My room is ready! Photos!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ima Teacher, Jul 27, 2009.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2009

I actually think it look great. I like when teachers keep in mind that 13 year olds are still kids. You made it look fun and inviting. Heck, that is the kind of place I want to be and I'm 32!

2. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 28, 2009

Don't get me wrong Ima Teacher, it's wonderful, but I honestly thought it was a 4th gr room before I saw that it was for 7th. Anyways that's great that you're doing the trial & error.

I think it's pretty courageous of you for having the kids face each other, no matter what grade they are! :)

3. ekk5968

ekk5968 Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

I teach High School in an inner city school. They love the decoration just like they were 7 again. They are more mad if the room is not decorated.

4. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 28, 2009

As usual, your room looks great!
    Having taught middle schoolers for well over 20 years, I know that the majority of them like a cheerful classroom. The others don't care one way or another. I think it is important that the room is also one that the teacher is comfortable in as well. I would hate to go into a "bare bones classroom" every day

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

Ima teacher, I just have to say again how great I think it is that you decorated. Before I became a teacher, I subbed in middle and high school. I hated when the rooms were plain. I think it says alot about the teacher (and not in a good way).

I think it shows that you like your job and that you value the kids. What is the ****could be wrong with that. And even if a few kids silly, who cares??? It means you captured their attention.......and their hearts. That is the first step to becoming a great teacher.

And if having a boring, plain room is what is required in the upper grades, please COUNT ME OUT!

6. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

good for you! We do need to remember they are still kids and enjoy a cheerful room.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2009

I think that it also depends on the climate of your school as to how it is decorated. We are a middle school, not a junior high, which also makes a difference. When we ran a junior high schedule, we were also in a school that was older & smaller. We had less space, and it was more of an "every man for himself" kind of vibe. Once we moved to a new building and started more teaming, we worked on making the climate of the building different.

One thing that was always mentioned in parent & student surveys was that the building was sterile and not inviting. We started adding displays to the hallways--kid's photos and work mostly. It's made a lot of difference in how our building is perceived by "outsiders".

8. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

love your room and the decorations are really thoughtful too!

9. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

Why aren't the kids allowed to go to their lockers at the end of the day?

My youngest is going into grade 7 and she would love your room. Her school is grade 6 - 8 and most of the rooms are as lovely as yours.

The boring ones come in high school. It will be interesting to see if my sone even notices what the rooms look like.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2009

It helps to get the kids on the busses more quickly. They go to their lockers at three designated times of the day: before school, before exploratory class, and before sixth period. It helps keep down "lingering" in the hallways and helps the traffic flow in the halls.

For organization and monitoring purposes, students in each grade exit the building by different routes.

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 28, 2009

I am also very colorful, so I relate! Your room looks exceptionally nice for a middle school classroom!! :)

12. Señora Lorenzo

Señora Lorenzo Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

My high schoolers love my room and also comment on how much more colorful it is as compared to the other rooms in the room. They also look forward to having their work posted. Of course, I teach Spanish, so I guess my room is likely to be very decorative (I used to teach PreK).

13. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

Before the renovation, they could..but this building ..on the inside is new and they just don't want it covered. I did have a fellow teacher, that put a couple things up and no one said anything..with that said..I do have 5 small and 1 huge bulletin board..plus cabinet space and a door to put things on. I don't lack for space. Some of the rooms have more whiteboards and less BBds..and vice versa..I have two big whiteboards which I can attach maps or things too.

I don't know about the other schools, since none of them have been redone-I'm sure they can put things up. I'm not from this school district and this is my 3rd year in the district.

14. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2009

Wow! That is a really large room dcalhoun! You will have to post pics of your final result!

16. agsrule!

agsrule! Companion

Jul 30, 2009

I love your room as I have for the past few years now. I also teach 7th LA, and have my walls covered with posters, comic strips, quotes, and student work. My students love my room. They say that their other classes are boring. I think its great to watch them read my walls when I change out my comics, quotes, or posters half way through the year. Now it is troublesome when we have our many state testing days and I have to either cover or remove everything. It takes hours to cover it all.

I do have a question though. On your informational bulletin board there was a sign that said I'm allergic! What did the smaller print say? I'm curious because I have a couple of food allergies (nothing too severe unless I eat it, but I still don't want it in the room), and I will have an asthma attack if I inhale too much of that axe body spray stuff. But no matter how many times I say don't spray anything in here, they still do and claim they didn't know or they forgot. A sign on my info board may be useful.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2009

It says that they aren't allowed to have sharpie markers, body sprays, hairspray, or other highly-scented items in my my room.