my "room" is a section of hallway

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by BabyAngel, Aug 8, 2007.

1. BabyAngel

BabyAngel Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

Help! I won't have an actual room, just a part of the hallway. My new school is way overcrowded. i know I'm getting a new kidney shaped table and new chairs and I have a desk. I won't know until Friday what kind of space I'm looking at, but I'd appreciate any ideas to make it homey. I'm thinking carts for storing supplies, decorating the walls, maybe a rug and some shelves. I'm hoping for a big space, but any ideas if it's smaller?

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2007

How are you being sectioned off from the hallway?

Go for plastic storage (the three drawers and others) if you're in that very small space.

4. BabyAngel

BabyAngel Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

I'm not really sure how they're handling it. I've been in the school before and the hallways are fairly large, but I don't know where I'm going and if I'm sectioned off or not. I will find out on Friday when I go and will be able to ask for more specific suggestions. It took me almost a month to get a hold of someone at my new school. I just found out today I have K-2 learning support (but no K kids have been identified yet, so I'm basically getting 1st and 2nd). I have several rolling carts and I think if I have the space I will use one for my stuff and 1 for stuff that's available to the kids.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2007

Do the kids come to you, or are you inclusion (basically)? Are you more of an area to store items, or a classroom?

Wow... it would be strange not being able to lock up items. Try to find storage that locks, too.

6. BabyAngel

BabyAngel Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

The kids will be coming to me for remedial reading and probably testing and modification. Other times, I will be in included classrooms. The is my fourth year in the district, doing basically the same thing just at a different grade level, but it is the first time I'm not going to have a "base" at which I can "land" and a classroom where my stuff is contained and I can teach.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 9, 2007

You need to get some kind of cupboard that locks, like Ms. Jasztal said. I would not leave all my things in a hallway, even if there were partitions up. When I taught in a very rough neighborhood, I had this cupboard that had a padlock. I would put anything I cared about in there at night. Ask the principal to order you something if there isn't anything already there. It has to be big enough that someone won't walk off with it (at first I was thinking a cute little storage locker that look like trunks-- they come in bright colors now.) You could do one of those as well, but a large cabinent or something is vital. Especially if you leave to pick up kids. What would you do with your purse, keys, grade book, etc?

I'm sorry this happened.... decorate with tons of posters and plants and maybe a rug to define your space. I interviewed at a school that was so overcrowded they turned the gym into classrooms. The teachers had partitians to divide up the space... needless to say, I declined the offer.

8. BabyAngel

BabyAngel Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

Keys are an issue, but I taught in some pretty rough schools, so I never take my purse in. I lock it in my car. This school is in a "nicer" area, but it is impoverished. I learned the year I taught in the high school and had almost every supply (including about a dozen Sharpie markers and a little makeup bag I kept for touch ups!) stolen from me. I try to do things on a budget now, so there's not much I'd need to lock up. I will have a desk, so hopefully it will have locking drawers. I've wanted to be in this particular school for the past 4 years, so I'm going to make the best of it. I also love that I'll have the little ones. I had HS my first year and 7th graders the last two years with this district and if I never see another hormonal teenage besides my own, it will be too soon. LOL!

9. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Aug 9, 2007

That's strange that they would put you in the hallway. Our school doesn't like us even talking with students or parents in the hallways for confidentiality reasons.

10. BabyAngel

BabyAngel Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

I think it's a matter of desperation. This building and several others in the district are over-utilized, while some are under-utilized. They're neighborhood schools, so everyone wants to be in "their" own neighborhood. The district does boundary exceptions, but this is one of the better schools/neighborhoods, so no one wants to "boundary out", just in. The confidentiality issues bother me, but I'm not going to complain. I wanted this building desperately, so I'm not looking to make problems. I'll just try to make it as private and homey as possible and hope that the expansion happens over the summer so I have a room next year.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 9, 2007

Hmmm... if I were you, I might be making an anonymous call to the local news, or getting someone in my extended family or friends network to do it.

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2007

In the hallway??!! How are you supposed to test kids let alone teach? And of course it would have to be the kids who need so much help. I think the principal ought to give up his office for being a weenie about not putting a moritorium on transfer students while the school is waiting for expansion. Our county did just that while we wait for a new elementary to be built.

Since I'm sure he won't give it up, how about a rug in addition to the other ideas? It might help define the space and muffle sound.

13. BabyAngel

BabyAngel Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

Thanks for the great suggestions. I met the Principal today and she's really awesome. Anything I need (budget gets frozen in September, so basically she's telling me if I want any particular things, to let her know early). Honestly, she probably would give up her office, but it would do no good - I'd have less space, and there are three of us that would have to share. She was truly apologetic and has insured me that if there are issues with the arrangement, she will address them immediately.

I went and bought some decorations and have started looking at rugs. I'm going to do a monkey theme and I think I'll try to make a smaller version of the Chicka Chicka tree to add a punch of fun.

14. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Aug 10, 2007

Wow, I am sorry for you.

You really should think about contact the local news. How are these kids going to concentrate?!

Post a picture for us, I interested to see what great work you can do in a hallway. I'm sure that you will make it the best it can be.

Hey, at least you have a roof over your head. Things can be worse ;)

15. Andibee

Andibee Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

Fire code violations?

How is being in a hallway going to fly with the local fire marshall? We have strict laws about what can or more specifically cannot be in the hallways for safety purposes.

16. BabyAngel

BabyAngel Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

We have to make sure we're not so far into the hallway that we aren't blocking fire egress. I know that it's happening in more than one district building. I also know that it's been written up in the paper to fight for changes within the district. I'm pretty stuck with what I've got. Like CLZTEACH said, at least I have a roof, lol!

I will post pics as soon as I get set up. I'm ready!

17. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Aug 11, 2007

My mother taught school for three years in the late 50's. She never had an actual classroom! One year she taught on the stage, one year in the teacher's lounge and one year like this in the end of a hallway. I guess that explains why she left teaching and never went back!!

18. JRR

JRR Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Bless you!!!! I can't imagine. I think you have a very positive attitude about a crummy situation. I applaud you!!! I think with that attitude you'll make it absolutely wonderful for your kiddos! Way to go! I think a monkey theme is PERFECT!!! I'm sure the kids will LOVE it! Target has a lot of monkey stuff in the kids bedding section!

19. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

I keep trying to picture where you are going to be teaching. I think I would have to have bookshelves to block off the students who are passing by. Maybe vines hanging from the ceiling if the fire marshall doesn't have a fit. I think you could make it cozy, and I really like the monkey theme. It's kind of an inside joke, like "This place is a zoo!" or "Quit monkeying around and build another school!" Bless you and your children. I'm sure you'll make it into an adventure.