My School is Closing Down

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SleekTeach, Apr 12, 2015.

1. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Apr 12, 2015

I was notified a few months ago that my school would be converted to a Performing Arts High School. Therefore, all of the students and teachers will be relocated to a near by school. We were initially told that this wouldn't happen until the 2016-2017 year. Next thing I know they have put a big sign in front of my school announcing it's new name and purpose, and just last week there were over 30 contractors walking the halls of my school during school hours. The parents were notified that eventually their neighborhood(low income housing) will be torn down to make space for a new theater and parking lots and that they will have to relocate as well. Now, we've found out that the relocation for the school will be the upcoming year. I'm a little worried about this process.

First of all, I wonder if we teachers will just be able to pack our things and take them to the other school, or if we will have to interview again to make sure the principal wants us there.

Second, I wonder how we will be received by the teachers who are already there. Will we be treated as part of the team, or will there always be some type of obvious divide amongst the teachers and staff?

Third, would I still get to teach the same grade and remain departmentalized, or would I end up being self contained?

Fourth, my school is rough and the students I will have next year are going to be difficult. At the new school, are they going to mix all of the kids or keep the kids in distinct classes based off what school they attended the previous year. (I would rather have a mixture of kids from my current school and the new school we are relocating to)

We will be receiving more information about the move tomorrow (4-13-15) but, I'm wondering what the process is really like. Anyone ever had something like this happen?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2015

I taught for 9 years at a dual-track school (English and French Immersion). Two and a half years ago, it was decided that the English Track students would be moved to a new school that was being built. Initially, it was determined that the entire English staff would be declared surplus and would have to apply to any available jobs in the board. Our union became involved, as did the parents, and it was determined that all staff who wanted to move with the students would be able to. We did meet with the principal to discuss what our teaching preferences were, and he tried to honour our requests as much as possible.

As far as the students, they were coming to the new school from three different sites. By the end of the first month you couldn't tell who came from where--we had blended together to form a new identity.

It's hard to say what will happen--too many variables are in play. I hope that you are able to get some answers tomorrow.

4. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Apr 12, 2015

OP, I have no words of wisdom for you. But as someone who just went through a week of holding my breath waiting to hear how district restructuring would impact me, I wish you well. I hope you get a lot of good, clear information at the meeting and that it sets your mind at ease.
    Sheilah

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 12, 2015

too many variables to tell.

In my district when this happened, I believe the teachers put in requests for which school(s) they would move to, with the understanding that they would probably follow the students. This allowed for employee choice. If there were available positions at other schools, might as well fill them with current employees and place new hires at the combined school.

I cannot imagine a system keeping the students separated at the new school. That scenario doesn't make sense to me at all.

6. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Apr 12, 2015

Well at my current school we have all ready divided our students into their classes for next year. What I mean is that when the move happens will they just keep them in those groups or mix them in? I hope they mix them in because if they don't I know my year with be tough with the upcoming 1st graders.

7. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Apr 12, 2015

I had a school close two months after signing on with them. Two months after leaving a good job and taking this job...I found out by reading the local newspaper we were closing. To say I was emotional and angry would be an understatement. I am sure you are scared right now! I would start thinking about unemployment. Since you didn't get fired and you didn't cause the closure you should qualify, (I did) but I. The meantime I would apply elsewhere. Why limit yourself!? Hang in there. It turned out my school closing was a blessing. I was able to go back to school, finish a second credential and a masters. Something I wouldn't have done if I had been able to,stay at my old job. Goodluck

8. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Apr 12, 2015

FOR THE RECORD: Everyone in my school was promised that we would not be losing our jobs. We just don't know where we could end up!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2015

I'd start slowly moving your personal stuff out...
    Good luck to all of you during this transition.

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2015

I personally think it is doubtful they will be done by the fall - very optimistic in terms of construction, etc. Expect chaos and delays. We packed our personal stuff and had to take it home. Everything else was moved by the district so label it VERY clearly, however, if the school is remaining open, they might leave all that stuff at the old school. It takes A LOT of patience, work and willingness to accept change. Start with a good attitude and be flexible.

11. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 12, 2015

I am in a current situation similar to yours. District is shifting, revamping, reconfiguring, strategizing -- to compete and save them selves. It's all about trying to keep up with the latest and greatest- if not, heads will roll(quoting our Icoach). That's just reality in the current state of things. Whatever it is, we are assured that we will have jobs, though currently none of us have contracts. In any case, our school has proven that we can achieve much despite the disadvantages we have that generally most schools done. I know I will have a job but I just done know where, what and who I will be assigned to.

As we were told this past week, they will move our things to where we will be going if we know by then. I personally chose to move my own things since it will be less complicated and gives me flexibility. I'm still considering my options and so want to have control where ever I can.
    In a way it's a good thing. It's a new start, new adventure, new opportunities. I strongly believe that things happen for a reason. We just don't understand at the time and it will take time to see it through and adjust.
    Honestly I have to say that I'm in a sort of mourning as most of us are at our school. We just focus on the fact that we've been told we will have a job next year.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2015

I couldn't agree more. In spite of all of the stress we went through in the months before we moved, I am now teaching in the best place I have ever been, with incredible colleagues and an amazing admin.

Hope that you get some clarification today.