My resume ( help would be appreciated

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by RobertTexasMath, Feb 3, 2013.

1. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Feb 3, 2013

Below is my resume. I know I need to add more bullets under my teachin experience. Any other advice would be appreciated

CERTIFICATION
    Texas State Certification, History, Grades 8-12
    Texas State Certification, Social Studies, Grades 4-8
    Texas State Certification, Math, Grades 4-8
    Texas State Certification, Math, Grades 8-12

EDUCATION
    The University of ****** ******, City, TX
    Masters of Education, Secondary Education, May 2005
    **** College, City, TX
    Bachelor of Arts, , May 1994
    The University of ***********, City, TX
    Additional studies in mathematics, no degree

TEACHING EXPERIENCE********* High School, City, TX
    Teacher, August 2010 to Present
    Algebra II, Geometry, Math Models, Applied Math, World History

• Make use of technology such as Cabri 3D, Geometer’s Sketchpad, GeoGebra, and the Desmos Graphing Calculator to reach students with diverse learning styles

• Use elements of The Flipped Classroom model to improve feedback to students of their assessments through video

• Classroom management strategies
    ******** High School, City, TX
    Teacher August 2009-May 2010
    Geometry, Precalculus
    ****** High School, City, TX
    Student Teacher, October 2004-December 2004
    Advanced Placement United States History
    ******* **** Middle School, Keller, TX
    Student Teacher, August 2004-October 2004
    Texas History, United States History

EMPLOYMENT
    *********, City, TX
    Product Test Engineer, October 2005-July 2009
    ************, City. TX
    Electronic Technician, March 1989-April 2003
    United States *******, City, TX
    Electronic Technician, August 1983-April 1987

ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND TRAINING
    • • Basic Java programming skills
    • • Microsoft Office
    Adobe Suite

VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE/HONORS/MEMBERSHIPS
    • • Member of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
    • • Member of the Mathematical Association of America
    • • Member of the American Historical Association
    • • Coached Select, Pony, and Little League Baseball for 7 seasons
    • • Received Exceptional Performance awards while employed at ******* in 1995, 2001, and 2003
    • • Received the Master Technician Award while employed by the United States ****** in 1986

3. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Feb 3, 2013

Eek, this really needs an overhaul. First, I think you need to list an objective. Then, maybe you could lump some of your certs together, and maybe list them by name ( TExES)? They are taking up way too much real estate. For example, you can probably just say that you are certified in Math 4-12 instead of having them listed separately.

Your education section is also taking up way too much space. For example, a simple:

B.A. Psychology, University of Texas at Austin, 2010
    M.A. Education, Rice University, Houston, TX 2012

Will suffice.

I also think you can take out your additional study since you did not earn a degree for it.
    Then, your teaching experience. I think you need to add information about the student population you worked with, some successes you made, etc. Also, you are kind of all over the place with your job experience. I would focus more on your education related jobs and experience/training. Have you taken any professional development on multiple intelligences/Kagan/Wong, etc.? Are you familiar with teaching programs such as eSchool, Teacher Access Center and Eduphoria? Those would be more advantageous to list than Java and Office.

Just a few ideas. Hopefully someone else will jump in with more.

4. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Feb 3, 2013

Thank you Luv2TeachInTX
    I changed my certs to
    Texas State Certification, Math and History, Grades 8-12
    Texas State Certification, Math and Social Studies, Grades 4-8
    and my education to
    Masters of Education, Secondary Education, University **, City, TX, May 2005
    Bachelor of Arts, Biblical Studies, *****, City, TX, May 1994
    I did delete the additional studies. I had that in their because I don't have a degree in math. So I wanted to show I did course work in math.

I am struggling with an objective. I will include one when I can send a resume to a specific job. I would like to teach middle school history but I my best chances are with math. I don't want to loose consideration for a math job because I stated I was seeking a middle school history position or the other way around.

5. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Feb 3, 2013

I also added a Professional Development section
    PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
    • The Flipped Classroom with Johnathan Bergmann and Aaron Sams, Lovejoy ISD, August 2012
    • Reasoning And Sense Making In High School Mathematics, National Council of Mathematics, July 2012
    • Differentiating Math Instruction in the Secondary Classroom with Dr. Nanci Smith Lovejoy ISD, July 2012
    • The Marshall Immersion Workshop, The George C. Marshall International Center in Leesburg VA, July 2011
    • Mathematics: Pre-AP High School, Texas Christian University, June 2011

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2013

Titles of pd training might be enough unless those presenters are particularly well known 'gurus'.:2cents:

7. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Feb 3, 2013

Updated version. My bullets under Teaching Experience are in a very rough draft. Just my thoughts. I do need to do a lot on the wording of them.
    Thank you for all of the help so far and for those who will.

CERTIFICATION
    Texas State Certification, Math and History, Grades 8-12
    Texas State Certification, Math and Social Studies, Grades 4-8

EDUCATION
    Masters of Education, Secondary Education, *****, City, TX, May 2005
    Bachelor of Arts, Biblical Studies, ******, City, TX, May 1994

TEACHING EXPERIENCE***** High School, ******, TX
    Teacher, August 2010 to Present
    Pre-AP Algebra II, Algebra II, Geometry, Math Models, Applied Math
    • Make use of technology such as Cabri 3D, Geometer’s Sketchpad, GeoGebra, and the Desmos Graphing Calculator to reach students with diverse learning styles
    • Supplied students with video of their tests being graded and the opportunity to make corrections to achieve greater individualized feedback and student mastery
    • Lead students to a deeper conceptual understanding of mathematical concepts through hands on projects and inquiry based instruction.
    • Strong classroom management strategies
    • Had great success working with a very diverse student population both ethnically and academically, with 100% of Pre-AP Algebra II and Algebra II students and over 90% of Math Model Students passing their taks tests
    Pre-AP World History
    ****** High School, City, TX
    Teacher August 2009-May 2010
    Geometry, Pre-Calculus, TAKS
    • Exit Level TAKS pass rates went from 72% to 93%
    ****** High School, CIty, TX
    Student Teacher, October 2004-December 2004
    Advanced Placement United States History
    ******* Middle School, City, TX
    Student Teacher, August 2004-October 2004
    Texas History, United States History

EMPLOYMENT********, City. TX
    Electronic Technician, March 1989-July 2009
    United States Air Force, Fort Worth, TX
    Electronic Technician, August 1983-April 1987

PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT• The Flipped Classroom with Johnathan Bergmann and Aaron Sams, Lovejoy ISD,
    August 2012
    • Reasoning And Sense Making In High School Mathematics, National Council of
    Mathematics, July 2012
    • Differentiating Math Instruction in the Secondary Classroom, Lovejoy ISD, July 2012
    • The Marshall Immersion Workshop, The George C. Marshall International Center in
    Leesburg VA, July 2011
    • Mathematics: Pre-AP High School, Texas Christian University, June 2011

VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE/HONORS/MEMBERSHIPS• Member of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
    • Member of the Mathematical Association of America
    • Member of the American Historical Association
    • Coached Select, Pony, and Little League Baseball for 7 seasons
    • Received Exceptional Performance awards while employed at Boeing in 1995, 2001, and 2003
    • Received the Master Technician Award while employed by the United States Air Force in 1986

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 3, 2013

What about EOC or STAAR? TAKS is outdated.

9. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Feb 3, 2013

This year I have my first EOC students. I teach 10th and up.

10. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Feb 4, 2013

IDK about objective. Many people seem to think it's unnecessary; I always see mixed responses around here on this board. I know that none of the teachers around here that I know have an objective on their resume. It eats up space.

I would change some of the verbs and wording. Instead of "Make use of technology," I would write something along the lines of "Incorporated technology in the classroom" or "Implemented technology in the classroom."

Supplied students with videos of their tests being graded? Do you mean as you were grading them, you recorded yourself explaining their errors? I'm a little fuzzy on this one. If so, I might word it to something like, "Created videos for students as I graded their exams, giving them individualized feedback in order for them to..."

"Lead students to a deeper conceptual understanding of mathematical concepts through hands on projects and inquiry based instruction" I feel like this should be led. Also, I would reword it. Perhaps something like "Created a classroom environment that allows students to gain a deeper conceptual understanding of mathematical concepts through inquiry based instruction and hands on projects." I know I used created in the last bulletpoint as well, but it's early and theres many other words. I don't really like supplied; you didn't supply them with the videos, you created and designed that resource for them.

Also, "Strong classroom management strategies," should be, at the very least, "Demonstrated strong classroom management strategies."

11. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Feb 4, 2013

Thank you for your suggestions. I knew my accomplish statements needed work. What you gave me will help. Thank you very much.