My Resume Writing Tips

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by BioAngel, Aug 29, 2010.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 29, 2010

I got a very nice request from a member today to share my resume and writing tips. Since I don't want to post any personal information here online, I thought I'd at least share some tips in hopes that they can help another teacher (or two) out.

(It's my huge THANK YOU to the A to Z community for helping me with student teaching and my first two years of professional teaching :wub: I also have to thank my Mom because she's a wonderful resume writer (she did it professionally for awhile) and did a great job on mine.)

So this is what I shared...

1. Stick to classic font and around 10/11 size font--- some people say to do something different and bold, but we're professional educators, not artists.

2. At the top, centered, I have my name in larger font size (16) and bolded so it does stand out. I included my home address, number, and e-mail address. (Make sure your email address is appropriate... not like "jerseyangel" which is one of my old ones ).

3. To organize my resume I used capitalized words and bolded... this is the order I used:
    OBJECTIVE
    EDUCATION
    HONORS
    RELATED EXPERIENCE
    SKILLS/INTERESTS

4. Keep the objective simple. It should be something you can just copy and send off, not something that you will need to change every time you send out a resume (otherwise you run the risk of messing something up).

I was looking for a science teaching position, so my says "To obtain a meaningful and challenging teaching position in the subject of general science or biological science."

Some people gear their objective to what they can do for the school, I geared mine towards what I want personally. So you'll need to decide which one you would prefer to use.

5. In every section, you must SELL yourself. Over do-it (within reason) than just putting down a school name and leaving out details.

For example... my education section is something like this:
    SCHOOL NAME
    Bachelor of Science in Adolescent Education in Biology, January 2008, GPA
    (Courses: Principles of Chemistry, Marine Biology, Curriculum & Assessment, Literacy in the Classroom, Adolescent Psychology)
    New York State Teaching Certified in Biology, Grades 7-12

^^^ So they know exactly where I went, what my degree is, what my GPA is, and that I have a license to teach. I also included courses that I think really help stand out-- see: I know science and I took education courses. It says so much more than just a college name that way.

Do the same with your related experience section. Here's an example of mine:
    School Name, Town, State
    Classroom Teacher, General Science, Grade 5, September 2008- June 2010

-- Planned for and engagingly taught four sections of general science within the 5th grade (approximately 60 students) using inquiry-based curriculum (STC and FOSS)
    -- Increased student engagement by using Web 2.0 tools, such as blogs, wiki’s, and discussion forums, to explain scientific processes such as germination, chemical reactions, and heat transfer
    -- Assessed student’s learning through science notebooks (among other methods) and provided personal feedback through a commenting system
    Designed age-appropriate activities to help support the development of students within an homeroom advisory program. Activities included “How to Prevent Cyberbullying” and “Dealing with Conflicts: Creating Win-Win Situations”
    Communicated with parents about the progress of their child within monthly contacts
    -- Attended ISTE’s NECC 2009 Conference to learn about technology instruction in the classroom

DETAILS DETAILS DETAILS. Since this was the first school I technically worked in (I do have some online tutoring and student teaching listed on my resume) I had to play it up majorly. So adding a detailed description of everything I did (include assisting in school events, attending professional conferences, etc) really provides a good picture of me as a professional.

6. Honors-- I included all professional groups that I have joined. I am a member of 4 different groups, so if you're not a member yet check out which ones you can join nationally, internationally, and in your state. I joined science and technology groups. Also, if you had any special awards in college included that too (I had an outstanding portfolio award that I included).

7. Interests/Skills--- I mainly focused on my tech capabilities in this section, something I'm personally really proud of since the students really love using various tech tools to be engaged in lessons. You can do really anything in here--- maybe you want to coach a sport, or lead a certain club, etc. You really want to sell yourself here to show the school what you are bringing to THEM/what you can provide the school.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions, let me know. Good luck to all the job searchers! :thumb:

3. Simba

Simba Comrade

Aug 29, 2010

Thank you!!!

4. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 29, 2010

I'm curious how you format the skills/interests section. I was thinking of adding this, but didn't know how to organize it. Thanks!!

5. BioAngel

Aug 30, 2010

I just made a bulleted list of extra stuff that I wasn't able to list under a related experience or honors in that area. I related all of mine to technology use in my classroom-- I would stick to teacher stuff and not personal interests (like gardening, cooking, SHOPPING :lol:).

6. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 30, 2010

How many pages is it? I've been told to stick to one page, and I can't fit much on that.

7. NCALIFTeacher

NCALIFTeacher Rookie

Aug 30, 2010

Stick to one page and choose to highlight the areas you consider as your strengths. I have five categories on mine: education, professional experience, supportive experience, activities (volunteering, membership, etc.) and certifications listed across the very bottom.

Try to have friends/colleagues provide you with feedback, but in the end make it YOUR resume. Also don't be afraid to tweak it as you go.

8. BioAngel

Aug 30, 2010

I know that EVERYBODY says to stick to one page, but honestly there was no way I could accurately show all the important stuff I've done on one page. Mine is two pages, but I think the way it is organized really makes the reader comfortable--- everything is a list with short statements.

9. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 30, 2010

Bio, NCALIFT Thank you!:)

10. BioAngel

Aug 31, 2010

You're welcome :)

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2010

Another tip....I heard the author of 'What Color is Your Parachute?' on the radio today. He said 75% of employers check online when making hiring decisions and that information about/pictures of candidates on sites such as Facebook has been the downfall of many a candidate. I haven't heard of my school checking social networks for job candidates, but it's something to consider....

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2010

Before our seniors graduate, they're warned that they can expect employers to check those sites.

As such, I would be STUNNED if my administration didn't do so.

13. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 31, 2010

I had several applications that asked if I participated in social networking sites and to list them.

14. jenneke607

jenneke607 Rookie

Sep 1, 2010

At our orientation this week, the head of HR for the district informed us that she and her staff "google all candidates" prior to final hiring decisions -- and that this policy has prevented several candidates from advancing. I would definitely be careful with what you post, and double check privacy settings if you are on any social networking sites!

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2010

First day of school today- new internet/technology policies have been adopted by our board. Among them is the periodic checking by administration of the social sites for 'appropriate' usage by staff members...Just another caveat to members here to not reveal too much about yourselves (here on the forums and elsewhere).

16. jenneke607

jenneke607 Rookie

Sep 1, 2010

Excellent advice! Depending on the district, parents might already be doing this... I guess it's better for the admin to be preemptive rather than reactive. I have had parents confess to looking me up before. (One mentioned an embarrassing "quote of the week" website I was on in high school. Yikes! I am glad I keep a clean profile in general, and that googling me won't reveal much more than employment history and work-related projects.)

17. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Sep 2, 2010

Asking me if I'm on a social networking site is like asking if my kids have a TV in their room. They do. But they are only allowed to watch movies on them once a week. One or two movies, once a week.

Am I on social networking site? Yes, I have an account. I got my account in 2006 and had it for 3.5 years before anyone of my friends realized it. I registered b/c I wanted to keep up with the technology and wanted to know what it was all about. I don't post on it, and it is as private as I can make it.

18. BioAngel

Sep 2, 2010

STAY ON TOPIC :p lol

I know my school at least Googled me because they found some of my teacher stuff online that I did not share with them in my interview packet. (All good of course)

And at a tech workshop this week, one of the tech guy's history popped up on the screen and showed that he had googled me too. (I was really embarrassed about it because he tried hiding it off the screen too)

19. NCALIFTeacher

NCALIFTeacher Rookie

Sep 2, 2010

Ah, the wonderful world of social networking sites :D I was surprised to see my local school district's admins/superintendents on facebook! (but seriously they didn't have anything remotely interesting so :rolleyes:) Just use good common sense of what you have out there and be aware that there is always(!) someone who could be checking.

Okay, sorry BioAngel... didn't mean to stray off-topic :blush: ;)

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2010

Private won't protect you. Our district lawyer shared case law in which a school board's decision to terminate a teacher over FB pictures depicting her 'social life' was upheld on appeal. That teacher had used the site's privacy features....:eek:

21. BioAngel

Sep 3, 2010

Makes you really wonder what the heck she was doing in her social life to be fired. :unsure:

22. itsmejenni

itsmejenni Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

I do not have a social website subscription, would you recommend it?

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2010

I doesn't have to be any thing bad-- just the appearance of bad.

You know the saying: "A picture is worth a thousand words." The problem is that you don't get to choose the words that people use when they see that picture.

Venting too much about your school? Youre a chronic complainer. A picture of you holding a beer? You're promoting drinking, and you teach minors. A picture of you in a bathing suit? You're an exhibitionist. Andit doesn't have to be on YOUR page or with YOUR knowledge.

And forget about the things that really ARE bad. We've all seen things posted here on A to Z that start a flurry of PM's, along with a series of "Delete that!!!" posts. But of course, by then it's too late; once it's been posted online, you can assume it's been quoted elsewhere.

Think of what we know about some of the members here: who they sleep with, who has a DUI, and who hates their administration. Know how easy it is to detemine who they really are. Then look at it from the point of view of an administator looking to hire a teacher from a field of at least several hundred applicants. Very often, the job would go to someone else.

Fair??? Absolutely not. But that's the reality of the world in which we live.

24. resumetemp00

resumetemp00 New Member

Mar 27, 2011

Thank you for posting this. It was a big help.

25. BioAngel

Mar 30, 2011

I forgot about writing this--- glad it was of use for you :thumb: