My school feels like a ticking time bomb

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Shanoo, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Nov 16, 2010

I have no idea what is going on this year. The atmosphere in that building seems so heavy and out of control.

Over the past week, we've had at least 1 fight every day. Boys fighting with boys, girls fighting with girls...we even had one fight between a boy and a girl. Neither one of them held back.

I've been at that school for nearly 5 years and never once have we been locked down. I'll be surprised if we make it to Christmas without one this year. :(

3. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Nov 16, 2010

If it makes you feel better, today, we had 5 fights at the end of lunch today and they had to start 5th period early to get all the kids in classrooms.

4. gigi

gigi Groupie

Nov 16, 2010

I am so sorry this is happening at your school. Sending hugs.

5. David Brown

David Brown Rookie

Nov 16, 2010

Yea that's sounds bad, is there any reason why everything's so tense?

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 16, 2010

Hope the tension eases soon, Shanoo. There's tension in my building as well, but nothing physical as of yet.

7. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Nov 16, 2010

Well, we're overcrowded, half of our admin team is new and I don't think we've been as consistent with consequences as we could be.

I'm hoping tensions ease soon as well. I love my school and I hate feeling the way I do when I go in. I always feel on guard, wondering what's gonna happen next.

8. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Nov 16, 2010

Are we at the same school? I feel the exact same way! Expect our problems are very different, but still it feels like its closer to May rather than November. I am exhausted and I dont know how to deal with the year anymore. I didnt want to go to work yesterday, its just been chaos. Hope things ease out over there!

9. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 17, 2010

I feel violence is contagious. Sorry that your school has such an atmosphere. You sound like a powerless bystander, though....?? I think you should actively lobby your students against violence, and teach them healthier conflict resolution.

When kids see a fight, they see how much attention the fighters get and how exciting and distracting it is. They see their teachers and administrators flustered and lacking control. They emulate reality shows and violent video games. With those examples, it becomes easier for more fights to occur.

I'd take time with every class to talk with them about how disappointing, how wrong, how unacceptable it is to fight. Teach them how to react. Should they be cheering or should they be trying to stop the fight? Should they crowd around and stare or should they go and get an adult. We have to counteract the constant barrage of negative TV and video games with an equally constant barrage of appropriate examples of how to act, and better ways of dealing with problems.

Team up! Recruit some other teachers and set up safe zones in your classrooms and hallways where kids know fighting will not be tolerated. Good luck!

10. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Nov 18, 2010

Everyone could due with a refresher on the schools violence policy and plans for incidents like columbine. It does seem like everyone wants to beat the hell out of each other this year.

11. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Nov 18, 2010

We're having a year with several fights as well. We went through a bought last year with a fight a day and then it settled down. This year, we're having 1 or 2 a week and it's not slowing down. We had 2 today, one of which was pretty bloody and between two of my best behaved students.

On the subject of Columbine, that is VERY different than a fight. Columbine was an active shooter situation. Those are typically planned out well in advance and the shooters rarely expect to live through it. (Normal fights are spontaneous or very simply planned with few complexities thought out in advance.)

If you want to prepare for an active shooter situation (which I suggest you do), plan a procedure. Get the door barricaded, the windows covered, the lights out, the students in an area out of sight, and instruct your students to attack if anyone comes through the door right as they are coming through it. Don't open the door for anyone but a uniformed officer (even students you know as you don't know who the shooter may be.)

It sounds harsh and I'm sure that last one will be questioned, but if you read up on what happened in the Library at Columbine or in many of the classrooms on the Virginia Tech campus you'll understand why I say this. (The shooters literally walked down the line shooting people point blank as they hid under desks and tables.) An even better idea is to talk to your SRO about what to do in an active shooter situation, they are trained in this aspect.

12. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Nov 18, 2010

We have AT LEAST five lock-downs a year.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 19, 2010

Wow. I've only been through one lockdown, and that was because of a romantic triangle in the bus garage that went horribly wrong.

14. teach2boyz

teach2boyz Rookie

Nov 19, 2010

We've had two fights this week (that I know of) and I'm in an elementary school!!!

15. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Nov 20, 2010

I think our systems operate a bit differently with respect to lock downs. We have two different levels of lock down, yellow and red.

We have a couple of yellows every year. It means we don't do class changes, bathroom breaks, etc. No one leaves the rooms, but everything else remains the same. These happen when we have a report of a weapon at school (even a knife) or when there's been an armed crime near the school and the bad guy hasn't been caught (last year a convenience store was robbed at gun point and they were searching for the guy.)

We're prepared for a red, but have never had one. This will be called if we have a hostage situation, an active shooter situation, a situation where the SRO is attacked, or a situation that the SRO feels is likely to turn into something of this level. This is when we barricade the doors.