My room is DONE

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissFroggy, Jun 20, 2008.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 20, 2008

I just finished- just now!

I cleaned everything AND rearranged the furniture in the way I will probably keep it for the fall. I wanted to do it early, because I will be out of town a lot and am having surgery so will need recuperation time and won't be able to lift and whatnot! Yay!

The thing I did NOT do was organize my bookshelves. I changed the books around a lot taking out anything that would be too hard for my younger level next year. That I will be able to do before school begins... I am SO relieved!

3. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jun 20, 2008

I wish I could do that. I am starting my fourth year next year and it will be my fourth classroom! Everything has to be boxed up to be moved. even if that was not the case, we have to move everything out of the way for cleaning and cannot start set up until the end of August. I am so jealous!!!!

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2008

Great! I wish I could do mine early. My room is being used for summer school and then has to be cleaned, waxed, etc. I'll be lucky if I get in the week before school starts.

No surgery, though, so I guess I can't complain. ;)

5. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Jun 20, 2008

Wow!!

I know that will be a relief for you when you return. :2up:

I am teaching summer school so each day when the kids leave I complete one task that I want done before school starts back. I currently working on by Birthday Board. I am doing all the things I didn't get to do last year since they painted my room at the last mitnute/right b/f school was to start so I didn't get to put up a job board, reading board, writing board-so now I have time to do it all. they are going to have to take everything out of my room to do the floors so I can't arrange things yet-but I already know where everything will go. I cleaned up all the piles I had:lol: The last week of SC I will make all the copies I will need for the first week of school

Wishing you a speedy recovery
    Enjoy your summer:cool:

6. lovemyjob

lovemyjob Rookie

Jun 20, 2008

You are very lucky to be able to set you room up so earlier. I am in the same boat as the other posters. Sometime in late August I will be able to go rearrange and set up after they have cleaned and waxed the floors.

Good luck on your surgery :hugs:

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 20, 2008

I am so jealous! As organized as I'm trying to be, I feel like everything is spinning around me at the moment. I won't be able to get into my room until the week before school starts, so I'm going to start making piles around our spare bedroom. Kudos, MissFroggy!

8. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 20, 2008

Good job, MissFroggy! I'll echo the others.... While I'm teaching summer school in my room, as soon as that's over, I have to move everything out of the way and cover everything else with butcher paper for hardcore cleaning (and painting, I hope!) and waxing. In the meantime, I'm putting together things I can back here at home, like the drawer system I'm setting up for my reading units.

9. little317

little317 Groupie

Jun 20, 2008

I can't really get in until August either. The floors are getting scrubbed and waxed. I would love to have it all done early, but I have to be patient and actually enjoy my summer.

10. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jun 20, 2008

My room is cleaned from top to bottom by the custodial staff, including my wooden floors being waxed. So I' not able to set up for the Fall. I'm glad this is done so I enter a spic and span room for the new year.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 20, 2008

I had things set up, but then everything is being moved out of the room for cleaning....you know everything won't be put back the way it was....oy.

12. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2008

Congratulations. It is such a good feeling to get everything done. I finished at about 1:30 today and am still in shock that the year is officially over. Now it's on to focusing on my wedding in 8 days! Eeeeek...

13. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 20, 2008

Out of curiosity, do you guys have to take everything off the walls and push all your furniture off to the side at the end of the school year? That's what I have to do every year so when I come in before school starts, I basically have to start from scratch.

14. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2008

This year we had to remove everything from the floor and pile it high on the attached shelves in the room because they are tearing up the carpet in order to put tiles down due to asbestos. A pain in the buns but it is a lot better at least I'm not moving rooms this year like I have for the last 4 years in a row!!

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2008

I just have to have everything off of the floor. They do not do anything with my walls during the break.

Congrats on finishing! I bet it is a relief!

16. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 20, 2008

Hmm. I wonder if we're having the same type of surgery. I don't know when yours is, but mine is scheduled the day we can get in to re-arrange our rooms (July 28th). I didn't really have a choice. It was either that or wait until Xmas break. So I'm just going to inlist the help of a couple of friends, and point and make them do all the work. :unsure:

17. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 20, 2008

Went to my room the other day, not much has been done, carpet is still musty & needs shampooing. I cleaned & threw junk away like crazy the last couple of days of school.

Good to get things done early, I hate to procrastinate.

18. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 20, 2008

I think I'll be able to get in the 3rd week in July to work. I'm moving next week because we're buying a house. I hope I can get everything in and unpacked in my new house before then.

Someone asked about what we have to do at the end of the year. We have to get everything off the tile section of floor and stacked up so they can move it easily back to the tile after the floors are stripped but before the carpet's cleaned. Our previous principal (two years ago) made us take everything down from the walls but our new principal left before the last week of school so we didn't do that this year.

MissFroggy--Congrats on getting your room done! I hope everything goes well with your surgery.

19. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2008

wow; you're so lucky! On our last school day, before we could leave, we had a list of "things to do" set up by the principal. We couldn't pick up our check until everything was done! Things like: move furniture to the middle of the room; shelves & teacher desk must be cleaned off, turn in keys, etc...
    You are indeed lucky! Good for you!:up:

20. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jun 20, 2008

I had to leave my room that way...even the teachers staying had to...kinda strange. I was told is was for cleaning....

21. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jun 20, 2008

I have been in my room, but just to drop stuff off. It is so quite and I am still buying stuff. I am also waiting for all the stuff to arrive, since we are a new school. The first I went I had boxes in my room. The second time, the desk were set and it was cool. I took pics! The room felt so much smaller with everything in it, I am a little worried, I know how the bodies can make a room feel, too!

I was hoping to go in and get serious on the 12th of July but my moving plans are changing so, I may go in sooner and get started...being that I am new to the district I have to report on July 21st! :eek: Of course that will not be at my school....!

Where does the time go????

I am so happy for you, Miss Froggy! Hope you have a speedy recovery, too!

22. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 20, 2008

Wishing you the best with surgery. Nice to have your room ready.

23. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 20, 2008

Someone will teach summer school in the room, but then after that all I will have to do is stack the chairs and put plastic over the shelves. My room will be deep cleaned too, but there is no furniture to move.

I still have to do the posters, bulletin boards and anything having to do with the actual students who will be in the room, since I don't have a class list yet.

24. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 20, 2008

pictures of my room

http://community.webshots.com/album/563862040ykoBVm?vhost=community

It's a little bare, but for now everything is sorted and organized. Because I am shifting levels I had to box up TONS of books and games that I thought would be too hard for the kids. That took the most time, and just cleaning out the clutter that had built up since September.

In August, I will label the kids things, put up some little posters and do more decorating stuff. I should be well enough to do that kind of thing, or I can bring in some 'workers' to do it for me.

25. SnoopyTeacher

SnoopyTeacher Companion

Jun 20, 2008

Congratulations on getting your room done! I am so jealous of your windows!!! :2up: They are amazing! I do not have ANY windows in my room. :eek:

26. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 20, 2008

I love your windows, too! They really brighten up your room. I like how neat and organized your room looks!

27. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2008

What a great room. I love all of the light and the windows you have!!! It looks sooo cozy!!!!!!

28. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2008

What a large room, Miss Froggy! I envy you! You are so lucky that you can leave your things out throughout the year...we put our stuff away DAILY!! It is such a pain in the neck. Daycare uses our room and unfortunately has gotten into our stuff. :(

also, you know that "pole" you have in your room...I had one in my old classroom and the new teacher turned it into a tree!!! Awesome! Just an idea. :)

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2008

All furniture (including file cabinets, bookshelves, teacher desk) come out of the classroom into the hall. Everything that stays in the room must be off of the floor, but there still needs to be access to the sink so the counter beside the sink can only be half-full. The teacher desks need to be tipped up to get them out of the door, so they need to be emptied (or else everything is all over the place) and our file cabinets need to be half-emptied. Lots of work next week getting ready for the summer. We can get back into our classrooms the last week in August.

30. stavb

stavb Rookie

Jun 21, 2008

I love the photos. Thanks for sharing!

31. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 22, 2008

I'm in the process of switching rooms. What a pain it is. You should see the room I'm going into. I have just started to make a garbage pile in the center of the room. The teacher before me stapled 8 1/2 x 11 pieces of paper as bulletin board background. It's such a pain to take down. I'm ready to scream! Of course my personality doesn't allow me to just sit and complete one thing so I've started to take down the bulletin board paper, clean out three closets, put up some of my bulletin board, move things over from the other room. Nothing is completed.....just halfway started. I work better that way oddly enough. ;)

32. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 22, 2008

That's exactly how I work. For a few days this week everything in my room was on the floor or on top of the tables. I would start a job and move onto something else. However, after a few years in the same school, amazingly it ONLY took a week this time. Before it was taking 3 weeks or so to straighten everything out. I have had 2 new rooms.