to hear of your school's loss. We lost one of our Reading teachers suddenly a few years ago. A memorial is a wonderful, important idea--we planted a memorial garden and commissioned a mural to be painted in our library in her memory.

Your entire school community will be in my prayers.

16. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Oct 24, 2008

We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

17. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2008

oh that is really sad; my heart goes out to you and your school.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2008

I'm so sorry!

It's brutal when a school community loses one of its own, whether it's a teacher or a kid. And it's especially hard on the teachers--you have to manage your own grief while at the same time console the kids.

My sincere sympathies!!

19. xmasqueen

xmasqueen Rookie

Oct 24, 2008

I'm so sorry for your schools loss, especially when the kids really liked the teacher and feel so strongly about it. We had that happen 2 years ago. One of our 5th grade teachers was out Christmas caroling with her church family and some of them were walking on the side of the road next to the church. She apparently stumble and fell into the path of an oncoming vehicle. It was very sad because we are a small school but unfortunately she wasn't one of those teachers that everyone was really fond of. Sort of the negative type, but it was still sad all the same.

20. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 24, 2008

Mrs. K, that is such sad news. I know it has to be hitting everyone at the school hard. You are all in my prayers.

21. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 24, 2008

I'm sorry that this happened. Teachers touch a lot of lives and it goes on and on with those students reaching out to others because of that special teacher.
    I pray that you and everyone else will be comforted by one another. God Bless You.

22. TeachMe3

TeachMe3 Rookie

Oct 24, 2008

I will be praying for Mike's family and your school family.

23. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 24, 2008

Your school is in my thoughts.

24. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Oct 24, 2008

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm sending up a prayer for your student body and staff right now.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 24, 2008

Death is a hard thing to take in, especially when it happens so suddenly & unexpectedly. I'm assuming he wasn't that old. It's too bad.

26. CajunQueen

CajunQueen Rookie

Oct 24, 2008

I'm sorry for your school's loss. How sad! Sending prayers your way.

27. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Oct 25, 2008

Oh, how tragic. I have tears in my eyes reading your post. I'm very sorry for your school's loss and I will be thinking of all of you.

28. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Oct 25, 2008

Mrs. K, I am so sorry. You and the entire school will be in my prayers.

29. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Oct 25, 2008

Your post has me in tears. My sincere condolences.

About a month ago, my school lost our of our most loved, young teachers in a car accident. She was my friend and a fellow member of my dept. It was very difficult to manage my own grief and to console the other teachers (including her bf who works at the school) and the students.

I took some time away from my classroom to sit in the library and cry with the students. Remember to take care of yourself, too. If you need anything, feel free to PM me.

30. storyh

storyh Companion

Oct 25, 2008

This news brought tears to my eyes. I am so sorry to hear this. I think it is very touching the way you guys are pulling together to make sure he is remembered. I will say a prayer for your school.

31. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Oct 26, 2008

So, so sorry for your loss and praying that you and your school will be able to cope with all the feelings you will have.

Having lost a student just 3 weeks ago, I know the emotions will be all over the place. I still tear up each time I think of her or see her mom and the sadness and emptiness in her eyes. It's so tough, but our students have found comfort in having her picture. Some took the picture home, some taped it to their desks.

Praying for you....

32. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Oct 26, 2008

I am so so sorry for you and your school family. My thoughts are with you.