My school gives too much hw-I am ready to speak up

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Sep 24, 2011.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2011

The kids have homework in almost every subject in elementary, and it's just overwhelming. I try to give very minimal homework, one or two pages of something with grammar of spelling (each page has 5-10 problems and it takes the kids just a short time to do it), and math twice a week. But, then there is homework in Spanish, science (the other teacher is teaching science this year), and even PE (don't get me started on that one).

My own daughter had math twice last week that consisted of 60 problems. They were math drills that the teacher sent home to be finished! 60 problems on top of all other homework! My daughter does homework from the time she comes home until about 9. That is way, way too long!

I have had other moms complain too, specifically my daughter's friends' moms, and they all say the same. I am ready to speak up about this.

I need help with finding studies and any other research online that points to the negative consequences of too much homework. I know at a certain point too much homework is hurtful. I see it with my own daughter who dreads it and has developed a negative attitude with it. I am so frustrated right now. I would appreciate any help. Thanks everyone!

3. annawik

annawik New Member

Sep 24, 2011

parents must watch their child behaviour at home.

Sir i think you must check the level of learning first of this child. i think child need some personal attention from their parents too. you have to call their parents and ask them to tell you the daily routine of child. it will help you a lot.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2011

Annwik, I am a woman, but other than that I honestly don't understand your comment.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2011

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2011

Thanks Alice!

7. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Sep 24, 2011

I have just been looking into this as well and read an article last night that was summarizing many studies on HW. Their conclusion was that 10 minutes per grade level was the developmentally appropriate standard for time spent on HW. So a 6th grader should spend about 60 minutes on HW a night. This was referencing K-8, not sure how it applied to high school. I am currently struggling with assigning HW because of the number of subjects my students have, technically my HW assignments should only be 3-7 minutes long (for science in middle school). So really what can I give that would even be worth it for 3-7 minutes? At the moment I can't find that article I read but I will search some more and see what I come up with.

8. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Sep 24, 2011

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2011

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2011

Okay, I did it. I sent an email to my coordinator asking that we, all the elementary teachers, meet about this. I am a little nervous about her reaction, but I feel this is important.

11. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Sep 24, 2011

Have them read Marzano's Classroom Instruction That Works. It is a researched-based book of best practices that will speak against too much homework for elementary students.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 24, 2011

I've always heard 10 minutes per grade level. So 10 minutes in 1st grade, 40 minutes in 4th grade, 70 minutes in 7th grade, 100 minutes 10th grade, etc. And those minutes are divided AMONG subjects - not each subject can be that amount.

I try to keep my homework simple and relevant... I don't want them killing themselves over grammar and vocabulary skills. The 7th graders in Algebra I have enough on their plates.

13. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 24, 2011

I never give homework for homework's sake. If they have homework, it's usually classwork that they didn't finish.

Even then, if I see that the majority of the class still has a mountain of problems yet to complete (I teach math), I'll take a few problems off the list.

Kids are supposed to be kids. I hate it when I have to bring a pile of work home with me. I don't want them to have to do it either.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2011

15. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2011

My team gives too much homework - parents were telling me it took at least 2 hours a night.

This year, I am giving work that should be done in about 15 minutes, and then 15 minutes of reading.

I am happier, my kids are happier, the parents are happier.

(My teammates... aren't quite on board with my idea. But I did their thing for a while, and needed to make the change.)

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2011

Thanks you guys for the references and information about what you yourselves give for hw.

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 24, 2011

My kids have me for three periods (reading, writing, and social studies). The only homework I assign is a Reading Response Journal. I know the kids have homework from their science and math teachers, so I don't like to overload them with too many assignments (most of my kids are involved in after school sports and other activities).

Back when I taught 2nd grade, though, I only assigned one page of homework per night (double-sided). One side was spelling and the other side was math.

I've never, ever been big on homework. I think the sources that previous people have posted are very valuable and should be quite eye-opening for teachers who assign too much homework.

Keep us posted, Tami!

18. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 24, 2011

This is what my school follows as well. Our guidelines are 10-15 per grade level COMBINED. Not 10-15 per subject.

Marzano does preach a lot about homework in his book if you can get your hands on a copy. Barnes & Noble usually has them in stock. It is a very good read if you have never read it before.

Good luck in your meeting!

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2011

I emailed my coordinator and requested a meeting with all the teachers to discuss this issue. I will keep you guys updated on what happens. Hopefully we can work on this in a positive way.

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 26, 2011

Could there be a cultural difference at play here?

21. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Sep 26, 2011

The Homework Myth by Alfie Kohn

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2011

It's also annoying when a school doesn't have a policy on this. My sister went from 2-3 hours a night in 4th to a 5th grade teacher who said "Oh, I don't believe in homework at all" to 6th grade where she has to manage her different classes and may or may not have homework.

At my current school district, the middle school gives little homework and gives them "flex time" at the end of the day, which is essentially a study hall where they can do all their homework with the teacher. But in high school, many freshman are not scheduled in study hall at all and are given 8 classes. This means many of the kids go from no homework to 2+ hours of homework every night. We have a high failure rate in 9th because kids aren't doing their work.

23. Breakaway4

Breakaway4 Rookie

Sep 26, 2011

My frustration with homework as a parent is the relevancy (or lack thereof). If a student does not need extra practice on math facts say - and has received several 100's then why oh why make them do math facts sheets for homework!

It is hard for me to justify it to a child other than to say that is just the rules and you have to do it which sounds lame even to me.

I think homework should be given only when it is meaningful and helpful to that child.