My room has no windows!!!!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by COMrs.S, Jul 1, 2008.

1. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Jul 1, 2008

Hi new teachers,

I don't know if anyone could help but my room has no windows, lack of bulletin board space and a lack of shelves. I want to try to post my pictures that way someone could offer me any suggestions but I can't post attachments yet. If anyone could give me any advice in the mean time, I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much!:)

3. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 1, 2008

Wow--- I can't imagine that. You could "make" a window, by putting up a frame, with curtains, and a picture of outside behind it... I have heard of that before. And you could put up corkboard to help with the bulletin board space, if your school allows.

I am sorry to hear that you don't have windows, though.... bleh. :(

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2008

Upload your pictures into photobucket.com and then you can post them here.

5. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2008

I have several old sash-type windows frames (with glass still intact) that I used for a photo display.

Perhaps you could hang something similar on the wall with a poster behind it to look like you have a window with a view? You could always rotate the posters so the "scenery" changes :)

Also, you might try using "daylight" bulbs in any lamps in your classroom to simulate outdoor light.

6. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 1, 2008

Maybe you could take mirrors and "frame" them so they look like windows? That would make your room feel bigger and not so boxed in.

Do you have an extra whiteboard that you won't need? You can transform an extra whiteboard into a bulletinboard by just putting up cardboard over it. I had to do that in my classroom because I didn't have a bulletin board.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2008

It looks like a MS/HS room to me.

Shelving can be somewhat easy. Talk to your administration. I know we are allowed to put in requests, as my classroom had nothing to start with as well. If not, IKEA has some useful things!

Honestly, I like windows, but in other ways, I think it would be easier with out them! Less distracting for the kids, and more wall space. Just make sure your room is filled with colorful displays and you may completely forget about it! If you have some ideas for BBs that you won't change all year (or maybe once), you can just tape the paper to the wall, put a border around it and tape everything up.

8. Teach2reach

Teach2reach Rookie

Jul 1, 2008

Sorry to hear that, I guess your job this summer should be to really "spice" up and liven up the room. Make sure to include a lot of yellow,blue, green etc. Outdoor colors...imagination is the key :)

9. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Jul 1, 2008

I had a room with no windows for the past two years. It is sometimes a good thing...the kids are less distracted on that first day of snowfall :) I liked the idea of making a bulletin board to look like a window.

This year I got lucky...we're adding two brand new constructed classrooms to our building and since I now have seniority...I'm moving to a window room!

10. Teach2reach

Teach2reach Rookie

Jul 1, 2008

Exactly! Make the bulletin board change with the seasons...update the window...that almost sounds better than a window filled with distractions...think positive!

11. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 1, 2008

Go to the thrift shop and buy shelves cheap. Garage Sales.

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 1, 2008

I had to turn down a job at one school, because the classroom had no windows and it was dark! I knew I wouldn't be happy there. I didn't tell them why, but I suffer from seasonal depression, and I knew that being in that windowless room would make me feel very uneasy and depressed.

Anything you can do to liven it up will be a great asset!!! The seasonal bulletin board sounds like a great idea.

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2008

The room is quite bland. I think that you can make it look a lot better by adding some color. Maybe choose a bright background for your bulletin boards, ask if you can pain a wall, find some bright posters. After you add some color it should start to look a lot better.

14. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 1, 2008

Add some lamps, posters, get your library arranged and decorate your BB.

15. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 1, 2008

My room doesn't have any windows either. I bought a fake bulletin board window that has different scenes for each season to hang instead :lol. I also have a lamp. a set of jewel lights (like christmas lights), and a hanging paper lantern in different areas of the classroom. They made a huge difference! I use bright fabric backing for my calendar bulletin board to bring in some cheer :2up:

16. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 2, 2008

Thats a good idea, but what if she just wants the fresh area from outside or to see if its wet out ? I know sometimes in my classrooms I work in the air is broken and we need something in the warmer mos. like may, aug. , sept. I know tho that this is not something that can be helped. I am so sry that you don't have any windows. About the wall space for BB's take that as just less work for you to have to make lots of em' and use the door as a BB too .

17. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2008

I also have no windows but I do have a very large door with a window to the hallway on the one side. I use gels to decorate that window. I agree that it is nice that kids are not distracted by the weather. I have a poster that looks like a window from an old bulletin board set (as seen on Full House) that I have on the wall by my desk. It's a running joke through the year with my students. Anything you can laugh about becomes a positive!

18. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

Thank you all so much for your ideas and suggestions!!! I have decided to do a frog theme for my room and I want to incorporate vivid colors like bright green, blue, purple, and yellow. I found an awesome 4x6 shaggy green rug at Target that would be perfect. I will definitely post pictures when I am finished (won't be for a while) to let you all see what I have made out of my room. I love the "window" that goes with the seasons idea. I think I also want to put in a lot of fake plants and warm lamps to brighten up the room even more. I am afraid to do real ones because of the situation. Thanks so much everyone!!! :2up:

19. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jul 2, 2008

I don't have any windows either. When I was hired and saw my room, the first thing I thought about was that there weren't windows and how it may be depressing. I try to make sure to have a couple fans to keep the air moving. I teach resource so I'm not in my room all day long for which I'm glad. I also try to get to other rooms that have windows if at all possible. After a while, I just plain forget about it as I am busy!!

I know that having no windows is a saving to schools because of loss of heat/cooling, etc. But research shows that sunlight really does enhance learning.

Good luck!!

20. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 2, 2008

Instead of faux windows, why not put up a large mural poster? Can you imagine something like this on one of your walls?
    [​IMG]

You could add dimension to this by putting potted plants in front of it. This particular poster is 12'9" x 8'10" and sells for $74.99.

Here is a link to a website that sells wall sized posters:
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.berlinwallpaper.com/murals/Komar/Images/8-047.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.berlinwallpaper.com/murals/KM_Waterfall2.htm&h=473&w=600&sz=70&hl=en&start=9&um=1&tbnid=9YKKkWR6MsgooM:&tbnh=106&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlarge%2Bforest%2Bmural%2Bposter%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial%26sa%3DG

P.S. If your school won't reimburse you for the expense of this poster, keep the receipt. You can add it to your next income tax return as a work related deductible expense.

21. I_love_turtles

I_love_turtles Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

Holy Cow! This could be my new classroom except that I think mine is smaller. :) My room last year had windows with a beautiful view and now I'm moving into something that looks like a dungeon. I am thinking about the artificial window. I do love the full wall mural idea even better though. That waterfall is absolutely gorgeous!

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2008

My windows are painted shut, so I don't get fresh air. I'm sure there are lots of teachers in that situation. I wouldn't worry about that aspect!

But, I thought of another pro- Lockdowns!!! Much easier to lock down a room without windows ;)

23. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Jul 3, 2008

And with the recent tornadic activity in my area, my room would be a great shelter for the kids! :)

24. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 3, 2008

Wow, that is a dark, fluorescent room.

Can you paint the walls? Using blue paint and/or fabric, posters, artwork along with hanging plants will make it much more learning friendly. Also, can you bring in incandescent lighting? Fluorescent overhead lights and no windows are a recipe for eye fatigue and a dreadful learning environment.

25. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2008

Sometimes windows aren't all they're cracked up to be. Especially if your like me and have only one window that faces the window to the class across the hall. One day the kids across the hall had a sub and they opened the window to pull in snow. While I was dealing with that situation I look out of the window to see my kids in my window going nuts trying to find out what was going on. That was a great afternoon.

26. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 4, 2008

Your room looks huge! You have a lot of versatility in your room and will be able to do TONS of great stuff with it.

I don't have windows in my room and prefer that based on what the classrooms with windows look like. They're not the big picture windows that I see in a lot of classroom pics that are posted on th esite, but just little squares that are taking away walls space to post stuff on.

27. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Jul 7, 2008

I feel for you!
    Last year being my first, I was the newbie that was placed in the windowless room!
    I painted my bookshelves a bright blue, made sure all decorations were bright as could be, had a rainbow-themed BB and took at least one break outside a day (weather permitting).

I found that communicating to the students that you "feel their pain" eases the stress that lack of sunlight can bring.

Oh, and a fun idea! On the first snowfall of the season, my students and I trekked to a neighboring teacher's room (decked out in our scarves, hats, gloves) and with the lights off (so we only had the white-glow of the fresh snow)....we read White Snow Bright Snow.
    I get the CHILLS thinking about that moment!

I am sure you are creative and brilliant and will MAKE IT WORK! Keep a positive attitude and so will your students.

28. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

update on the room with no windows

I purchased a few things that will help brighten up my room. I got an awesome rug at Target that has squares of green, blue, yellow, purple and red; I also ordered some colorful chair pockets from ebay and Dollar tree had colorful baskets! I will post pictures when I am finished with it that way you can all see the amazing transformation. ;)

Wouldn't it be neat if there was a Teacher's edition of Trading Spaces or While You Were Out ? :lol:

29. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

Hey, that's a neat idea! I can just imagine what they'd do!

I'm going into my 3rd year as a para, and my room has no windows, either. It's the second smallest room in the school. We have 13 desks in there, and it's cramped!! Anyway, the teacher last year put up a wall poster of a mountain lake scene in early fall with curtains around it, and it really made a difference. All year long, people were commenting on the poster. After I graduate and get my own classroom, if my room has no windows, I'm definitely doing the window mural!

30. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Jul 16, 2008

There was a teacher's edition of one of those. They made over a science teacher's room. I can't remember exactly what it was but they made him this booth of some kind that his students went into to have their pictures taken. With stars may be?

I wish I didn't have any windows. I have a small classroom with no air conditioning. We have to open the large windows. But I feel like the window police. I am on the second floor and I worry about the students falling out (the screens would not hold them for a second). I try not to let the kids near the windows but we are so squashed there are not much options. When it is so crazy hot the students want to be as close as possible and tend to lean in. They are not being bad-they are hot! Last year, I even had to close the windows one hot summer day to get my point across!

31. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Jul 18, 2008

I love those big murals. I have the skyline one called Manhatten Lights in my basement. :) If I had a big empty wall in my classroom i would LOVE to put one of those up.

32. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Jul 18, 2008

Everyone has such good ideas. It is such a big room, there are so many possabilities. The biggest thing would be to add color, lots of color. One way you could look at it is that you have plenty of space to hang student work. In my old room my one wall was a metal bifold door, I bought some magnets and hung student work all over it. Hang things of interest, you may even want to get your kids input.

33. lajones81

lajones81 Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

I was in a windowless room for my first three years of teaching. In fact, my room looks pretty much like yours except I think my room was about 1/2 to 3/4 the size of yours. I love color anyways so I had a wonderful time decorating the classroom with colorful bulletin boards. My room was in the basement of the school in the inner most part of the school, as well. We had a few kids who were very scared of rain, thunder, etc. and often the school nurse would ask if they could pop down for a few minutes. I didn't mind at all, as it gave the kids some "visual" relief and, frankly, I never mind who comes into my room. Best of luck with your new room! I know I sure loved mine! :)

34. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2008

:) - you have a HUGE room!!! Lots of great wall space!

:( - no windows; that's ok; I was in a classroom for 7 years without a window; and didn't miss it until I got a classroom with 2 windows the following year. The teacher who moved into my old room "added a window" by painting one! Really cute; she put it in the "kitchen area".

I'm jealous! you have one heck of a huge room; how many students are on your roster?

35. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I only have 20. I've been working on my room for the last few days and I have made so much progress!!!! I will post pictures when I am finished! :D

36. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Aug 5, 2008

I know it isn't quite the same since I'm in a high school setting, but I can definitely emphathize with you on the lack of windows. :(

I don't have any in my room either. I have to work really hard to make sure it doesn't look like an institution. I try to always keep it fresh by rotating student work on the walls.

37. trina

trina Companion

Aug 5, 2008

I teach in a windowless room, and I've learned QUICKLY to always have a flashlight in an easy to grab spot because when the power goes out (storms, cars hitting power poles outside, etc) the kids go nuts in the absolute dark.

Another plus (for me teaching science) is that when we demonstrate certain concepts and have activities that require darkness, it's really fun! We punch holes in the bottoms of clean food cans, shine a flashlight up in them and project constellations on the ceiling.

I don't worry about having a "fake" window. I decorate just decorate well.

38. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

My room is basically windowless. There is only one way in the back corner of the room. No air conditioning either. Last year was awfully uncomfortable as temps went over 90 degrees on some days. We start in 2 weeks. I bout some new fans to move some air.

39. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 8, 2008

Mrs. Math - I too have a windowless room. This past year the building was painted and I now have gray-white walls instead of the old tan - what a difference in the lighting! I use bright colored paper on the bulletin board and on the sliding wall. I also have LIVE plants in the room. Choose ones that do well in indirect or low light like snake plants, pothos, ivy, chinese evergreen... I also have a male beta fish in a clear glass vase that has a plant in it. Betas breathe air from the surface of the water so you don't need a filter. The kids love it. It adds a bit of nature to the room.